Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 05:07 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
...chili powder, salt, and people.
Ground or whole?

Old 01-23-2014, 05:13 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,125,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Ground or whole?
LOL, oops meant pepper.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:52 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
TX winter brew of hot Dr. Pepper?

Sounds perfectly awful--never had it in my life, LOL!! Does anybody else here drink it on a regular basis?

Big batch of chili sounds wonderful right about now, and I may just thaw out some pork and beef--and make a pot!

I agree with CptRn--get on with the cooking! My chili can have anything I want in it--beans (black, pinto, or small red--can't handle kidney beans in any form or fashion, even buried under all the other stuff), onions, garlic...and even diced tomatoes! Chile con cualquier.....

I also throw in a couple of chipotles, too....MMMMMMMMMMMM! Now I'm getting HUNGRY.
Hey!! Nothing at all wrong with hot Dr. Pepper. When I was a kid my mom would make it quite often, especially if we caught a cold or the weather got colder. It was even better when she added lemon slices to it.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:57 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
You're not from around here, are you?

It is chili con carne, not chili con frijoles, not chili con tomates, not chili con anything except beef.

And I am hard pressed to make it better than 2.5 lbs of beef chuck roast, ground fresh with the large plate from my KitchenAid stand mixer meat grinder, and the contents of Wick Fowler's Two Alarm chili mix. Definitely not hamburger meat - too fine. If you don't have a grinder, HEB sells large grind chili meat.

Any of that other stuff - raw onions, cheese, sour cream? Nice spicy meat dish. Not chili. When in Rome, ...
Even I agree with scm. . .if there are beans in it, it might be good, but it ain't chili.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Hey!! Nothing at all wrong with hot Dr. Pepper. When I was a kid my mom would make it quite often, especially if we caught a cold or the weather got colder. It was even better when she added lemon slices to it.
Do you still drink it today? Does your family like it, too?

Old 01-23-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I think I tried hot DP once, have heard of it often. I too thought it was common down here in TX......
I had never heard of hot Dr. Pepper until I came to this site. I've never seen it served anywhere, and I don't know anybody that drinks it.

Now my curiosity is up. I may have to try it, LOL!

It's getting chilly outside here in Alpine--23, with a windchill of 15! But we're not getting the moisture with the ice that Central Texas is. Cold and dry. We had bad ice in November here (along with snow)--I hadn't seen ice in West Texas in over 20 years. Y'all stay warm and safe!

Old 01-24-2014, 06:08 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Snow day! No school=No work for me today! As for hot Dr. Pepper, I haven't had it in years, but may cook some up since it's so cold out today. My daughter hasn't had it and my husband is skeptical about it....then again, he likes beans in his chili. :0

Old 01-24-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Snow day! No school=No work for me today! As for hot Dr. Pepper, I haven't had it in years, but may cook some up since it's so cold out today. My daughter hasn't had it and my husband is skeptical about it....then again, he likes beans in his chili. :0
LOL!! Beans in chili good! Let us know how they like the hot Dr. Pepper......! 18 here, but dry, with no ice (thank God). I can handle snow and cold (and like both), but y'all can keep the ice!

My pork, beef and beans are all thawing for some chili---it's black beans this round, and Chimayó chile powder (my favorite). I am out of dried red pods, so......

Old 01-24-2014, 06:57 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Wow! It is SO quiet out there. Parmer Lane is at the end of our driveway and you can scarcely hear a single vehicle every few minutes! That will change shortly, I'm sure; but the crunch of ice under a neighbor's footsteps is about all the noise outside!

The chili is almost gone, having received the last of the Elgin spicy beef sausage to amp it up last night. Yum-OH!!! Of course, it's supposed to be close to 70 degrees tomorrow; so I guess it's back to salads and veggies.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:58 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
I had never heard of hot Dr. Pepper until I came to this site.
How about flaming Dr. Pepper? Those are good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin