Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:51 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Looks like our city's marketing machine has dropped the ball. Need to step it up in the Dakotas, the Big Island & the Upper P.
I think it has recently, been seeing a lot of North & South Dakota plates around Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 08:25 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Note that the OP was a hit and run one time poster, thusfar.
I think it got moved here from another forum, too.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:53 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
Phoenix, New Mexico, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston and New Orleans have tons of California moving there as well. At least the cities are for real and do not try to BS the nation that this is paradise.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:30 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Phoenix, New Mexico, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston and New Orleans have tons of California moving there as well. At least the cities are for real and do not try to BS the nation that this is paradise.
I don't know anyone here "try(ing) to BS the nation that this is paradise." Most of that comes from sources outside here.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:48 PM

927 posts, read 2,467,001 times
I'm currently in LA and my girlfriend and I are thinking about relocating out to Austin in the next few years. The cost of living, less taxes, warm weather, traffic, etc... is really attractive to us, since we are both transplants to LA. I'm in sales and she's in events, I'm pretty sure Austin has both of those options for work, so I'm not too worried about finding a job.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:38 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I don't know anyone here "try(ing) to BS the nation that this is paradise." Most of that comes from sources outside here.
Exactly.

Most here on CD share info on the negatives along with the good stuff. I just read a hilarious post about someone bitching about lousy Austin is for a Christian Vegan. What would give anyone the impression that Austin is a vegan paradise. What would give anyone the impression that it's a paradise for those looking for a community dominated by born again christians?

People who are contemplating moving to Central Texas......If you want to come & shut down our Link joints (or replace our sliced beef sandwiches with tofu), don't come. If you want to come & change Austin into the belt buckle of the bible belt, don't come. If you want to come here & have the city build a stadium for a "real" pro sports team, don't come. If you want to create a larger, more invasive (& pork ridden) local govt. than it already is (like you had back home), don't come. If you're looking for a 4/2.5 that feeds into "good schools", you won't find it. If you're thinking about coming here without a job (because you heard Austin's a "cool" place & you'll find one when you get here)....don't come.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
I'm currently in LA and my girlfriend and I are thinking about relocating out to Austin in the next few years. The cost of living, less taxes, warm weather, traffic, etc... is really attractive to us, since we are both transplants to LA. I'm in sales and she's in events, I'm pretty sure Austin has both of those options for work, so I'm not too worried about finding a job.
Sales? Events?

You're coming here for the traffic?

Old 08-04-2013, 09:11 PM

341 posts, read 675,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Let me explain something, just because there is no income tax, doesn't mean they won't get that money somehow. Have you seen property, sales taxes?

I've come to the conclusion that no matter where you go, the revenuer man will find a way to get 'em somehow. Never move to a place because you heard taxes are low.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Exactly.

Most here on CD share info on the negatives along with the good stuff. I just read a hilarious post about someone bitching about how lousy Austin is for a Christian Vegan. What would give anyone the impression that Austin is a vegan paradise. What would give anyone the impression that it's a paradise for those looking for a community dominated by born again christians?

People who are contemplating moving to Central Texas......If you want to come & shut down our Link joints (or replace our sliced beef sandwiches with tofu), don't come. If you want to come & change Austin into the belt buckle of the bible belt, don't come. If you want to come here & have the city build a stadium for a "real" pro sports team, don't come. If you want to create a larger, more invasive (& pork ridden) local govt. than it already is (like you had back home), don't come. If you're looking for a 4/2.5 for 200K that feeds into "good schools", you won't find it. If you're thinking about coming here without a job (because you heard Austin's a "cool" place & you'll find one when you get here)....don't come.
added the bolded items so it makes sense.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:21 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,730 times
[quote=S.S. Lazio;30816362]Let me explain something, just because there is no income tax, doesn't mean they won't get that money somehow. Have you seen property, sales taxes?

I've come to the conclusion that no matter where you go, the revenuer man will find a way to get 'em somehow. Never move to a place because you heard taxes are low.[/QUOTE

You can certainly optimize your tax situation. High income and no need for large house? No income tax trade-off for high property tax rate can work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin