Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 08:53 PM

67 posts, read 131,360 times

Advertisements

where is the best in austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 09:10 PM

3 posts, read 11,434 times
I'm not sure about "best", but McCormick and Schmicks in the Domain has a pretty good one with Flounder calamari shrimp mussels scallops clams in a tomato wine sauce.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:46 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,609 times
That is like asking who is the thinnest person on "The Biggest Loser." Drive to San Antonio or better, Houston. The seafood might be a tad fresher, maybe even unfrozen, and there is actually a small Italian community there.Moderator cut: inappropriate language

Last edited by Debsi; 08-24-2012 at 07:15 AM..

Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 PM

370 posts, read 862,987 times
Not that is matters alot but Cioppino is a San Francisco Italaian American dish, not native Italian...

Cioppino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas2029 View Post
where is the best in austin?
Well, hmmmm. I never would have considered looking for a signature San Francisco seafood specialty this far inland, near the epicenter of Texas BBQ.

But then again, I neither would have considered trying to find a good plate of 'cue in San Francisco. I think certain things just need to be enjoyed in their natural habitat.

That said, I've had the Cioppino at McCormick & Schmick's in San Francisco, and it was good. So if they offer it at their place in Austin, it's probably good.

For Italian food... but not Cioppino, I like Mandola's Market, at the Triangle (where Lamar meets Guadaloupe) Mandola's Italian Market

Old 08-24-2012, 05:28 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Well, hmmmm. I never would have considered looking for a signature San Francisco seafood specialty this far inland, near the epicenter of Texas BBQ.

But then again, I neither would have considered trying to find a good plate of 'cue in San Francisco. I think certain things just need to be enjoyed in their natural habitat.
I agree. I remember shortly after returning from a business trip to Boston that I ordered clam chowder at a local restaurant. Man was I disappointed. There are some things I've decided are best enjoyed in their natural habitat as OpenD says. Cioppino is definitely one of those (as is Boston clam chowder!).

Old 08-24-2012, 09:42 AM

370 posts, read 862,987 times
Good points. Try the BBQ in San Francisco - its generally horrible because they city does not allow low and slow wood cooking...

What passes for brisket out here is embarassing and expensive.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:32 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
Good points. Try the BBQ in San Francisco - its generally horrible because they city does not allow low and slow wood cooking...

What passes for brisket out here is embarassing and expensive.
I know I will get lots of negative points for this, but there is a place in San Rafael (Marin County, north of SF) that has the best BBQ ever - long slow cooking, wonderful sides - yum. I have never found a place as good as that in Texas. Sorry, but its true. Its called Texas Roadhouse, I think, and they sell Shiner and Lone Star. I wish I could find the same quality here.

As for cioppino, I haven't had it since southern CA. Had a big bowl years ago that came floating with tiny octopi. I carefully put them on the other side of the saucer, where I couldn't see them.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:07 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I know I will get lots of negative points for this, but there is a place in San Rafael (Marin County, north of SF) that has the best BBQ ever - long slow cooking, wonderful sides - yum. I have never found a place as good as that in Texas. Sorry, but its true. Its called Texas Roadhouse, I think, and they sell Shiner and Lone Star. I wish I could find the same quality here.
Texas Roadhouse in San Rafael is part of a 300-store chain, and they have 3 locations in the Austin area, so if that's what you like, you should go get you some. Ironically, despite the name, they started in Clarksville, Indiana and are now headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky. They're OK, but if you can't find better BBQ in the Austin area, I don't think you're really trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
As for cioppino, I haven't had it since southern CA. Had a big bowl years ago that came floating with tiny octopi. I carefully put them on the other side of the saucer, where I couldn't see them.
Oh, those are the best part, when you can get them.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:25 PM

67 posts, read 131,360 times
ok, we're just going to make it ourselves. where can i get somewhat fresh seafood in austin? east/west coast hippies need not respond...j/k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin