Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 05:28 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,957,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I have a sneaking suspicion that neither house is available now. Those are pretty good areas, depending on commute issues. I missed the sq footage...I'm thinking 1000-1100 for either; but the first one looks to be nicely updated. Just to give you a rough idea, probably half of that rent amount quoted will go to property taxes. I do like the new A/C mentioned in one...big plus around these parts.
Both are in good areas but I suspect the drawback of being near both train tracks and freeways contribute to the lower prices for the general areas. Even then, I'd be willing to wager they are already leased (or possibly scam listings.)

OP, Austin is not an inexpensive place to live due to all the Bandwagon Bobs and Trendy Wendys moving here. There is stiff competition for all types of rentals in all areas. It's going to be challenging to find anything other than a larger apartment complex long distance. And CL is rife with fraudulent listings. A locator is your best bet in your situation.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:55 PM

83 posts, read 104,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Both are in good areas but I suspect the drawback of being near both train tracks and freeways contribute to the lower prices for the general areas. Even then, I'd be willing to wager they are already leased (or possibly scam listings.)

OP, Austin is not an inexpensive place to live due to all the Bandwagon Bobs and Trendy Wendys moving here. There is stiff competition for all types of rentals in all areas. It's going to be challenging to find anything other than a larger apartment complex long distance. And CL is rife with fraudulent listings. A locator is your best bet in your situation.
The cost of living of Austin doesn't deter me. If we need to raise our budget we will. I do think the argument that Austin is so expensive and has such a high cost of living is blown out of proportion on here.. (not directed towards you but it seems to be said really often on this site)..

I've lived in Manhattan, Seattle and Miami.. all high cost of living areas with competitive rental markets. I have heard the same about these areas, that competition is fierce yet I managed to find nice places within my budget in great neighborhoods in all of them. I just cannot imagine it's as competitive as everyone is saying and we won't find anything. Most cities do get multiple applications for apartments.. it's the nature of renting in a popular city.. any really desirable city.. it doesn't seem exclusive to Austin.

Last edited by emeraldcitymer; 05-17-2014 at 08:13 PM..

Old 05-17-2014, 08:27 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,957,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldcitymer View Post
The cost of living of Austin doesn't deter me. If we need to raise our budget we will. I do think the argument that Austin is so expensive and has such a high cost of living is blown out of proportion on here..

I've lived in Manhattan, Seattle and Miami.. all high cost of living areas with competitive rental markets. I have heard the same about these areas, that competition is fierce yet I managed to find nice places within my budget in great neighborhoods in all of them. I just cannot imagine it's as competitive as everyone is saying and we won't find anything. Most cities do get multiple applications for apartments.. it's the nature of renting in a popular city.. any really desirable city.. it doesn't seem exclusive to Austin.
There is a huge difference between those cities and Austin. There are 110 people moving here every single day. Every day. We do not have the housing to accommodate them. Additionally, its reputation as the promised land has depressed salaries in comparison to the increased cost of housIng. People are willing to make less to live here. So while rents won't be as high as the many trendy cities you've already lived in, the wages in relation to those rents are very different. We own several rental properties. The last time we had one available, we had 22 applications in a single day. And we didn't advertise. That was all word of mouth.

You've never even visited much less lived here. People here are giving you sound advice even if it's not what you want to hear.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
There is a huge difference between those cities and Austin. There are 110 people moving here every single day. Every day. We do not have the housing to accommodate them. Additionally, its reputation as the promised land has depressed salaries in comparison to the increased cost of housIng. People are willing to make less to live here. So while rents won't be as high as the many trendy cities you've already lived in, the wages in relation to those rents are very different. We own several rental properties. The last time we had one available, we had 22 applications in a single day. And we didn't advertise. That was all word of mouth.

You've never even visited much less lived here. People here are giving you sound advice even if it's not what you want to hear.

It's not about "what I don't want to hear" but we are looking for a place... I'm trying to get an idea of which specific neighborhoods to look and what kind of budget we should have for a 2/2 in the neighborhoods that would be a good fit for us. That's the kind of advice I want. Aside from Moonlady, I haven't gotten the kind of advice I am seeking. It's not really helpful to keep suggesting we won't be able to find a place or it's way out of the budget, when I already said we are willing to go up in budget. Plus, it's not some promise land. We are moving for my boyfriend's job.. he is being relocated and will make more in Austin than in Seattle. He has been to Austin many times.

I'm just saying Austin is not so different from other popular cities.. Yes, it's a fast growing city but many other cities have hot rental markets, including a few I've lived in and I have still been successful in finding somewhere to rent.

Pulled from the "10 ten cities where rents will rise the most in 2013" on MSN..(see stats below) Seattle is still considered more competitive, with a lower vacancy rate and higher forecasted rent growth as well as higher increases.

Seattle has tons of tech companies moving in plus the growth of huge companies based here like Amazon with constraints of how far it can grow due to the water, mountains and other geography. Do you really think Austin is the only city that doesn't have the housing to support higher populations moving in? Many cities have real geographical barriers to expanding like the ocean and mountains and housing density that already exists.

NYC is so tough to get an apartment, it's standard to pay 15% to a rental agent to find one and there are strict rules such as you must make 40 times the rent and if you don't you must have a single guarantor that makes 100X the monthly rent to sign for you. Now, take a look at the numbers.... and tell me again Austin is so different.. soooo much more competitive...

Austin, Texas
Effective rent at end of 2012: $862
Rent increase from 2011: 3.8%
Vacancy rate: 4%
Forecasted effective rent growth in 2013: 4.6%

Seattle
Effective rent at end of 2012: $1,060
Rent increase from 2011: 5.8%
Vacancy rate: 3.8%
Forecasted effective rent growth in 2013: 5.2%

You've got the wrong idea about salaries in other cities making up for the difference in housing.. In a city like NYC, DC or SF, you might make 20-30% more if you're lucky but housing is at least double what it would be in Austin. What other cities have you lived in? Maybe you just haven't been exposed to this outside of Austin..

actual stats published in 2014..

Here are the top 10 cities where rent prices are highest relative to median gross income, according to Zillow. The percentage number to the right of each city denotes the percent of median gross income taken up by monthly rental rates:

1. Los Angeles 43.2
2. Miami 41.8
3. College Station 41.6
4. Santa Cruz, Calif. 41.4
5. San Diego 40.7
6. San Francisco 40.6
7. Salinas, Calif. 40.5
8. San Luis Obispo, Calif. 39.8
9. Santa Rosa, Calif. 39.5
10. New York 38.6

Austin didn't even make the top 10. You're right I don't live there. I'm not disputing that you have a better knowledge of Austin, but perhaps you have to consider that if you're so engrossed in the Austin bubble, having lived there for decades, maybe you really don't know what the rental market is like in other cities to make the statement that "There is a huge difference between those cities and Austin.".. certainly not more than I do, seeing as I have actually lived in those 3 cities and rented there. Instead of being so quick to point out the negatives and what I won't be able to do.. why not focus on helping me come closer to finding an apartment by telling me which areas you recommend for our lifestyle?

Last edited by emeraldcitymer; 05-18-2014 at 12:59 AM..

Old 05-18-2014, 12:41 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,512,973 times
I've lived in NYC for 28 years. Yes, it is outrageously expensive relative to income, but the income is still higher and it does make a difference. I don't know about Zillow, but I can give you words from the street - the salaries aren't in step with the housing any longer. If you are working for a national company and get paid national salaries, you will probably make more. If you are working at a Texas based company, for many fields you'll be making less. The difference between my salary at a Texas law firm and the international one I'm with now is $15K.

Another thing to keep in mind, Austin is only inexpensive to people who come from some of those aforementioned cities like NYC, for example. Your $1700 would have gone far years ago, but today and for where and what you want, be prepared to pay $2K and up. More than what you pay in Seattle. You can make a go of it on Craiglist and hit a bargain, I suppose. People aren't making this up or blowing things out of proportion.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I've lived in NYC for 28 years. Yes, it is outrageously expensive relative to income, but the income is still higher and it does make a difference. I don't know about Zillow, but I can give you words from the street - the salaries aren't in step with the housing any longer. If you are working for a national company and get paid national salaries, you will probably make more. If you are working at a Texas based company, for many fields you'll be making less. The difference between my salary at a Texas law firm and the international one I'm with now is $15K.

Another thing to keep in mind, Austin is only inexpensive to people who come from some of those aforementioned cities like NYC, for example. Your $1700 would have gone far years ago, but today and for where and what you want, be prepared to pay $2K and up. More than what you pay in Seattle. You can make a go of it on Craiglist and hit a bargain, I suppose. People aren't making this up or blowing things out of proportion.
I said many times we are willing to pay more..I'm trying to get some real ranges and actual neighborhood suggestions.

I am not saying Austin is inexpensive.. but it's no more competitive or expensive than most of the other popular cities.. I'm not disagreeing that salaries aren't in step with the housing any longer in Austin.. but Austin is not the only city experiencing this... look at my chart above and you will see many other cities where the rent to income ratio is even higher... San Diego, LA, NYC, SF.. Austin didn't even make the top 10. All I'm saying is Austin is not this "super special" city where it's so much more competitive to find a home or way more expensive than other popular cities. That's the norm for most "hot" cities.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:10 AM

269 posts, read 428,678 times
You can find a 2/2 apartment for $1700 in this city but it wont be in a walkable neighborhood. You certainly cannot live DT close to the river on the budget. Since you enjoy being outdoors, I would suggest the SW side of this city, close to Barton Creek Greenbelt, Zilker Park and Hill Country. You can choose to disregard advice given on this forum by people who actually live here but then you will be in for a disappointment once you move here.

And, using 2012 data to justify your ideas about rent in this city is laughable. In 2 years the prices of this city have skyrocketed and will continue to do so as long as 110 people continue to move a day here believing the myth that this city is "cheap" and that the residents of the city are just "bitter" about people moving here and giving false advice.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:03 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,285,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppp38 View Post
And, using 2012 data to justify your ideas about rent in this city is laughable. In 2 years the prices of this city have skyrocketed and will continue to do so as long as 110 people continue to move a day here believing the myth that this city is "cheap" and that the residents of the city are just "bitter" about people moving here and giving false advice.
Spot on. The other flaw in all of this - and not just the OP - is in taking "Austin" data for the analysis. If someone wants a place for $1700/mo, they can move in tomorrow. All the "data" will support that. But when one wants walkable, cool shops, etc., then you are talking about a VERY thin slice of the market, which, OBTW, every other person moving here wants as well. And then the name calling starts when reality doesn't match up to dreams.

The "data" is driven by the entire metro area, which isn't so obvious from afar. The SXSW/ACL Austin is but a minute part of the market, but is the one that gets the buzz.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:26 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,973,582 times
You're not going to get what you want in Austin for current set budget. Unlike the Seattle area and its topography, this
is Texas and nothing is limiting urban sprawl. Maybe the availability of water one day.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:30 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,520,866 times
OP, check out Barton Greenbelt complexes off Mopac. There are some lovely properties with pools, gyms, etc. just off Mopac and close to Zilker Park. Another area that may/may not interest you is Sunset Valley. It is NOT downtown, but there are a number of nice complexes over there within walking distance to restaurants and shops, and there's a nice hiking trail over there as well. My daughter lives in one of the larger complexes on Brodie Lane and enjoys all the close-by amenities there including a nature preserve.

Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin