Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 12:59 PM

14 posts, read 30,540 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else live in Meridian and use the entrance from 1826? You have to turn a sharp left into the community, and I definitely get beeped at ALL the time when entering from this side. There is a no-left-turn sign pointing at the exit (so as to avoid a head-on collision for anyone exiting Meridian to get onto 1826) but the left into the entrance seems to be fair game (break in the yellow lines). Are the people beeping at me confused when I enter Meridian this way, or am I confused? I see others entering from this way all the time as well, just some nasty beepers out there! Thanks! :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Left into Meridian from 1826-screen-shot-2012-06-19-1.55.17  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 01:44 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,660,788 times
Okay, if I am looking at this right, you mean you are heading south on 1826, and then you turn left into Meridian via Dalea Drive? It certainly looks like the 'Y' (or 'T', I guess) structure a the exit to Dalea seems to indicate that you are not meant to turn left into onto Dalea when coming from 1826. In fact, it looks like you would be forced to head directly into traffic leaving the neighborhood. It also appears there are no lines on that portion of the exit from the neighborhood, meaning that it is intended for one-way traffic. Also, the width at the smallest section definitely suggests one-way traffic. Finally, turning left off of 1826 in of itself would be hazardous, due to traffic coming from behind while you potentially have to wait for northbound traffic.

Actually, this seems to be a crazy thing to do, all things considered .

Old 06-19-2012, 01:50 PM

14 posts, read 30,540 times
In the "Y" shape, as you said, one lane is for exiting Meridian from Dalea, whether wanting to travel north or south on 1826, and the other is for entering Meridian. They are both definitely "one way".

Old 06-19-2012, 01:56 PM

499 posts, read 1,307,130 times
Surely the Y-shape is there to discourage you from turning left into the development (the required near-180º turn must be awkward) but whether that is enforceable the way it's currently signed, I don't know.

I'd probably beep too if someone is holding up 1826 traffic to make that left turn

Old 06-19-2012, 02:52 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,564,966 times
Based on the markings, it's not set up for entry from 1826 EXCEPT for right turns...at least, that's the way it looks from the picture. It appears to be one of those 'right in--right out only' intersections...haven't seen a bunch of those in Austin, but they were becoming popular in Atlanta subdivisions that had new or larger roads running adjacent to them.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:44 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,282,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyFriend View Post
Does anyone else live in Meridian and use the entrance from 1826? You have to turn a sharp left into the community, and I definitely get beeped at ALL the time when entering from this side. There is a no-left-turn sign pointing at the exit (so as to avoid a head-on collision for anyone exiting Meridian to get onto 1826) but the left into the entrance seems to be fair game (break in the yellow lines). Are the people beeping at me confused when I enter Meridian this way, or am I confused? I see others entering from this way all the time as well, just some nasty beepers out there! Thanks! :-)
PLEASE don't do this! You're a danger to yourself, people on Camp Ben road, and people exiting from Cherisse. The exit is a single lane out - not a bi-directional entrance. The only safe use is to exit from Cherisse to Camp Ben northbound, or to exit Camp Ben northbound. I realize it is a PITA to go out on Meridian Park Blvd. if you want to go south on Camp Ben. I have exited north, then turned around at JD's before. If you want to enter southbound, go eastbound on 45 and enter on Meridian Park.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:27 PM

326 posts, read 824,382 times
I don't believe a left turn from 1826 onto Dalea is permitted (or even possible - I'm amazed you have even tried this).

It's much easier to turn left from 1826 onto 45 and then a right onto Meridian Park Road.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:30 PM

326 posts, read 824,382 times
although to be fair to the OP, the yellow lines from the screen shot do sort of suggest it is possible, but I would never try it.... drive up to 45 and turn right onto Meridian Park Rd.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:08 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,437,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyFriend View Post
You are not supposed to turn left from 1826 into Meridian. Go on 45 and use that entrance. You deserve those beeps since you are doing something you shouldn't be doing. Do not do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin