Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 08:08 AM

677 posts, read 653,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
Sounds very intriguing ... any suggestions for time and day for someone who has to come up from the hinterlands (San Marcos). Thinking about traffic ...
Well it's smack-dab in the middle of downtown, so take normal traffic conditions into consideration. And definately if you are coming with more than just one other person, or at a peak time - make reservations. The group that went to this is a regular foodie group I'm part of that visits different places around town and such ... we tried going a few months back but couldn't get in because we didn't get reservations in time (and we usually go on Thursdays so it wasn't even a weekend).

If you go early enough, say 6:30 or before, and it's just you and a date you would probably be ok, but I'd call to ask them just to be safe, or just make the reservation (you can do it online without having to call). Something else I didn't mention is that they make a pretty mean cocktail as well, and if you are a wine drinker they have some nice happy hour specials on those (or at least did when we were there).

Old 08-27-2015, 06:36 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Yeah, 'our' new Smokey Mo's is just a new rendition of the formula...but shiny and new. I sure wish they would offer some more sides and PULLED PORK; although I've enjoyed all the meats I've tried there. Ribs are my favorite! I've only been there once this week and it's already Wednesday! Hmmm...what's for dinner?

Stiles Switch is a smidge overrated, IMO. The TexasGunTalk group has been there for Friday lunch a few times and most of them are 'meh' about going back(except for the location being convenient for some). I'd choose Mann's over Stiles Switch 99 times out of 99. Get there before 1130 unless you like waiting in line(Stiles Switch, that is)...it goes nuts at lunch.

I don't really understand Verts...those waffle pockets are tough to chew after they cool a bit(as can be the meat). I always feel like I got a jaw workout after eating there. I prefer a pita pocket for sandwiches, I reckon...but I'm cutting down on 'bread' anyway, dang it.
Ok then, I'll try the ribs next time I'm in there. Thanks, I'll give Mann's a try then!

Yeah, I agree, Verts was alright, I wasn't amazed by it though.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:46 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,751 times
Indian:

Star of India located on Anderson Lane, sort of near Lowe's and HopDoddy in a shopping center. Been wanting to check this place out since I moved to Austin. It looks old school and that's a good sign to me. Buffet was excellent, perhaps better then Asiana which takes forever to get to coming from North.

On HopDoddy since I mentioned - we have stopped going there, the lines are too long almost always. Great burgers but we don't have time or patience and there are other options.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:59 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
Indian:

Star of India located on Anderson Lane, sort of near Lowe's and HopDoddy in a shopping center. Been wanting to check this place out since I moved to Austin. It looks old school and that's a good sign to me. Buffet was excellent, perhaps better then Asiana which takes forever to get to coming from North.

On HopDoddy since I mentioned - we have stopped going there, the lines are too long almost always. Great burgers but we don't have time or patience and there are other options.
Star of India buffet...where you are hard-pressed to find food that isn't ORANGE

Old 12-09-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
Indian:

Speaking of HopDoddy's crazy lines (which I agree on), if you are in the area of Anderson, right around the corner from there is Twisted Root Burger on Burnett, which I have found to be a really good substitute for Hopdoddy. It started up in Dallas, and after gaining fame on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives has since opened a few more locations including here. (Now I'm by no means a fan of Guy, but just giving some background on the origin of TR) I find TR to have some really good burgers. I'm not fond of the fried pickles, the sweet potato chips and onion rings are very good, and the burgers are pretty legit. They also have a cool "flavored pickle bar" concept. And Maine Root Sodas, which is a big plus for me.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:58 AM

... also a few more places I have tried recently that stood out:

1. Juliet Ristorante - another Italian place in town. I will say that the service that we got here was outstanding, some of the best I have had in town. The waiter very knowledgeable about the wines and food, and just gave top-notch service. The food was very good. Not spectacular mind you, certainly not challenging a place like Vespaio, but really very good. The Fritto Misto and Arrancini appetizers were both very tasty. My main was a saffron risotto with seared scallops. The risotto was just slightly under done which made it not great, but the scallops were perfectly seared and delicious. Nothing earth shattering here, but definitely enjoyable, accessible, and worth a return.

2. Eastside King - I finally made it here, and well ... LOVE, love, love. The menu is not expansive, but I ordered one of their bento boxes, and I can say that everything I ate was perfect. There was not one single component that could have been executed better, or that needed any additions or subtractions. Sublimely good.

3. Ramen Tatsu-ya - Lives up to the hype. Another place without an expansive menu, but you won't find a better bowl of Ramen in town. Excellent, perfectly prepared food.

4. Papalote Taco - Great tacos here. The lengua actually was very unique in my opinion of it. I love real, serious Mexican food, and lengua is a personal favorite - but I find most places that serve it, it's either awful or amazing there is no in between ground. The lengua here is that in between. Cooked really well, with some good flavor, but not really stewed to tender perfection the way that great Lengua is. That being said, everything else I had here was amazing, it is a wonderful little taco spot, very authentic and delicious.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:28 AM

5 posts, read 5,885 times
Pieous! LOVE IT! Our other normals for eating in Southwest Austin are SaltLick, Torchys, PTerry. Those are our main places we like to eat.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:40 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Really tasty 'longhorn' burger at Top Notch on Saturday. Small FIAT owners' meeting there...gonna make it a regular thing on second Saturdays each month. Retro grilled burger with slightly charred edges and a griddled bun...yum. They are also known for their fried chicken(similar to the style I grew up with in South Carolina). The place is 44 years old and was a 'retro' design back then! Same folks own Zocalo and Galaxy, but this is definitely old school. Worth a trip!!!
Top Notch Hamburgers Austin Texas | 7525 Burnet Road

Old 12-17-2015, 07:39 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
Threadgills on North Lamar. I had the chicken livers, mashed potatoes with cream gravy, butter beans and collard greens, and sweet tea. It was so damn good. So delicious. Theirs is the best chicken livers i ever ate, anywhere. About the only times I ever go to Threadgills is when I'm hungry for chicken livers. I don't care for their cornbread, though. What Threadgills is calling cornbread is more like muffins or cupcakes than cornbread. Not having real cornbread kinda messed up the butter beans because beans are always best with cornbread. But everything else was the best. No complaints here. Except the mashed potatoes were only luke warm and I needed to add some salt to the gravy, no big deal. Still mighty tasty and filling.. On scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate that meal about an 8.8. Chicken livers are out of this world. They gave me so many I took nearly half of them home with me, along with fresh full sides, too. So I had Threadgills for dinner and supper that day. Worth the price, for sure.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:32 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,697 times
+1 Pieous, we used to go a lot when we lived SW.

-1 Salt Lick. They've raised their prices and while the scenery is great and it's a wonderful spot for an outdoor meal, they long ago dropped off even the top 10 for Austin area BBQ. I've never had really good BBQ there and I've always paid for the privilege.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin