Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:40 PM

99 posts, read 146,977 times

Advertisements

You can always move back if you don't like it. A change is always good, even if it's not what you expected. If you don't like it, move back. Give it a couple of years before you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 06:45 PM

109 posts, read 161,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I respect your opinion but I disagree. Mustang Island is pretty nice as well as North Padre Island.
I've been to both. Trash everywhere, vehicles driving on the beach...it's a travesty, really.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:56 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,167,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenziep View Post
I've been to both. Trash everywhere, vehicles driving on the beach...it's a travesty, really.
Yeah thats one thing I hate as well is seeing people leaving there trash everywhere. It's like people don't care. Personally I've lived in other states that have better beaches, but imo ours is not that bad considering other places I've seen.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:45 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Texas Monthly 15 Best Spots On the Coast.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:01 AM

109 posts, read 161,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
OK, I'll take this under advisement. I like that the author acknowledges the issues that I see. All too often it's "blah, blah, Texas is the best, I've seen beaches in _________ and they're worse. If you don't like it, move, blah, blah..."

Old 08-27-2014, 07:27 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,670 times
I live on Mediterranean 1/2 the year (southern Israel coast), and it makes Texas beaches look pristine. When I go out body boarding, there is garbage floating around. The prevailing currents come from Egypt, up past the Gaza coast, and you get god-knows-what floating in the water around you. I stopped going out in the water because it. It's the same dynamic with the mouth of the Mississippi, and the Nile. Prevailing currents bring sediment, agricultural runoff, and debris from human consumption. Sucks. That's why I take my family to Pensacola every year. I haven't been to a Texas beach in 8 years.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:43 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
OP, is it possible to rent out here for a year?

We made an easy transition out here but we have young kids so our life in addition to being hectic is also filled with the type of activities and social interactions that we would have most places.

You will miss the restaurants, Austin is making headway but it will never offer what NYC has (and that's ok).

Geographic isolation: We haven't felt it yet as there is a decent amount of exploring of central Texas to do, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, NOLA is about a 9 hour drive away...now if Mexico would get its sheet together we would really be onto something. No idea if you like driving or not, you might want to consider as part of your moving cost getting a vehicle that you will truly enjoy driving long distances in then you open up many other possibilities.

The airport is getting more and more use so I expect more direct flights in the not to distant future.

Good luck.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:53 AM

438 posts, read 832,116 times
Born & raised on LI. I have lived in several locales before moving to Austin. I have been here 13 years. It has been a positive move for me- I met my wife here and we now have a growing family. Sure, I miss LI but it is changing just like Austin is growing, so I know it would not be the same place that I left years ago. Other people talk about feeling isolated but I have driven across much of Texas and I love the open spaces and uncongested interstates/roads outside the urban areas. To see all that open space is quite nice. You certainly do not get that same experience in the NE. Austin is not for everyone, but I always accepted the places I have lived as they are, thus, I never had a problem adjusting as a result. The only thing I detest is the hot summers. I get happy once October is over! Good luck if you do decide to move here!

Last edited by XLIGuy; 08-27-2014 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin