Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 12:03 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,109,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
I may be wrong but it seems like the cost to rent a place in a walkable area = the cost to rent a place a little further out + the costs to own a car so you don't really save all that much and have the added inconvenience of not have control over your transportation.
How much do you think it costs to own a car? The average cost in 2006 to own and operate a car was over $8,000/year or $666/month. Even if you are in the lowest 20%, meaning you are driving a cheap and probably unreliable car it was $2,856/year or $238/month. And those numbers were estimated back when gas was only $2.56/gallon.

Some people are able to live without a car and do just fine. And are better off financially because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 12:16 PM

293 posts, read 730,893 times
Wow, that average cost is nuts to me. Adding fudge to how much I pay after gas / insurance I doubt I even break $200/month. My car is aged but it's been reliable as hell in the 7 years I've had it.

People spend way too much money on massive pieces of metal we hurtle down the road at 70mph.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:19 PM

732 posts, read 2,127,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
How much do you think it costs to own a car? The average cost in 2006 to own and operate a car was over $8,000/year or $666/month. Even if you are in the lowest 20%, meaning you are driving a cheap and probably unreliable car it was $2,856/year or $238/month. And those numbers were estimated back when gas was only $2.56/gallon.

Some people are able to live without a car and do just fine. And are better off financially because of it.
It costs me $475/mo to own and operate two cars at current gas prices.

My mortgage with PITI is <$800/mo so add in my car expenses that are greater than necessary because of my hobby that makes it about $1250 a month. What will it cost to rent a 3 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage house in one of the hip, walkable areas?

To make it more fair, the houses in my neighborhood are renting for about $1250/month. So, add in 475 and we are at $1725. Is that more than a 3/2/2 in a hip, walkable area?

Old 05-04-2011, 02:23 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,776,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
It costs me $475/mo to own and operate two cars at current gas prices.

My mortgage with PITI is <$800/mo so add in my car expenses that are greater than necessary because of my hobby that makes it about $1250 a month. What will it cost to rent a 3 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage house in one of the hip, walkable areas?

To make it more fair, the houses in my neighborhood are renting for about $1250/month. So, add in 475 and we are at $1725. Is that more than a 3/2/2 in a hip, walkable area?
Why would someone in a walkable area with either 1 or zero cars need a 2 car garage?

Old 05-04-2011, 02:26 PM

732 posts, read 2,127,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Why would someone in a walkable area with either 1 or zero cars need a 2 car garage?
Because I am trying to compare apples to apples.

-or-

Because so many people can't let go of their junk and need it for storage.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spelrod View Post
Wow, that average cost is nuts to me. Adding fudge to how much I pay after gas / insurance I doubt I even break $200/month. My car is aged but it's been reliable as hell in the 7 years I've had it.

People spend way too much money on massive pieces of metal we hurtle down the road at 70mph.
You are probably not including ALL of the LIFETIME costs of owning and operating a car, including insurance, repairs, tires, and you wisely bought one that has been reliable, although 7 years isn't very old if you bought it brand new. I agree with your last sentence, people tend to buy far more automobile then they actually need.

I was shocked after buying my first house to learn that an acquaintance had bought a brand new Corvette, at a cost that was about half of what I paid for my house. I remember thinking it was like driving my house, my most valuable possession down the road putting it at risk of someone crashing into it.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:49 PM

293 posts, read 730,893 times
It's a '96 Accord so it was already somewhat old when I bought it. I spend $60/month on insurance, $100/month gas and fudged $40/month for regular maintenance which is probably high, actually. I guess if you stretch the $7000 I paid for it over 7 years it adds $84/month. Overall I'd say $300/month over the life of the vehicle.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:06 PM

19 posts, read 27,940 times
Thanks for all the replies! I will check out some of these links.

I spent 7 years living in the Florida Panhandle. It gets just as hot, if not hotter then Texas. So I am use to the heat. That shouldn't be a problem. And if I must get somewhere without being sweating, I can always take a cab.

I've gone most of my life without a car. So it shouldn't be too much of a problem for me. I just need to make sure that it's possible for people to get around without it. As I plan of waiting at least a min of 6 months before trying to get one. Too many other concerns to worry about. So it would be a little less stress on my end.

I do plan on trying to find work at one of the clubs bouncing. I do have a few questions if someone could help me.

1. How late are the clubs open? In Florida everything stays open until 4am. I thought I read somewhere every shuts down at 2am?

2. What are some popular places? I'd rather work at a bigger nightclub then a small bar.

3. How many days a week are they open? I know some cities the clubs are really only busy on weekends. Other places they are up and running 7 days a week.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:09 PM

743 posts, read 1,374,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfirex007 View Post
So my question how hard is it to get around without a car?
PRETTY DARN HARD.

I've lived in cities before without a car. Austin is not one I would even consider living in without a car.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spelrod View Post
It's a '96 Accord so it was already somewhat old when I bought it. I spend $60/month on insurance, $100/month gas and fudged $40/month for regular maintenance which is probably high, actually. I guess if you stretch the $7000 I paid for it over 7 years it adds $84/month. Overall I'd say $300/month over the life of the vehicle.
I was betting it was a Honda!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: