Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 06:28 PM

343 posts, read 1,608,679 times

Advertisements

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/30/Svaughan.jpg (broken link) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/90/HankSR.jpg (broken link)

Nashville has always had a landmark main venue for live
music..the Opry, which has been in the Ryman, then to Opryland, and now back at the Ryman. Would you consider Austin's equivalent to be "Austin City Limits" at UT, with ACL festival an adjunct of the same?
I would say that the old Armadillo would be the obvious corollary, with Threadgills' the closest approximation of it today that is an actual club. As most know, Austin City Limits was an outgrowth of the Armadillo World Headquarters, and dovetailed together, with most artists playing at the Armadillo the same week as the taping of the ACL show.
Indeed, there are many differences between the two, but in soul the two are the same. The Wild Orchid(Tootsie's) in Nashville probably is closer to the nature of the old Austin than anything in Austin shy of Antones
and Threadgills. Don't forget, with SouthxSouthwest, and the onslaught of recording industry agents, Austin gets more "corporate" by the year as well. While there are no major labels here, save for Antone's house label, which doesn't amount to much, Austin certainly isn't the innocent live band venue it was before Sxsouthwest got huge. I think Austin has its own sound as much because of its out of the way location and its college town roots, which even in the south favor indie-rock music(see Athens Georgia and the B-52's-REM for just one example of that). Just like tex-mex food, Austin has a regional sound that is a gris-gumbo of a myriad of styles. And there has been some seminal music out of Nashville as well, but more based in a traditional country vein, such as Lyle Lovett, Steve Earle, and the like. And what great music came out of Nashville in the 40's - 60's. Prob some of the finest regional music that ever was, from Hank to Dolly to George to Merle, not to mention a zillion others. All in all, Nashville had incomparably more impact on the national music scene in an historical sense. Not to slight Austin, but Nashville would have to be considered the cradle of regional music, and, if you consider Memphis, then Tennessee as a whole would be the birthplace of it ALL...from blues to rock to country. Strange when you think about it, till you consider that it is located on the cusp of north and south, and then you realize its just location, location, location..........

Last edited by southwest1230; 10-08-2007 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 06:46 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,375,584 times
My thoughts are...
Nashville sold out to the highest bidder. What used to be good, traditional country music is now pop music catering to the younger generation. I prefer the more traditional sound of country music coming out of Austin anyday over what is coming out of Nashville. Just my .02 I would rather pay to listen to the likes of Dale Watson, Chris Wall, Reckless Kelly than listen for free to Tim McGraw, Shania Twain or Kenny Chesney.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:21 PM

718 posts, read 2,361,657 times
You need to go to Nashville and you could see otherwise. Sure the big labels are conforming to what the masses seem to want, but there are plenty of smaller labels and bars where you can find the old country sound. The bars up and down Broadway, such as Tootsie's Wild Orchid Lounge, are landmarks in the country music scene and still have live music on a daily basis from unknown artists looking to make it big. Legendary artists like Hank Williams used to perform at the Ryman, step out the back door, grab a beer at Tootsie's, stay and sing a song or two, and go back to the Ryman for another set.

Then there is the Grand Ole Opry. It was moved out of the Ryman when the Opryland Hotel and then theme park, became big tourist attractions. The Opry and the Hotel (which is amazing in itself) are still there. The Opry hosts most of the old time favorites on a regular basis like Porter Wagoner, Little Jimmy Dickens, Ricky Skaggs, and Bill Anderson to name a few. The regulars usually do Friday and Saturday night shows. I have been several times with artists like Vince Gill, Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood and Trace Adkins. The Grand Ole Opry also use to host the CMA awards (I might be wrong on the name, but it was a big awards show which left Nashville and moved to Vegas, I think).

Nashville also the CMA festival which has become huge in itself. You get to meet your favorite artists and attend concerts all the downtown area. Since we moved to Nashville in 1996, this festival has taken on a life of its own. It used to be at the fairgrounds and downtown, but now only downtown, with concerts at both LP Field (Titans home) and the Sommet Center (Predators). It is always in the summer when it is too hot for me to go. The same with the the Bonnaroo festival in not too far off Manchester, Tennessee (liken to Woodstock).

One more thing, the big misconception is Nashville is all about country music. There are plenty of clubs catering to the multitude of musical genres out there. Something for everyone in Music City. One of my favorites is on Printer's Alley and is Bourbon Street Blues and Boogie Bar with great live blues music!

As for Austin, I honestly do not know yet. I am older now, with children, so we do not get out like we used to. I would love to hear about the Austin music scene, and where a close to 40 year old couple could go and not be out of place with the young college folks! PS Thanks for letting me talk about my old hometown, I am trying to learn all I can about my new one!

Old 10-08-2007, 08:38 PM

Statefan...I know all about those places you mentioned in Nashville! I used to go to Nashville every year for Fan Fair when it was held at the Fair grounds. And yes, you can see/hear traditional country music in the little bars/clubs you mentioned, BUT...when is the last time you heard a band or a singer that sings the older more traditional style of country music getting a recording contract out of Nashville? I would venture to say that BR5-49 was probably the last. Today, they cater to the younger crowd because in their eyes (record producers) that is the population who buys the records. The younger crowd wants to hear that more "pop" sound, not the older, twangier traditional style of George Jones, Cash, Haggard, etc... The powers that be in Nashville believe that type of music does not sell any more. However, in Austin, it is embraced. I stopped going to Nashville 8-9 years ago and started visiting Austin, and I am glad I did, because that is where the music is being sung and played that I prefer to listen to.
You need to check out the Continental Club (South Congress) on a Monday night when Dale Watson is playing, or check out Sunday afternoons (4-8pm) at Ginny's Little Longhorn on Burnet Rd when Dale is playing Chicken Sh%t Sundays. He does tour in Europe so make sure he is in town, but he sings the traditional country music. You won't be disappointed and you will not feel out of place...ages from 21-70!

Old 10-08-2007, 09:13 PM

718 posts, read 2,361,657 times
I do agree with you! The big record labels are spending their money on what listeners are spending their money on! With artists like Kenny Chesney, Carrie Underwood, Faith Hill and Tim Mcgraw selling any and everything they publish, it is only natural for the labels to look for more of the same! On the other side, there still are places where you can hear the country music of days gone by!

The strange thing is, I do not listen to country music! I like it, but usually find myself listening to Radio Disney when the kids are in the van, or decade music (gotta love the 80s) on the XM radio. I could not begin to name a popular country music song right now if I had to. I just wanted to stress there are still places in Nashville where you can hear the type of music you prefer. The artist I have paid the most attention to lately is Kelly Pickler, but not for her music, but because she is dating one of my families favorite Nashville Predators, Jordin Tootoo!

If you came to Fan Fair that long ago, you can probably remember how easy it was to meet the artists you want to meet. But with the growth and popularity of country music over the last 10 years, it is next to impossible to have the same access at the CMA Festival.

Thanks for the suggestions on the clubs for me to visit. Guess I need to find a baby sitter and check some places out!

Old 10-08-2007, 09:27 PM

Yes, I do remember the accessibility to the artists at Fan Fair! I slept overnight one time so that I could meet Garth Brooks. Remember when he signed autographs for 23 hrs straight? I was in that line also...met him twice. I met many stars...Reba, Loretta Lynn (highlight for me), Travis Tritt, the list goes on and on....I went to Fan Fair probably 5 years running way back then and I would stand in the meet and greet lines every day. It sure has changed. I stopped going when they moved it from the fair grounds.

Check out the website...dalewatson.com His tour dates are on there. He is in Europe right now...I just checked for you! He'll be back at the end of the month.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:48 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,900,991 times
Great point by everyone! It really depends on what you like and if you're a musician, what you want to do. If you want to be a sessions player? Nashville. If you want to be a songwriter for big-time country singers? Nashville. If you want to play in more "arty" bands, write music for films or video games? Austin.

As far as "older" history goes, Nashville hands down. But recently, I'm more interested in what Austin is offering. Feels more adventurous and do-it-yourself which I like.

BTW, Lyle Lovett may have recorded his stuff in Nashville, but that cat's a Texan through and through. "Texas River Song" should be sung by kids in elementary school all over Texas!

Great pics BTW I was introduced to Hank I at an early, early age

Old 10-08-2007, 11:11 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,058 times
Junior Brown; K.T. Tunstall and Kelly Willis makes me happy.

107.1 - KGSR

Just enjoy the tunes folks. Quit the comparrison. It does not work in this town.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:24 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,900,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
Junior Brown; K.T. Tunstall and Kelly Willis makes me happy.

107.1 - KGSR

Just enjoy the tunes folks. Quit the comparrison. It does not work in this town.
Awe c'mon Dad, we're just havin' some fun.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:31 AM

384 posts, read 1,413,837 times
DENTON hands down.

more diy then any of um.

smaller by the arse load obviously. but more about the music and less and less about the money.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: