Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 08:01 AM

8 posts, read 8,515 times

Advertisements

I'm in a quandary -

Kid2 was accepted into Kealing, we can only enroll only if we live within Austin ISD. We currently are in RRISD and we both loathe the middle school that we are zoned for. If I had the resources I would have pulled Kid2 out back in September.

Kid1 just finished their freshman year and would need to enroll into a new high school if we move. I have read that Anderson is a top choice on the north side of town, however they don't offer ROTC. Reagan has an ROTC program. Kid1 did not take ROTC the 1st year, so this is not a requirement. But, this kid needs structure and motivation to stay and do well in school. Kid1 would be willing to join the tennis team, provided she made the try outs. Is Anderson tennis extremely competitive?

Financially it would behoove us to move, we are currently renting a great space in a pretty good neighborhood for only $1200. Moving would make us bump our rent up to at least $1400, most likely $1500.

My question is - would you move just for one kid? The school Kid2 is at is safe, that is the only positive thing I can say. At Kealing, Kid2 will have the opportunity to be enriched academically and be with their own kind of high achieving/gifted students. The middle school is leaving Kid2 in on-level classes despite having an A+ and commended scores. Our previous district in another part of Texas placed Kid2 in gifted and Kid2 excelled, RRISD policy doesn't recognize that. I've hit a brick wall with their staff.

If you would move, what high school should I enroll Kid1 in? Anderson, Lanier, or Reagan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 08:09 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,871,680 times
Anderson.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:31 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,386,240 times
McCallum is also fine. Far superior to Lanier or Reagan.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:04 AM

15 posts, read 23,915 times
Anderson is an excellent school. I have a sophomore who attends school at Anderson and he loves it. We moved to Austin during his freshman year after the school year was already underway and he was immediately and warmly accepted by teachers and students. They have a great number of outstanding extracurricular programs and clubs so I would think that your student would find a place to belong and stay motivated. The pre-AP and AP program is great for your gifted student, and the IB program is highly regarded. I would recommend Anderson to anyone. Keep in mind that real estate in the Anderson district is rapidly rising. Houses in the Summitt elementary zone are the most affordable, followed by the Davis elementary zone. The Hill and Doss elementary zones will be out of your price range unless you move into a duplex, condo or townhouse. Three-bedroom rental houses in the Summitt zone are currently hitting the market at a minimum of $1450-$1600 and renting fast. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: