Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 PM

554 posts, read 1,062,988 times

Advertisements

I should take some random unbiased videos of everyday riding around Austin to show that 90% of cyclists are completely safe and legal. It would also show a similar percentage of not-so-great automobile drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 06:37 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,512,952 times
I suspect that, if it showed that 90% of cyclists are completely safe and legal, it would show the same percentage of drivers are such. Your bias is showing, in other words.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:26 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,297,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
So in a story with 100 or so replies, you pulled out the 10 or so from "cyclists", including the one from the guy who doesn't ride(his dad does) and the guy who rode "in his younger days" (20 years ago?) as representative of "the cycling community". .
Nice strawman argument - you are arguing against something never said. The fact is, several in the cycling community made several observations that weren't quite flattering to road cyclists - which is all I ever said. How many comments weren't from folks in that world, or whether or not they were on a car centered blog is simply immaterial to the facts, no matter how much you want them to be. It is also a strain to claim, as you did, that mountain bikers aren't part of the cycling community.

I understand you don't like the observations. Are you saying they are totally off the mark?

Old 03-08-2013, 10:17 PM

554 posts, read 1,062,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I suspect that, if it showed that 90% of cyclists are completely safe and legal, it would show the same percentage of drivers are such. Your bias is showing, in other words.

I wouldn't edit out anything. That's what unbiased means.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:55 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,777,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
A viewpoint from someone who has the experience to know.

Maybe not as cut and dried an argument as it seems?
Wow...thanks for sharing this. That author is a world class axxhole. I've rarely seen a self indictment as bad as that.

Generalization, logical fallacies (Lance Armstrong is a road cyclist, Lance Armstrong lies, ergo cyclists lie), massive assumptions about what occurred with zero basis other than "hey, I know road cyclists - to these cyclists, but I know them and here's what probably happened", assigning partial blame to people who are following the law and the rules of the road (zero evidence to the contrary) and dramatization of an encounter he has no idea whether it occurred or not, and incredible admissions of generally toolish behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin