Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 05:48 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,109,283 times

Advertisements

When I say bar, I mean the adult kind. The kind of bar you don't take kids to. Fully licensed.

Not just sports bars, or beer bars, but friendly neighborhood cocktail bars.

I think if there were more bars like this, where you could walk to, there would be less drunk driving.

The city should be more helpful with this. Maybe relaxed zoning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 05:51 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,863,183 times
Oh yes. Definitely the city's responsibility to help you get loaded easier.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:00 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,109,283 times
I offer this as a solution to a big problem in this city. History has proven that you're not going to stop people from getting drunk. But thanks for the judgmental attitude.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:18 PM

115 posts, read 161,014 times
I don't think is the city responsibility to create more adult bars, just saying...

Old 05-30-2014, 06:18 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,708,900 times
I worked in a bar many years ago. The drunks would drink two drinks at a bar, get in their car and drive to the next. Get two more drinks; rinse; repeat.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I offer this as a solution to a big problem in this city. History has proven that you're not going to stop people from getting drunk. But thanks for the judgmental attitude.
As was discussed pretty intensively in another thread, the where and how of social drinking is not the contributing factor to DUI rates rising or falling, it's the penalties associated with DUI and the social acceptance of this.

So, yes, I was (somewhat snarkily) judging your solution to be of little to no value. Plus, do you want to be the house next door to the neighborhood bar? Deal with the music, the smell, the drunks pissing on your fence after last call - the fights, the yelling, the disruption of the neighborhood?

The "big problem" is that the hammer isn't brought down on those found to be DUI. Here's a snippet:

England: Loss of license for a year, kind of pointless, since that's your JAIL time. Yes 1 year.

Russia: Bye bye license for LIFE.

Ireland: 2 year license suspension

Colombia: Anywhere from 1 year suspension (.01-.03) to Jail (.15+)

Poland: .02 limit one month jail time, license suspended.

El Salvador: Death by firing squad. No lie, first offense is your last.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:06 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,292,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
The "big problem" is that the hammer isn't brought down on those found to be DUI. Here's a snippet:
You DON'T even want to think about a DUI in Germany. Over .116, a fine based on your income - typically 2500 - 5000 €. License suspension of 6 months - after being licenseless for months awaiting a court date. But that is when the fun just starts: a thorough medical and psychological "inquiry". First part is a hand eye coordination test. Second part is a liver function test for elevated enzymes associated with chronic alcohol abuse. Last part is the hardest. Extensive questioning by a psychologist to determine if you can control your drinking. 70% failure rate. Four month wait for a retake - licenseless.

The Germans view DUI as antisocial behavior. If that is "judgemental", then so be it.

PS - for all the bike riders here, you can get the same process for DUI on a bike.

Last edited by scm53; 05-30-2014 at 09:23 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 09:13 PM

There's tons of examples of this. The Germany one just highlights the case - in most countries, DUI is to them what a pipe-hitting meth addict is to the US.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:09 AM

416 posts, read 582,435 times
I do think certain parts of Austin should have more neighborhood bars or pubs, the kind you can walk to from your house or apartment. Northwest Austin, where I grew up, doesn't have very many bars like this. And, yes, it is partly a zoning issue. FWIW, there is some evidence that providing access to public transportation actually reduces drunk driving. In other words, increasing walkability, not just penalties, is one viable solution. The "quality of life" complaints one hears about this sort of thing are mostly silly. Some people seem to think that every mixed-use area is like Manhattan. I live about a block away from several bars in an area that has all kinds of housing. My neighborhood is not a madhouse. In fact, it's pretty quiet. I'm not suggesting everyone should live in a neighborhood like mine, obviously, but it would be nice to have more options along these lines in Austin.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:32 PM

440 posts, read 716,105 times
You must not be from Texas (which is okay).

I'd love to have a "Cheers" or a local pub, but in a state that still has dry counties, booze was to be kept away from dwellings. The zoning laws still reflect that in many cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin