Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 08:26 AM

6 posts, read 5,844 times

Advertisements

Backstory: I had unfortunate of tooth #4 being cracked whole the way through root. One part of tooth is loose but did not came out, second part is appear to be solid yet. My general doctor advise tooth extraction and installing either a bridge or implant. I want to install impant but this in general quite expensive in USA and never covered by insurances. So I consulted with my dentist from my home country and he advised me that if I can temporaly fix it here, so they could remove it when I will get back home - they will be able to install implant right after extracting tooth.

My question: Do anyone know a doctor who will be willing to do something like bonding tooth together just to stop part of tooth movement and close hole so no food get into it? I totally understand it will not be reliable, but I just need temporal fix until I get back home. And I do not want to do full blown impant job here, as it is 8-times more expensive and not covered by my insurance (I believe no insurances cover implants)

ANy ideas are very welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 10:55 AM

499 posts, read 1,306,531 times
Can't they just pull the tooth and leave it empty? Lots of people lose teeth and don't get a bridge or implant to replace it. You will have to be careful eating while it heals and closes naturally but it shouldn't be that bad.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:31 AM

55 posts, read 233,892 times
Some employers do have benefit coverage for implants.

There are a few steps to an implant, so the total may not be 8x more as your doctor back home says, but still probably a lot cheaper than the US.

Call Dr. Howard Polansky at GoDental in Pflugerville (512) 252-4655. He's seen your post and will try and help you as best he can.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:39 AM

I will be in my home country for a month and my dentist advised that in order to put implant in such a short time tooth need to be extracted right before implanting implant. That's why I want to keep it where it is now until I get back home.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:05 PM

55 posts, read 233,892 times
Dr. Polansky said that there are bonding techniques that will hold something in that space until you get it permanently fixed. Give him a call at (512) 252-4655 and mention your City-Data post.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbatoo View Post
Dr. Polansky said that there are bonding techniques that will hold something in that space until you get it permanently fixed. Give him a call at (512) 252-4655 and mention your City-Data post.
Thank you! This sounds like exactly what I need!

Old 05-19-2012, 09:05 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,058,220 times
My dentist pulled out a few of my back teeth and then put a bone extract under the gums in their place. She did that so if there ever comes the day that I want/can afford an implant, the gums will be "secure" enough to hold the implant in place.

I'd suggest that, rather than some fancy super-glue type of procedure.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:32 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippich View Post
I will be in my home country for a month and my dentist advised that in order to put implant in such a short time tooth need to be extracted right before implanting implant. That's why I want to keep it where it is now until I get back home.
I just have to say, that sounds bizarre. The practice here is to extract the tooth, then wait 6-9 months for the bone to grow into the area before attempting an implant. There is a local dentist who advertises same-day extraction and implants but he is generally considered to be a quack by other local dentists. (Quack = bad doctor)

Old 05-20-2012, 08:20 AM

I am pretty sure it is not true anymore. Technology advances - Dental Implants in One Day | Teeth Implants | Cosmetic Dentistry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin