Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 12:59 PM

27 posts, read 71,131 times

Advertisements

I just moved back to Austin after about 12 years abroad and looking for a house or lot to build. It seems the nicer neighborhoods are filled with McMansions, but we are looking for a house between 1700 and 2100 square feet.

Some priorities are good schools, new or newish construction (<10yrs), nice views, and larger lots at least side to side. I don't want to see into my neighbor's house when I look out the window. Trying to focus our search in North, Northwest and West Austin. Bonus points for non restrictive HOAs and focus on green living. Our budget is around $300-$350k.

Any neighborhoods that might fit our needs that we should check out?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 01:17 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
wow, I'm not sure that what you want exists, period much less at your price range. If you can set aside the insistence on new construction, I'd look at Allandale, Allandale Estates, Brentwood, Crestview, then Great Hills? Can you get into Great Hills at $350K? NW Hills and Highland Hills, Tarrytown etc are out due to price. Gah, and a view? Parts of Travis County, maybe? Probably too McMansiony for you.

I'm very curious to see if any one can identify an area with what you want and your price range with good schools. I think you are going to have to compromise (most likely on age of home, lot size, and/or schools, and forget views)

Old 06-12-2013, 08:25 PM

384 posts, read 980,988 times
Maybe look for houses on culdesacs? They usually have very wide, wedge shaped yards.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:42 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,661 times
I think we need a definition of McMansion.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:51 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
OP gave sq footage between 1700-2100 which I guess precludes McMansions? and I think fake Tuscan is also probably out.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:03 PM

27 posts, read 71,131 times
Yeah, I was getting the impression that we were going to have to compromise on our "wants", but thought I'd throw out everything we were hoping for in case someone knew of a neighborhood that would fit. I think the easiest fix would be to throw out the newish construction.

We were originally thinking Dripping Springs, but I think its a little far since my family lives in North Austin. We started looking for something more North, but are having a hard time finding anything.

We lived in a small apartment in Tokyo for multiple years, so almost everything seems big to us. If I had to put a size on a McMansion, I guess I'd say anything bigger than 2500 ft is excessive for us. Culdesacs usually give you a big backyard, but the front end near the houses are usually pretty narrow.

I'm thinking Lakeway / Apache Shores / Cardinal Hills is our best bet, but its very hit or miss out there. A beautiful house in one lot and an aging wooden house or trailer in the next.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:57 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
If you look in the Cardinal Hills area, beware of a HUGE issue they had with the builder of a lot of those homes years ago. There were huge drainage issues and problems with the developer not paying subcontractors, so liens were put on people's houses. It was a huge mess. The area was actually called something else at the time, but I can't remember what, but that name was sort of dropped because of all the negative publicity surrounding it. I wish I could remember the name, because then I could look up more info online for you.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:20 PM

26 posts, read 110,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
If you look in the Cardinal Hills area, beware of a HUGE issue they had with the builder of a lot of those homes years ago. There were huge drainage issues and problems with the developer not paying subcontractors, so liens were put on people's houses. It was a huge mess. The area was actually called something else at the time, but I can't remember what, but that name was sort of dropped because of all the negative publicity surrounding it. I wish I could remember the name, because then I could look up more info online for you.
I think it was previously named Maravilla Hills.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:08 PM

68 posts, read 70,709 times
Default Where did you decide?

I know this is an old thread, but if the OP is still around, I'm curious to know where you chose to move.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:42 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicaNica28 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but if the OP is still around, I'm curious to know where you chose to move.
Said they were buying in Caballo Ranch/Ronald Reagan back in '15...haven't heard from them since. Plenty of mini-McMansions in there last I looked...as well as a selection of "normal" McMansions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin