Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 06:47 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times

Advertisements

If you think LA takes itself too seriously, then you are really going to have issues with the attitude in Austin.

I think the other things you will desperately miss are the ocean (we're a solid 4 hour drive away) and the amenities. We don't have pro sports, good museums, amusement parks, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 06:55 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Amazing to see how quickly a legitimate set of questions devolves into a stereotype war. The OP has a set of concerns that are unlike anyone's, yet it becomes "what I miss" or "why I don't like it, and therefore why you won't as well".

So, to get to specific questions:

Quote:
We don't have any children, but definitely want to have them!
Would Austin be a good place to raise kids, if and when they happen?
Yes. But it might not be in the center of the Austin you find most attractive right now. I'd move, rent, and decide what's important. Being close to a walkable coffe shop, or the best education for your kid K-12? Kid packed neighborhoods, or walkable yoga? Because there is almost no overlap in that Venn diagram.

Quote:
I want kinder people. Outdoorsy activities. Artsy vibe, galleries, or can catch a drawing group regularly if I want, for instance. Yoga. People that don't take themselves too seriously but are still genuine and hard working, a good energy and welcoming environment...
My in-laws just moved here from being lifelong Michiganders. #1 observation? How polite everyone is. The rest of your list? Out the wazoo. Heck, even out here in suburbia there are dozens of yoga studios. And this is still the capital of "don't take yourself seriously".

Other things? Trust me, Houston is as close as you want your in-laws. Three hours is perfect. Your husband has lived here - he knows what he's getting. As far as you, you love him and will come to like the weather here, just like my Huntington Beach raised son-in-law.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:11 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,342 times
Austin is nowhere near the movie Slackers, or Dazed and Confused for that matter I don't think it is that sleepy at all....... it's as hustling and bustling as the next growing city.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:21 AM

743 posts, read 1,372,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post

I am from LA and the Bay Area, grew up in both places and spent much of my adulthood in SF... my biggest takeaway after living here in Austin for 2 years: If you truly love, appreciate and prioritize first the things that only CA offers (not all do which is okay too) - top notch cultural opportunities, cosmopolitan vibe and artsy feel, sheer beauty, the ocean, the mountains, access to snow and temperate mld weather, access to endless day trips and weekends trips, Austin and TX will not measure up. I will also say that the media and many TX natives, like to say how "weird" Austin is... quirky and liberal, etc. Well, my benchmark is CA and also 13 years in Colorado and Austin is not nearly as quirky and weird as it's made out to be but your assessment of this is purely dependent on what your prior experience is and what you are used to.
Agree with a lot of this.

Born and bred in Los Angeles. Still get out there several times a year. Also lived in the Bay Area for a long time. Have now lived in Austin for over 12 years. It depends on what you are looking for and what you like/dislike about LA. I noticed you said you'd like to have kids. Without a doubt, I have found raising kids in Austin a much better experience all around (schools, neighbors, quality of life, etc.) than when I was raising kids in California. It's part of what keeps me here. I DO miss the ocean, the cultural activities and the proximity of so many varied climates (skiing, desert, mountains, all within a few hours). But I much prefer the lifestyle of Austin for THIS STAGE in my life (raising a family). And my neighbors are the best neighbors I've ever had. While this is a generalization, I have found the people here to be much friendlier. In California there were always neighbors on the street that I didn't even know (and I lived in several different neighborhoods). Not here. Know everyone, and in fact we are all friends and go out together often. It's just a more open, friendly feel. Can't promise that all neighborhoods are that way, but it's been my experience. But even going to the grocery store, more people say hello, talk, etc.

I also agree that if you've experienced big city California (have lived in SF, LA and spent lots of time in Berkeley), Austin does not seem "weird" to me. Maybe it is compared to the rest of Texas, but I doubt anything will shock you.

The long, hot season still wears me out. I miss the ocean and the mountains. But I wouldn't trade Austin for California at this stage in my life. Might go back later when my kids are grown!

Old 11-04-2013, 08:28 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
I was born and raised in Los Angeles. I moved away several years ago, but go back fairly often. My son and I just spent the month out there in August. I was so happy coming back here. Life is just easier Austin, there is no other way to put it. With the insane traffic out there, people rush rush rushing, the self importance, etc. it feels like a rat race.

But as others have mentioned there is a trade off. No ocean. Los Angeles doesn't sleep, but Austin does. There's less variety in things to do here.

But hey, we have a Trader Joe's now, so there's that! (and In and Out is just few months away from opening up in Round Rock!)

You should definitely come to visit before you decide to move.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:16 PM

5 posts, read 4,943 times
Hello There!

Yes, a lot of people are moving to Austin at this moment. Yes, people in Austin are becoming very protective of their space. However, do not be fooled. I VERY rarely meet native Austinites. Most people moved here for the same reasons you are naming and for the same reason that I did. Truth is, it attracts a very special type of person. As a "recovering Californian", I can sympathize with your want to escape the old and find something new. I have loved Texas ever since I landed here. The pride in this community is apparent at every corner. As I drove to work today, the freeway is lined with trees decorated for Christmas. Wild trees. Every car has some sort of insignia dedicating love for Texas. Longhorns, stars, etc.

As far as being artsy and quirky, welcome home. LOL. I spent last weekend at art shows, parades, farmers markets, and a game of chicken **** bingo.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:39 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
Quote:
Care too much about superficial things, self image
This is funny to me because this is what I think Austin is becoming. I can't say it is the influx of Californians or any other specific group but I do notice it. The laid back is still here but quickly disappearing.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:43 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennieHofferATX View Post
I VERY rarely meet native Austinites.
You live in Steiner, not exactly an area known for its vast population of native Austinites.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:59 PM

6 posts, read 11,550 times
Trouble is, a lot of what has typified Austin in the past is in trouble.The part about Texans not wanting Californians is not personal. A huge amount of Californians came from Texas to begin with. As huge quantities of people move in, the options involve "density" obliterating natural green areas in the city or destroying neighborhoods and the scenery that has nestled Austin and made it wonderful by the demand of newbies and ruthless developers (most not from Austin). This is not selfishness or complacency, but preservation. Many people simply do not want another LA in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin