Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:36 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,868,047 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but I'm already taxed. I pay tax dollars to the county that maintains and builds the roads so I have every right to drive on the roads. When they stop charging me tax dollars for the roads, then they can charge a tax to use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,257,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
Because the way they live causes problems for everyone. A portion of gas and diesel prices should go to fund community health care, as breathing in the pollution causes all sorts of health problems and degrades quality of life.
But personal automobiles improve my quality of life by allowing me to live where I want and get to places where I want to go quickly and safely. Most modern cars are extremely clean burning, and becoming more so over time.

I was once a cyclist, capable of a 5 hour century. No way can I commute 26 miles in these hills.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:44 AM

15,290 posts, read 35,746,557 times
Simple answer: such a tax would get voted down.

Btw, I though this was going to be a thread about a tax on allergy sufferers .

Old 02-20-2013, 08:46 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,605,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Btw, I though this was going to be a thread about a tax on allergy sufferers .
That sort of tax would be nothing to sneeze at.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 AM

554 posts, read 1,062,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Allegedly.

And if "everyone" does something (as you stated) - how does the majority owe anything? The law of large numbers doesn't support your hypothesis.

What about those who don't contribute to the problem? Why should they suffer?

Your logic is why we have pollution. You think because most people pollute, that it makes it okay.

If you want to increase your chances of cancer substantially, do it to yourself, not the public.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
But personal automobiles improve my quality of life by allowing me to live where I want and get to places where I want to go quickly and safely. Most modern cars are extremely clean burning, and becoming more so over time.

I was once a cyclist, capable of a 5 hour century. No way can I commute 26 miles in these hills.

Yes, an automobile is an amazing tool. It improves YOUR quality of life, not those around you. I agree that modern cars are definitely getting cleaner, I'm very happy about that. Most of the offenders are trucks and other larger or old vehicles. Stricter emissions standards and enforcement of them is probably the best answer.

I agree that you shouldn't pedal a bike 26 miles in hills. (the additional food energy is likely to use more energy than a gallon of gasoline to produce and transport to you anyway). Last night I took my electric bike to ACC Pinnacle (for the Oak Hill Y CTRMA meeting), 16 miles away. It took me about the same time as it would in a car, possibly less considering the enormous amount of stopped cars I was to pass. I didn't break any laws either. I didn't break a sweat, just some light exercise because I like to pedal a little.
The point is you don't need an expensive electric car or internal combustion engine for commuting, nor do you need to pedal a bike laboriously (or at all).

Old 02-20-2013, 12:07 PM

251 posts, read 399,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve78757 View Post
Yeah good question. Why don't we get taxed more? They do need to add another one. Excellent idea.
Quote:
What's the incentive for a two wheeler to sit in traffic when they take up a fraction of the space? They help the problem.

Why do you think you have the right to pollute the air we breath? (assuming you drive an internal combustion engine, which most everyone does)
So by your logic my not wanting to pay this particular tax = I think I have a right to pollute the air? Don't worry about my position at all, OK? Just make it up as you see fit and tear that down.

We already pay taxes to fund the EPA and the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. We also pay city and county taxes that I would assume go, in part, towards local green initiatives and environmental clean up.

We also pay all of the taxes in the list I copy/pasted below. Do you think, just maybe, the money you seek can be found in the funds the government currently takes from us? Or must the amount and percentage we are taxed keep growing?

Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL license Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Excise Taxes
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Permit Tax
Gasoline Tax (42 cents per gallon)
Gross Receipts Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Personal Property Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Service Charge Tax
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Tax
Sales Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
School Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Tangible Taxes
Telephone Federal Excise Tax
Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax
Telephone State and Local Tax
Telephone Usage Charge Tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

Old 02-20-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve78757 View Post
So by your logic my not wanting to pay this particular tax = I think I have a right to pollute the air? Don't worry about my position at all, OK? Just make it up as you see fit and tear that down.

We already pay taxes to fund the EPA and the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. We also pay city and county taxes that I would assume go, in part, towards local green initiatives and environmental clean up.

We also pay all of the taxes in the list I copy/pasted below. Do you think, just maybe, the money you seek can be found in the funds the government currently takes from us? Or must the amount and percentage we are taxed keep growing?

Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL license Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Excise Taxes
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Permit Tax
Gasoline Tax (42 cents per gallon)
Gross Receipts Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Personal Property Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Service Charge Tax
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Tax
Sales Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
School Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Tangible Taxes
Telephone Federal Excise Tax
Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax
Telephone State and Local Tax
Telephone Usage Charge Tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

Outside of the gas tax, I pay the same exact taxes as you do. I own a car, so I pay the same registration and taxes on it. The difference is that I don't drive very often at all.

So other than a gas tax, what's the difference between our transportation options which have vastly different effects on the public and environment?

If there is a gas tax that goes to community health care (wait, we don't have that here) or funding to reduce emissions, then case close, I don't have much of an argument!

Old 02-20-2013, 01:06 PM

15,290 posts, read 35,746,557 times
Quote:
or funding to reduce emissions,
Check out the mobile source division at the TCEQ. I am pretty sure they receive tax money and DO work to reduce vehicle emissions (reformulated gas, vehicle inspection, ride share programs, etc)

Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 PM

251 posts, read 399,303 times
Quote:
Outside of the gas tax, I pay the same exact taxes as you do. I own a car, so I pay the same registration and taxes on it. The difference is that I don't drive very often at all.

So other than a gas tax, what's the difference between our transportation options which have vastly different effects on the public and environment?

If there is a gas tax that goes to community health care (wait, we don't have that here) or funding to reduce emissions, then case close, I don't have much of an argument!
You didn't address my points about the EPA and TCEQ, but trainwreck did. Take a look at his post. Also I'll ask again. Is it possible to find the money by cutting somewhere else, or do our taxes need to continuing growing? I'll add to that. From your perspective when should the expansion of taxation cease, if ever? 60, 70, 80, 90%?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin