Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 11:26 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwbrewer87 View Post
Hmm...so I guess if this last effort fails (landlord called a different exterminator to come out, he set a few more traps out than the last guy), then I could terminate the lease.

I'm not being unreasonable though, right?
I would not count on being able to terminate the lease over this issue, especially when the landlord is taking reasonable steps to exterminate the rats. Some leases obligate the tenant to do any pest control needed if the problem appears during the tenancy. Although if the property had the problem from the beginning, that should be the landlords obligation to correct it.

Completely eliminating the rats will probably require sealing up all holes in the exterior that could allow a rat to gain access to the attic. Roof rats in Austin live primarily outdoors but come up into the attics in the winter time seeking the heat. We had a few in our attic the first year we bought this place, so after killing them with traps, I had a handyman seal all cracks and openings around the perimeter of the roof with treated wood, which I have been told they do not like to chew through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 02:54 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Make sure you document, IN WRITING, all of the contacts you have made with the landlord in regards to this matter. Phone calls are not going to cut it. If you end up terminating a lease, he may try to weasel out of returning your deposit unless you can verify that he was aware of the problem and the extent of the problem. A certified letter referencing the previous conversations with him (with dates) and outlining expectations of remediation of the rats is a good idea.

And I don't know who he's calling, but I don't know any exterminator that just sets traps for rats. We had rats in out attic once. They were very thorough in finding out where they were entering the house (an a/c inlet), covered those points of entry, set traps, and then came back every other day for 3 weeks until they were no longer finding any rats.

We used J & J Pest Control and were very happy with them.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:48 PM

483 posts, read 533,025 times
Treat your landlord how they would treat you, start with requests in writing, then advise him/her that you will pursue legal action to terminate the lease if they do not abide by the law and the contract, then go to court if you have to.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:00 PM

71 posts, read 167,900 times
borrow some cats from the animal shelter and have them live for a few days in the attic

Old 12-24-2013, 01:14 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Treated wood is an insufficient barrier against tree rats, as is foam-in-place sealant. What is required is metal flashing, or heavy metal-wire screening to block all points of entry.

Also trimming trees back away from the residence helps.

#VoiceOfExperience

Old 01-28-2018, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 930 times
Hello I’m having the same exact issues I’m 20 this is my first apartment and it’s hell I have one year old and I’m locking myself and her in the room because I’m terrified I need help please

Old 01-28-2018, 08:00 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qgreen 16 View Post
Hello I’m having the same exact issues I’m 20 this is my first apartment and it’s hell I have one year old and I’m locking myself and her in the room because I’m terrified I need help please
1. Submit a request in writing to your landlord requesting that they immediately trap and exclude rats. Keep a copy for your records.

2. Contact the Austin Tenants Council. Document everything, keep paying your rent on time.

3. Go buy some steel wool at the grocery store, use it to stop up any and all holes where rats may be getting in.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:28 PM

63 posts, read 91,271 times
My sister was in a similar situation with crickets a few yrs ago. She had to contact the health dept I think and they told her she could get out of her lease after 2 months of the landlord being given notices and not meeting them. Her lease was up in 2 mon and she chose to just break it and it was really hard for her to get another apt complex to let her move in for several years. Be careful of breaking your lease but if you follow the right steps you should be able to get out of it.

Document everything and get video

Old 01-30-2018, 01:51 PM

38 posts, read 122,869 times
Hah! How weird to see my only ever post on the front page 5 years later.

Have you talked to your landlord? Mine ended up being very understanding. I just had to be firm and let him know I understood my rights and that the living conditions were unacceptable. He ended up letting us out of the lease without us having to take any further action against him.

The three-step plan the poster put above is the best course of action if you have already talked to him and he hasn't done enough. Getting things in writing is key to set an official timeline for you to get out of the lease without penalty.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:40 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
OP: Thank you for originally posting this. A family member and SO rented a house this past summer in the 1900 block of "Old Main" St, Georgetown.

It's my opinion the landlord is a slumlord. Not only do they have RATS, and tons of them, IN THE HOUSE. They also didn't have a refrigerator for almost a MONTH after moving in. I wasn't there when they signed the lease but evidently the only thing the landlord is responsible for is taking their renters hard earned money.

When they did finally bring in another fridge, (after losing a couple hundred dollars worth of food), it was a filthy, old refrigerator. I saw it...disgusting. It appears they picked it up from the trash and didn't even bother to clean it.

Both of these young people work, and work hard. It's their first rented house and I believe they were taken advantage of big time.

Yes, of course, it's Texas so it's "their own fault". I say that because it seems to be the mantra here...whatever happened to you must be your fault somehow, some way. Texas seems big on having people take "responsibility" but it doesn't go beyond the little guy. Everyone beyond that is blame free.

I've seen the house they rented and pictures of the rats they have killed in the house. It disgusts me that landlords can be heartless and not give a dam about the people living there.

Personally, we had to rent our home when we moved here from another state and I can tell you when something happens with the house we take care of it. It's the right thing to do.

Lastly, they're expected to fight this thing...both of them work long hours and have very little time or energy to do the "fighting". It shouldn't be this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin