Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:56 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times

Advertisements

Good grief, even "rainy" Seattle is dying from this drought, the worst in 56 years, and is turning to painting their brown lawns green.

Austin may have dodged a bullet with the recent rains, and the city lifting watering restrictions, but if lawns brown up again, do you think this is an option for you? (I'm thinking anybody in an HOA is gonna say no.)

Turf painting spreads as drought ravages lawns - seattlepi.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 03:59 AM

709 posts, read 1,401,774 times
In Texas brown lawns are just a part of the deal. lol

Old 07-27-2012, 04:14 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Good grief, even "rainy" Seattle is dying from this drought, the worst in 56 years, and is turning to painting their brown lawns green.
Austin may have dodged a bullet with the recent rains, and the city lifting watering restrictions, but if lawns brown up again, do you think this is an option for you? (I'm thinking anybody in an HOA is gonna say no.)
Turf painting spreads as drought ravages lawns - seattlepi.com
Never heard of such a thing! Grass is pretty tough and does bounce back without putting paint on it. Don't cut it while it is all brown, water if you can at night. My fear is that the paint will end up killing the grass permanently as underneath all that brown grass, believe it or not, the grass is still alive. We had some seriously hot weather here in Conn. as well and with just a few days of rain and more coming today, our grass has bounced right back. No paint!!

Old 07-27-2012, 06:53 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,689 times
I've never heard of it either. I'd never consider painting my lawn. Xeriscape is a more worthy goal in dry climates.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:54 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Never heard of such a thing! Grass is pretty tough and does bounce back without putting paint on it.
As the article mentions, golf courses are using it, so obviously the "paint"... maybe it should be called dye?... is not harmful to grass.

Maybe it's akin to that green fertilizer slurry containing grass seeds that highway crews spray onto areas where they've been doing earth moving in the medians or on the sides, in order to get a quick-start patch of grass. But that has always seemed a wimpy green to me, whereas these pics look more of a dark green.

Dunno. I'm constantly amazed at the time, effort, and money people put into trying to maintain green lawns in arrid climates.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:07 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
We keep our trees watered, which lowers the load on the grass. If it gets so bad that we can't keep it alive, so be it. Our HOA has already mentioned that they will not attempt to enforce the grass rules once it becomes futile, so we will just have a nice dirt/dead grass patch eventually w/o rain. OTOH, our early rains and a few well-timed showers have kept it really, really happy - I think the last few years of drought are re-training it .

Old 07-27-2012, 07:24 AM

7 posts, read 7,964 times
They would never allow that in my area. How trashy!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:42 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummy View Post
They would never allow that in my area. How trashy!
Not if done right. And what's better? A dry yard or a dry reservoir?

Old 07-27-2012, 07:44 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
Quote:
A dry yard or a dry reservoir?
Eh, bad choice...you can stop watering AND not paint your yard. It really is a bit weird to pretend your yard is not dead when it is.....

Old 07-27-2012, 08:19 AM

63 posts, read 127,777 times
It's like Weekend at Bernie's with your lawn!

Painting your lawn is just tacky. No one is going to fault you on a dead lawn when everyone else has brown grass, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin