Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 12:46 PM

445 posts, read 1,809,752 times

Advertisements

I had visited Austin about 2 years ago, and am now back looking......Since the downfall in the economy and what not, can anyone who moved from CA to TX, tell me how they feel now? The same, would you still move, or go back to CA? Still love Austin or would you have gone to another part of Texas?

We ar in So Cal, and have talked about leaving for about 4 years, we gotta get outta here!! For the main reasons...
A better quality of life
A slower pace
Better schools
Nicer people

Are these still there in your opinion, and what are the best areas to live in and why, in your opinion. We are making a trip there in the next month, we will also be visitng the Dallas area.

Oh also, I am a native Californian, but do not worry about missing the beach, diversity, museums, and stuff like that...I am a stay at home mommy of 3 little ones, 6 and under. We just want a little space a a great place to "raise" them.

Thanks so much in advance!! Have a great hot day, we are here about 101!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,405 times
We moved to Austin from CA about 5 years ago. We were up in the SF area for about 16 years so, I cannot tell a lie, we miss our friends but Austin is a great place and probably the only place for Californians to move to in TX as I'd say it's as diverse and as accepting as it gets in this state. (You'd probably not get any different story from anyone else in TX as most think Austin is pretty weird ... much too liberal!).

As you can imagine ... when we moved, our 3 children (that were spread across the 3 levels of schools) were all a little "skeptical" of the change but all had immediate and very positive school experiences (even moving mid-term). Our eldest was in high school and when I asked him what he did for school lunch on his first day he told me that he picked up his lunch, went to an empty table and then a whole bunch of other kids just came over and started chatting to him. I'm not sure if that would happen in most high school's across the country (maybe it would) but it definitely demonstrated the general friendly attitude down here (and a relief to us parents!).

If you're looking for a move from CA, Austin is a truly great place to consider. Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:26 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,277 times
Default good luck to you

I cant belive all of texas wants to be a dumping ground for everone in the us who needs a job. I dont blame you for wanting out of cali .but belive me lots and lots and lots of people have the same idea you do.I just left austin. it is a great city but how much can it take.I would look around a bit more because it sounds like austin could become a tent city before its all over.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:08 PM

743 posts, read 1,371,302 times
Just a quick caveat: there is a distinct "anti-Californians moving to Texas" sentiment on this board, but I haven't experienced it in real life here in Austin. So I wouldn't write Austin off for that reason if you read it on this board.

Having spent much of my life in California, I think you will find the following things you were looking for to be true in your move here:

A better quality of life
A slower pace
Better schools
Nicer people
- I don't know about "nicer", but certainly more neighborly. Much easier to meet and actually know your neighbors here in my experience.

They are very different places and I see pros and cons to each, but if you are looking for the list you identified above, then I would say you would probably be very happy here.

Good luck!

Old 06-27-2009, 02:13 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
One difference between CA and TX is the general feel toward government. Texans are big believers in smaller government and in general less interference by the governmnet in private business. From what I understand, CA tends to be more of a 'nanny state' government. True or false?

Libertarian Party of California (http://ca.lp.org/lp20070403.shtml - broken link) (bias warning: this is from the Libertarian Party of CA)

Old 06-27-2009, 02:49 PM

Default ????????????????????

Iam guessing the welcome mat is being put out by former ca residents mostly.when has a great city like austin benefited from so many jobless people, or even employed coming in so fast? you lose all that small town feel, the schools become over crowded, and people become less friendly. what do you want ca part 2 here in austin? this has nothing to do with goverment here. its just like people running like roachs when the lights come on.and there coming to austin fast to fast. I wish everyone luck finding a better life in these hard times but maybe we should spread out a little or austin could end up not being what it is today.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:13 PM

445 posts, read 1,809,752 times
if anyone READ my post, i thank those that actually answered it...I said NOTHING about jobs, jobless...We are self employed and make a VERY good living here, monetarily. So that has nothing to do with the move, the things i stated were the reasons....

Besides if you think Austin is a "dumping ground" visit Ca, EVERYONE moves here, and IMO there are alot of things that ruined California, but you don't see that CA board bashing everyone who has moved here....

Mimimom, YES i think CA seems to be that want to help everyone state as you put it Nanny state, I personally am a repulican, i believe in the death penalty, and marriage between a man and woman, CA is very much none of those things. This is MY opinion, and really i think i want a stronger sense of value for my kids, yes what we teach them is what we believe, BUT if the influence around them is so not what we believe, it is going to be a long road.

britintex, I will say that your experience has sounded great, I would like that for my own children as well.....What are your thoughts on the elementary schools, Ca has faced some serious budget cuts, Are the schools there offered PE, Art, Music or anything?? What do you think of the education on a whole?

Also i know that the registration fees vary, in CA, it is based on a state as a whole, i think it is something by like where you live there, and ideas n fees, or examples for that matter?

I read somehwere that someone stated that 25% of Texans are unisured Health wise, does anyone have a thought on that? I have no idea what it is here, or how i even find out, i know that is the first bill i pay each month, before anything else, and it is not a cheap one, as i do not excpect that to change much, even in moving to TX.

Thanks all, and for being welcoming, i know how these boards work, and alot of people talk trash to Californians, i will say when we did visit Austin, we did not encounter unfriendliness, everyone was very kind, and nice.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:19 PM

844 posts, read 2,019,647 times
You'll probably like Dallas better than Austin.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:31 PM

Default welcome I guess

you sound like a blast. have a safe trip.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:35 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,913 times
Austin is a great place, but not perfect. I don't know about others' experience with public schools, but my sister's experience, having seen two kids through the system, is that the schools are very narrow in their focus, and that focus is teaching to the tests. The state tests seem to be what education is about in Texas. And just from reading posts from teachers, it seems that in Texas, teachers are given very little latitude in teaching, and basically have a "cookbook". I would love to hear that the schools also believe in hands-on, experiencial learning, but I haven't heard that. So I am glad that I no longer have school aged children. The school system may be better that my what my limited experience tells me, but if I had young children, I would look into it carefully.

Concerning health care, there are a lot of uninsured people in Texas. I don't know the percentage. At one time, the national Children's Health program was only minimally implemented in Texas; my impression was that the State didn't want to pay the money to make sure that all children were insured, so they just made the paperwork terrible to keep the enrollment down. Now, that could have changed (that was under Gov. Bush), but I would be sure, in moving to Texas, that you know you will have health insurance, because the State is not too interested in helping out if you don't.

I'm sure others will have differing opinions and different (and more) experience than me. I'm not claiming to be an authority on these subjects. But I'm just saying that if these two things are important to you, look into them before moving.

Austin remains a great place to live, and I still love it, but everyplace has its weak points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin