Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 04:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,431,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
I already pay the same money as you do in car taxes, fees, plates, insurance. I just don't drive more than about 500 miles a year. Why should I be double taxed if I use my bike 95% of the time?

Registration and license plate fees mainly go towards just keeping that system going, not for maintaining the roads. State and local property and sales taxes are where road money comes from.
Well, first, not all cyclists have cars. It's really not just all about you.

But what I'm really more interested in, and see just as much if not more squealing about, is the idea that adult bicyclists who are using the public roadways or transportation should be required to be licensed and to pass a test on the rules of the road just like the operators of automobiles and motorcyclists are. That just throws some people into a tizzy, it seems. There's been, for example, the excuse (not reason) given that "I already have a driver's license and so I know that I know the rules of the road", ignoring the fact that people who have cars and motorcycles have to be licensed for both in order to use the public roadways and that, again, not everyone who rides a bicycle on the public roads has a car or motorcycle, as well.

You'd think that bicyclists would want to know that everyone on the road with them has passed at least a minimal test to show that they are qualified to share the road with a variety of kinds of vehicles and has at least a passing acquaintance with the laws pertaining to such, but apparently some of them only want automobile drivers to show that and we're just supposed to assume that bicyclists know all about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 04:20 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,377,521 times
I don't care about licensing; I would, however, like to see APD start ticketing bicyclists who run red lights and stop signs.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:30 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,282,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
Registration and license plate fees mainly go towards just keeping that system going, not for maintaining the roads. State and local property and sales taxes are where road money comes from.
You might check your facts before you opine. Registration fees pay about 15% of the road maintenance bill - $2.1B. Fuel taxes pay about 1/3 - $4.5B. About 1/2 comes from the federal fuel tax. No state sales tax revenues are spent on roads.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:52 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,983,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
No state sales tax revenues are spent on roads.

So I just imagined all those city transportation bonds that keep passing, to construct and maintain roads?

Or the diversions from the federal general revenue fund to the transportation fund.

Highway Trust Fund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-28-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
So I just imagined all those city transportation bonds that keep passing, to construct and maintain roads?[/url]
Answered your own question. City money is different from state money. The State Highway Fund, as I said earlier, doesn't get state general fund revenue. It does, veloman's statements to the contrary, get money - about $2.1B - from registration fees.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Answered your own question. City money is different from state money. The State Highway Fund, as I said earlier, doesn't get state general fund revenue. It does, veloman's statements to the contrary, get money - about $2.1B - from registration fees.
What's that have to do with the price of tea in China? The subject was whether cyclists (which by and large use local roads, not highways) are paying for the roads they use.

The answer is Yes. (even if the cyclist doesn't own/use a car).

Old 02-28-2013, 05:40 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,221,957 times
Why isn't there a congestion tax?

Some party boys in Boston got together for tea, made a ruckus, and changed the rules.

It wasn't until the later part of the 20th centuries though that auto's had air conditioning but did have leaded gas. That would have been the time to consider a congestion tax. Or, that might have been the cost of a doctor's visit.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:44 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,431,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
Why isn't there a congestion tax?

Some party boys in Boston got together for tea, made a ruckus, and changed the rules.

It wasn't until the later part of the 20th centuries though that auto's had air conditioning but did have leaded gas. That would have been the time to consider a congestion tax. Or, that might have been the cost of a doctor's visit.
\

Best answer!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
What's that have to do with the price of tea in China? The subject was whether cyclists (which by and large use local roads, not highways) are paying for the roads they use.

The answer is Yes. (even if the cyclist doesn't own/use a car).
What a complete non-sequitur. Here is the original statement:

Quote:
Nothing in there about cyclists - only the complete falsehood that license plates are not a source of money for maintaining the roads. False. That state sales taxes "are where the road money comes from. False. You are trying to create an argument that doesn't exist. For some REALLY inexplicable reason.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
What a complete non-sequitur. Here is the original statement:

Nothing in there about cyclists - only the complete falsehood that license plates are not a source of money for maintaining the roads. False. That state sales taxes "are where the road money comes from. False. You are trying to create an argument that doesn't exist. For some REALLY inexplicable reason.

No, the original statement was "How about let's charge bicycles registration fees and make them don a license plate for use of the road I am paying for."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin