Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:10 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,405,522 times

Advertisements

$300 in 1985 is actually over $620 today.

Unless that same apartment is renting for $2500 per month (it's not), it's actually cheaper and easier to live near campus than it was in 1985.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 02:09 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,025,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
$300 in 1985 is actually over $620 today.

Unless that same apartment is renting for $2500 per month (it's not), it's actually cheaper and easier to live near campus than it was in 1985.
As I mentioned, we were gouged! We all knew it. That's why i only stayed there one year.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:24 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,589,653 times
I actually live in West Campus, and though I'm not exactly fond of it, its convenience to campus has kept me there for the time being since I like to be involved. I split a bedroom in an older complex to keep costs down since I don't come from a background that allows me to drop $1000/month/bedroom on rent, other bills, and parking in a brand new building (about half of West Campus is like that). According to a recruiter I know, because of the top X% rule and general increased competitiveness, UT has had a demographic shift where the average income of students' families has skyrocketed, so luxury apartments near campus don't have a problem filling up. Plenty of people on a smaller budget like me can live there with a little forethought. You just have to start looking 8-10 months in advance and/or get a good property finder. North Campus and Hyde Park are less convenient, but plenty of students live there at a relatively reasonable price. As far as Riverside goes, students that live there seem to avoid doing anything there except sleeping. You pray your apartment never has any problems because they won't be fixed by the slumlords.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I actually live in West Campus, and though I'm not exactly fond of it, its convenience to campus has kept me there for the time being since I like to be involved. I split a bedroom in an older complex to keep costs down since I don't come from a background that allows me to drop $1000/month/bedroom on rent, other bills, and parking in a brand new building (about half of West Campus is like that). According to a recruiter I know, because of the top X% rule and general increased competitiveness, UT has had a demographic shift where the average income of students' families has skyrocketed, so luxury apartments near campus don't have a problem filling up. Plenty of people on a smaller budget like me can live there with a little forethought. You just have to start looking 8-10 months in advance and/or get a good property finder. North Campus and Hyde Park are less convenient, but plenty of students live there at a relatively reasonable price. As far as Riverside goes, students that live there seem to avoid doing anything there except sleeping. You pray your apartment never has any problems because they won't be fixed by the slumlords.

How much is your monthly rent? Has the "austin hype" affected rents in your opinion? My roommates were from high income Connecticut, high income Chicago and low income Arkansas, pretty demographically spread. We were the exception. Back then, the in-state tuition and fees was about $350-400 per semester for 12-15 hours. The out-of-state tuition and fees was about $1,200 or so, much higher but still competitive with the tuition of their home states. They all really liked Austin and it wasn't nearly as heavily promoted as it is now. I can't imagine that it's gotten any easier with the factors that you mentioned.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,589,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
How much is your monthly rent? Has the "austin hype" affected rents in your opinion? My roommates were from high income Connecticut, high income Chicago and low income Arkansas, pretty demographically spread. We were the exception. Back then, the in-state tuition and fees was about $350-400 per semester for 12-15 hours. The out-of-state tuition and fees was about $1,200 or so, much higher but still competitive with the tuition of their home states. They all really liked Austin and it wasn't nearly as heavily promoted as it is now. I can't imagine that it's gotten any easier with the factors that you mentioned.
I pay less than $400, but most pay $750-1000 (the low end is for an individual bedroom in a four bedroom apartment, high end is a one bedroom apartment). I can't imagine the areas neighboring campus have much appeal to non-students, so I don't think any hype around Austin has affected prices per se. If UT were in downtown San Antonio with limited space, I could see there being similar prices. Granted, I'm still new to paying bills, so I could be completely off.

I'm very fortunate in that I got tuition covered through scholarships, but those tuition prices still make me envious.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,777,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Outrageous!!! When I lived at 801 W 24th in 1985, it was $1,200/mo for a 2 BR for 4 people ($300 each). Of course, a dollar went a lot further back then. It was considered overpriced back then and roach infested to boot, but we were paying for the convenience of walking to campus and being in the middle of everything. I suppose that it's relative since $500 now is probably what $300 was then. Hyde Park/No campus in 1985 was where the graduate students lived (more serious). I guess that they're probably priced out by now .
Nope, that is indeed still where most of them live. I was a grad student there last year. Also had friends in Far West (too far!), the Triangle, Clarksville and Tarrytown.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
Nope, that is indeed still where most of them live. I was a grad student there last year. Also had friends in Far West (too far!), the Triangle, Clarksville and Tarrytown.
Glad to hear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin