Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 11:03 PM

22 posts, read 35,468 times

Advertisements

So far I am finding everyone wonderfully friendly but not very helpful...I will explain.

Since we are new I was looking for a little league for my son. I contacted RRBL and they said, welcome to the area but we are closed try again in the fall.

I wanted to find out about umpiring they said welcome to the area but we don't have any classes until next year.

I don't expect people to drop everything to take up my cause but I don't know anyone here I am just looking for a little guidance. Maybe I didn't contact the right folks I don't know.

Definitely not disappointed I have loved the 2 weeks I have been here...especially this weather so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 07:46 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeJamie View Post
So far I am finding everyone wonderfully friendly but not very helpful...I will explain.

Since we are new I was looking for a little league for my son. I contacted RRBL and they said, welcome to the area but we are closed try again in the fall.

I wanted to find out about umpiring they said welcome to the area but we don't have any classes until next year.

I don't expect people to drop everything to take up my cause but I don't know anyone here I am just looking for a little guidance. Maybe I didn't contact the right folks I don't know.

Definitely not disappointed I have loved the 2 weeks I have been here...especially this weather so far.
I'll call you Jaimie, Hi Jamie,
I don't see that as particularly intentionally unhelpful, if something you want isn't open or they don't have classes until next year, those folks cannot be helpful because there is no way to help you.

Now if you told me you were in the parking lot in need of a jump and everyone scurried to their cars without making eye contact and there you sat for a couple of hours with jumper cables in hand and no one willing to stop and assist, then I'd say they were unhelpful. My experience has been strangers here are much more helpful in that manner than I'd experienced in So Cal, the Northeast, or Seattle (the other three regions where I've lived).

Old 03-05-2011, 11:18 AM

40 posts, read 221,219 times
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm glad to hear that some of this may be in my head, but also relieved that others feel the same way.

mark311, I have not used meetup.com, but I recently used a similar site and made plans to hang out with a guy and got stood up after about 5 days of planning (never heard from him again).

Just to clarify, of the people I "know," about 50% are from out-of-state, 40% are Texans and 10% are Austin natives (my approximation).

Last edited by jonsoncd; 03-05-2011 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: none

Old 03-05-2011, 12:34 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeJamie View Post

Check out the YMCA for their youth leagues. I could be wrong, but my bet is that the RRBL is probably more serious about themselves than they need to be or should be. If you're more than a couple miles West of I35 in RR, I might even check out the Cedar Park YMCA leagues over the RR ones. My kids aren't old enough yet, but I think most of my neighbors' kids play there.

Twin Lakes Family YMCA - YMCA of Greater Williamson County (http://www.ymcagwc.org/twin-lakes/index.php - broken link)

Old 03-06-2011, 05:24 AM

170 posts, read 826,881 times
I had a conversation with my partner about this after we visited Austin last year. I was blown away by how friendly EVERYONE we had contact with was. It was so nice and refreshing compared to life in NYC where you often run into unfriendly people, even in a business setting! My partner, a native Texan, argued that the friendliness isn't necessarily genuine. He said that it's true that everyone seems friendly, but that doesn't mean they all want to be your best friend, that's just how they are in Austin. And that I noticed it because I'm so frustrated with the rudeness I encounter in NYC.

So let's say most people in Austin are quite friendly but not all are necessarily jumping down your throat to be your best friend tomorrow. I'll take that mentality over what I experience in NYC, which is that many (not most, but many) people are rude, and certainly nobody is jumping down your throat to be your best friend tomorrow!

(There are tons of super-friendly people in NYC too, of course. But has anyone ever interacted with any employee of ANY Duane Reade pharmacy or asked for help from an MTA employee in a subway station? Then you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about!)

I agree with the person who said you should check out meetup. It's a great way to meet people with similar interests. And although some people might "flake" and not show up to the meetup activity, at least a few people will! You won't get stood up by everyone! :-)

Old 03-06-2011, 10:28 AM

40 posts, read 221,219 times
Where I come from, we don't pretend to be your friend. Yes, there are fake people in Ohio, but we don't take you on a ride and make plans that we don't intend to keep. We'll be cordial, say "nice to meet you," and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin