Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:03 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times

Advertisements

The funny thing about family....years ago when I moved to Austin, our families were not here. They weren't as far away as California, but as time passed, most of our families now live within 90 miles of us.

Surely some of the extended family will find a trip to Austin a fun idea. I doubt you'll be alone (though I could be completely wrong depending on the personality of your extended family).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 08:04 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Absolutely. To give up everything just to be able to afford a large house is completely INSANE!! Especially since most homes in central Austin aren't much cheaper than much of the bay area (if you figure the astronomical property taxes of Travis County/Texas)

Year after year, im amazed how many people make this silly move from the bay area to Texas. Can't afford the bay area, fine. Then move to Sacramento which is another great city in the greatest state in the nation.
But somehow, you continue to live here in what must be hell for you.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:42 AM

105 posts, read 338,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticool View Post
I don't expect TX to be immune from job loss but CA just about sets the bar. Of the top 10 worst places to find a job in the US 7 of them are in CA.
You forgot that Austin is a quite smaller job market compared to Bay area.

Myself having moved from Bay area a month ago, if you're not lucky finding a job right away, after awhile you just exhaust your list of every suitable employer in the city. It's not like Bay area where new jobs pop up every week. Also, if your skills are not very general, the market would be very club-like where everybody knows everybody and hires people they know, prepare to network a lot even if it's not your comfort zone.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:28 AM

152 posts, read 280,993 times
I lived in Marin for 18 years and San Diego for 35 years before moving to Austin about 5 years ago. Cali used to be one of the greatest places in the world to live, but IMO it is too crowded and too expensive now. I sum it up by saying Austin compared to Cali (for me) is twice the quality of life at half the price.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:09 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,843 times
Quote:
it is too crowded and too expensive now
Funny but as someone who has lived in Austin for 30 years, it seems impossibly crowded and expensive here to me now.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:12 PM

662 posts, read 1,451,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave bacon View Post
I lived in Marin for 18 years and San Diego for 35 years before moving to Austin about 5 years ago. Cali used to be one of the greatest places in the world to live, but IMO it is too crowded and too expensive now. I sum it up by saying Austin compared to Cali (for me) is twice the quality of life at half the price.
My husband was offered a job in San Jose years ago when we first decided to come to Texas. The pay was only 10K more than the job offer from Texas Instruments in Dallas. Looking at the prices of houses in Silicon Valley, we realized that with my husband's Ph.D and my BS in education, it would be like being among the working poor!

I remember at that time--2001, a three bedroom ranch in a town with not the best schools, was over 700k.

Although we would have loved the climate and beauty of CA, for us choosing Texas was a no brainer. We didn't have family or friends in CA however.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:34 PM

112 posts, read 280,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Your assessment of home prices is way off base. Bay Area housing is an order of magnitude higher than Austin. SF average price is $700k, Austin is less than $200k.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And when considering taxes, you have to look at the entire picture. What you save in Bay Area property taxes, you will more than make up in income taxes.
You don't really save anything on property taxes in the Bay Area though... 1.25% on a $700k home is $8,750 a year, you would have to have a tax rate of 4% here to match that amount on a $200k home... Most of the tax rates at the homes we're looking at are between 2.3% and 2.6%...

Old 02-06-2012, 07:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,156 times
Default LA to Austin

My daughter and I have lived in NW Austin for almost two years. I call it Awesome Austin, because it's almost perfect in so many ways. My daughter and I live in an affordable duplex close to everything we need, she attends a great school and traffic here is nothing compared to what's in Los Angeles. The I-35 traffic is bad because there are not enough lanes. I have found terrific restaurants just by trying out places. People here are friendly, polite and thoughtful. Even the drivers here are considerate. When I drive my daughter to school, we pass fenced pastures where cows graze. If you leave early in the morning, you will see deer grazing next to Parmer Lane. One might even jump out in front of your car. Spring is wonderful here. Nothing like the warm breezes and the thunderstorms.

Why am I leaving today?

In spite of the perfection, I miss California. Texas is great, but I miss the mountains, the ocean and my family. My daughter seems lonely and I am bored. I don't do much socializing outside of work; I am not much of a drinker. The biggest recreation activity here is to go to the lake.

We visited Los Angeles and I was overwhelmed by the beauty (crystal-clear day) when we arrived. By the time we left, the smaze (smog-haze) had reappeared, but that didn't matter so much.

I am leaving today, because I miss California and family. I feel stuck. I am richer for the experience of living here and I don't regret the move to Awesome Austin, but its time for me to go. If I won the lottery, I would live in Austin while my daughter finished school and travel every chance I could.

There are alot of Bay Area/Northern and San Diego, California transplants here. You will like it here. However, if you are like me in appreciating the beauty of California and are drawn to the ocean - you will get homesick. Fortunately, you have friends here - that gives you a jumpstart. I knew no one. People here are supportive and nice, but difficult to befriend, at least to me.

You will be amused, amazed and adjusted by Austin. Its kid- and pet- friendly.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:01 AM

18 posts, read 34,629 times
Thanks again for all the feedback, this is really helping me consider the impact moving this far from family might have on me.

I haven't seen as many jobs in Austin or San Antonio as I had hoped for that matter that would be a good fit for me. A few here and there but not an overwhelming supply. My wife and I are still heading out there in a couple weeks and I am very excited to visit. I have not ruled out moving if the stars align and a great opportunity comes up but so far I am seeing much more in SoCal than any other area I'm interested in.

I know the geography of CA would be missed but some of the things I love to do I could do more in Austin. Shooting is big on the list as is swimming. The one BIG con about staying in CA for me is that our kids would be in private Christian school here where as I'd be more open to public schools in TX due to the different state regulations on curriculum. That is a big expense piled on already big expenses associated with staying in this state.

Bottom line is I have a healthy list of pros and cons and I'm hoping that between our gut-check visit to Austin, job opportunities (here or there), and some guidance from above we will land where we are supposed to be.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:51 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Would somebody from the Bay Area be underwhelmed by Austin... or Chicago/LA to Austin? That would be my biggest fear. I don't care about the family scene at all, that is actually a bit of a negative to me. What do people in their 30s and single do in Austin? Are there good 30s single scenes in Austin like there are in the Bay, Chicago or LA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin