Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 09:30 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post

But you know what Austin really lacks - a good local bagel place. Nobody here knows how to make a real authentic bagel.
ha! I was waiting till someone mentioned bagels! We don't have them either, just save time and forget the search. It seems that the secret to NY bagels and pizza is the water (NYC water is some of the best in the world) without the water and minerals in it . . . pizza and bagels are just not the same.

Secret to NYC drinking water at the center of South Florida lawsuits - Sun Sentinel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 09:34 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
ha! I was waiting till someone mentioned bagels! We don't have them either, just save time and forget the search. It seems that the secret to NY bagels and pizza is the water (NYC water is some of the best in the world) without the water and minerals in it . . . pizza and bagels are just not the same.

Secret to NYC drinking water at the center of South Florida lawsuits - Sun Sentinel
That's definitely true. The tap water in Austin tastes horrible. I can't remember how the water in Boston tasted. I don't know if it's as good as New York City's, but they definitely know how to make good pizza in Boston.

No, I think the real problem is that there aren't really any Italians in Austin. The cities that have great pizza on the East Coast all have a history of Italian immigrant communities who passed down their knowledge of how to make good pizza.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:44 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
No, I think the real problem is that there aren't really any Italians in Austin. The cities that have great pizza on the East Coast all have a history of Italian immigrant communities who passed down their knowledge of how to make good pizza.

No doubt! I grew up in a city chock full of Italians -- nearly all restaurants are Italian there -- I don't even both in Austin. I wait until I visit. Just like I never eat Tex-Mex north of Dallas.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:25 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
As a Philly native, I can tell you that you won't find anything close to what you get on the East Coast here in Austin. With that said, I will say that Saccone's is as close as I've found. I also like Tony C's in the Hill Country Galleria. A little fancy for a pizza place, but decent pies.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:38 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,123 times
In my experience, the pizza here runs the gamut from atrocious - too many places to mention, but Mangia, Frank and Angies and Brick Oven stand out as particularly terrible - to the mediocre - Saccone's, Gino's, Austin Pizza, Red House - to the passable, East Side Pies, Mandola, Cippolina, East Side Pies, Homeslice, House Pizzeria. Chain pizza is reliably appalling across the U.S., so no mention of Pizza Hut or Mr. Gatti's etc. necessary.

I agree with the earlier posts about not eating pizza in Austin. House pizzeria is the only pizza in town that has not left me wishing I had eaten something else and on occasion Homeslice.

Eating pizza here is like eating Tex-Mex in Idaho, food made by people with no clue, no access to the right ingredients and who could care less. There are no Italians here. Don't do it. There is plenty of other good, cheap food: Tex-Mex, BBQ, Vietnamese. I have given up. I eat excellent pizza, and Italian food when I travel. Austin does many things well - pizza ain't one of them.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:08 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I will say that Saccone's is as close as I've found. I also like Tony C's in the Hill Country Galleria. A little fancy for a pizza place, but decent pies.
Long Island native here. Tony C's is my favorite by far. I like Yaghi's better than Saccone's and Reale's better than both.

JMO! The pizza wars rage on...I'm just glad we have a few choices here. My brother lives in Dallas and he thinks the pizza is much better here in Austin. It must REALLY be bad there lol.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:53 PM

515 posts, read 1,396,933 times
We LOVE House Pizzaria on Airport Blvd.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:35 PM

94 posts, read 351,621 times
Default Home Slice

Home Slice is by far one of the best tasting pizzas I have ever eaten. It is New York style but has Austin flair. The pepperoni is just unbelievable...

(I have eaten at the best pizza places in Chicago and New York)

Old 09-20-2011, 12:47 AM

662 posts, read 1,450,702 times
The best pizza I have ever had in my life, and I have been to Italy several times, is at North in The Domain. They make a cracker thin crust with buffalo mozzarella, prosciutto, and fresh figs. To die for! If you are looking for the traditional cheese-laden, greasy pie, then this is not for you.

By the way, I find the pizzas in Italy bear little resemblance to the much praised NY or Chicago pies. I guess all dishes undergo their local permutations.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:12 AM

732 posts, read 2,125,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
to the passable, East Side Pies, Mandola, Cippolina, East Side Pies, Homeslice, House Pizzeria.
House is some of the worst I've had. I went to Mandola last week for the first time. I didn't get pizza but was very disappointed with what I got. Very bland. Since you are recommending East Side Pies twice I should try that. I do like Homeslice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin