Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 12:51 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Hyde Park may be a bit of a mix and eclectic, but "gritty" it is not. Gritty is a word is use to describe a somewhat run down, truly dense urban city - something you'd see in parts of San Francisco, or Oakland, New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago, etc.

Hyde Park is nothing like that, it's basically suburban in form with mostly large lot SF homes with a few apartment buildings thrown into to the mix. Gritty doesn't capture at all the feeling you get in Hyde Park.
Especially now that they're tearing down alot of the classic pre-war bungalow homes in favor $699k McMansions that mostly liberal, ex-suburbanite, upper middle class, wealthy professionals love!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 12:21 PM

615 posts, read 781,206 times
I just have to respond, because there has been so much incorrect info shared by various posters here.

1) Hyde Park is beautiful and fits the description of the historic tree-lined walkable neighborhood you are looking for. Hyde park is filled with cute little bungalows and cottages, great restaurants, bars, and coffees houses.
2) It is NOT a long Commute to the Arboretum area as someone here stated. In fact, Arboretum is probably a 5 minute drive without traffic.
3) You do NOT want to live south of the river as commuting south to north and vice versa is a nightmare.

This is coming from someone who has lived in the downtown Austin area for almost 10 years and commutes to work in the northwest area near arboretum. Good luck with your move!

Last edited by petro; 05-10-2013 at 01:37 PM..

Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,398 times
I don't know about five minutes to the Arboretum without traffic--generally takes about that to get over to MOPAC. Without traffic its then another five up there.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:08 PM

313 posts, read 786,512 times
More like 15 in no traffic https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hyde+Park,+Austin,+TX+to+Arboretum+Boulevar d,+Austin,+TX&saddr=Hyde+Park,+Austin,+TX&daddr=Ar boretum+Boulevard,+Austin,+TX&hl=en&ll=30.350213,-97.743988&spn=0.093177,0.128403&sll=37.6,-95.665&sspn=43.321434,65.742188&geocode=FZlrzgEdSL ws-im15dkNccpEhjE8t6UqUXhtUg%3BFYK_zwEdZG0s-imPmrVngsxEhjE-2MiJp2xaOQ&oq=hyde+park,+austin+to+arbo&t=m&z=13

traffic wouldn't have much impact in the morning, but it will suck in the evening. That southbound stretch of Mopac is one of the worst in Austin during evening commute. Around 6pm the southbound backup starts at Far West. Typical commute home will be 25-30 minutes. Even you try the side roads, they're congested too. You're best bet would be 183 south to Lamar, that might get you home in 20-25

Old 05-10-2013, 03:15 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
It is 1.5 - 2.5 miles from Hyde park to MoPac, depending on where you are starting. Averaging 30 mph would be very optimistic, considering stop signs/lights, etc. So 3-5 minutes to MoPac with light-to-no traffic.

Arboretum is about 5.5 miles from 45th/MoPac, so at about 60 mph average, that is another 5 minutes with no traffic and not considering distance once you exit 183 at the Arboretum area. Going counter-flow, traffic shouldn't generally be bad on this stretch, but will be from time to time.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:50 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,398 times
Quote:
traffic wouldn't have much impact in the morning, but it will suck in the evening. That southbound stretch of Mopac is one of the worst in Austin during evening commute. Around 6pm the southbound backup starts at Far West. Typical commute home will be 25-30 minutes. Even you try the side roads, they're congested too. You're best bet would be 183 south to Lamar, that might get you home in 20-25
No, it won't be that bad. Best bet from Arboretum would be to take the access road around and jump on MOPAC to get to 45th/38th if it's running clear or to cut across on 2222 to Shoal Creek if MOPAC is backed up. That's an easy, stress-free commute home.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:04 PM

615 posts, read 781,206 times
gpurcell is correct. This is an easy commute. I live east of Hyde Park and work further northwest than arboretum and my commute is exactly 15 minutes every day, door to door.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:20 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
I just have to respond, because there has been so much incorrect info shared by various posters here.

1) Hyde Park is beautiful and fits the description of the historic tree-lined walkable neighborhood you are looking for. Hyde park is filled with cute little bungalows and cottages, great restaurants, bars, and coffees houses.
2) It is NOT a long Commute to the Arboretum area as someone here stated. In fact, Arboretum is probably a 5 minute drive without traffic.
3) You do NOT want to live south of the river as commuting south to north and vice versa is a nightmare.

This is coming from someone who has lived in the downtown Austin area for almost 10 years and commutes to work in the northwest area near arboretum. Good luck with your move!
I would allow 15. It would be a stroke of luck to make it in 10. 5 minutes is fantasy.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:57 PM

25 posts, read 47,098 times
Thank you all for the input on commute times. Although everyone seems to have a slightly different estimate for how long it will take, none of the estimates are as long as my current commute (30-35 minutes morning and evening) so I'm relieved to know I will be having a shorter commute once I move to Austin.

Can anyone please tell me what the boundaries of this "Arboretum" area are? From all the comments, I'm assuming that's the name of where my office will be, but I haven't found this term on any map. What is this Arboretum area like? I did some google streetviewing around the office area and didn't think it looked all that interesting, hence my post asking about more centrally located neighborhoods. I am also interested in being near the university, since I'm only 23 and assume I will find more to do and people my age there than elsewhere. Hyde Park appears to be pretty close.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:30 PM

440 posts, read 714,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godinlg View Post
Can anyone please tell me what the boundaries of this "Arboretum" area are? From all the comments, I'm assuming that's the name of where my office will be, but I haven't found this term on any map. What is this Arboretum area like? I did some google streetviewing around the office area and didn't think it looked all that interesting, hence my post asking about more centrally located neighborhoods. I am also interested in being near the university, since I'm only 23 and assume I will find more to do and people my age there than elsewhere. Hyde Park appears to be pretty close.
The definition will depend on who you ask, but it's specifically a shopping center of sorts at the intersection of US 183 and Loop 360 ("Research" pronounced "REEE-search" and 360 or Capital of Texas Boulevard). It's also bounded on one side by Great Hills Trail.

It used to be very upscale shopping, but that's been trumped by The Domain.

Yes, Hyde Park is a popular student area, if people have the money to live there, and it's much more sane than West Campus. I think you'd feel at home. As to whether your job is at the Arboretum... do you have a street address? The thing is - we often have several names for the same street/road/interstate. I'll let someone else try to explain why this is. Anyway - Arboretum is probably loosely the area west of Mopac/Loop 1, north of 2222/Koenig/Allandale/Northland, southeast of - Duval (doo-VALL). (There are often oddly pronounced street and place names, too.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin