Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 06:35 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Well, one of the things I frequently hear in Texas, (never heard it before anywhere else) is "you can't fix stupid." (which I always found interesting especially when I saw educational ratings compared to other states) ...
That slander isn't supported by the NAEP 2013 Report Card. Texas students perform at or above national averages in math, and only slightly below average in reading - which is pretty amazing given the limited English proficiency students we have here - courtesy of a government that refuses to enforce our immigration laws. We just take those kids in, and learn them up.

And get snide comments from other immigrants about how "stupid" we must be. Shameful.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:47 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,123,288 times
I travel a fair amount to states that already have this law. It is easy to deal with, and anyone that doesn't think holding a phone to their ear or looking at a phone is kidding themselves. I haven't read this new law but in the other states you can listen to the gps.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:40 AM

152 posts, read 280,885 times
[quote=iamwayne;36276682]City council has pass the hands free ordinance.

Starting Jan 1, 2015, it be illegal to use a cellphone behind the wheel of a vehicle or while riding a bike without a hands free device in the City of Austin.

Way overdue IMO

Old 08-29-2014, 10:35 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,864 times
I'd like clarification about whether or not you can listen to a phone's GPS, if it's programmed before leaving. I like mine better than the one in my car.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:08 AM

37 posts, read 43,129 times
You can use your phone for anything you used it for before, it just needs to be fixed to the dash in a cradle. You can pick these up for $20 that hook up to your AC vents and they work well.

As someone who rides a motorcycle and can see into everyone's car, it's not an exaggeration to say 50% of all drivers are browsing the internet, texting, emailing, etc while driving. I think it's going to be hard to enforce. However, I'm pretty sick of almost getting clobbered at intersections because some dumb ass is choosing to be on their phone instead of paying attention. Stupid people always ruin it for everyone else.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:26 AM

912 posts, read 1,285,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
I'm guessing you meant turd...
Turnip was my guess, but yours makes more sense. It's hard to post and drive at the same time, huh Steve? Darn that autocorrect

Old 08-29-2014, 12:06 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscro View Post
You can use your phone for anything you used it for before, it just needs to be fixed to the dash in a cradle. You can pick these up for $20 that hook up to your AC vents and they work well.

As someone who rides a motorcycle and can see into everyone's car, it's not an exaggeration to say 50% of all drivers are browsing the internet, texting, emailing, etc while driving. I think it's going to be hard to enforce. However, I'm pretty sick of almost getting clobbered at intersections because some dumb ass is choosing to be on their phone instead of paying attention. Stupid people always ruin it for everyone else.
Not exactly. The text of the ordinance says it is illegal to have the electronic device in your hand or to touch it. So a GPS App or music player sitting, say, on the center console should be OK.

Text:

http://austin.siretechnologies.com/s...4010738487.PDF

Old 08-29-2014, 12:37 PM

37 posts, read 43,129 times
Wow this is changed since the last time I read the text. Am I missing something, or are they actually saying you only need to have it "fixed" to the vehicle if you're using GPS? Confusing....

(2) the portable electronic device is used in a hands-free mode of
operation and used to engage in telephone communication or to listen
to audio transmissions;

(3) the portable electronic device is [as] a global positioning or navigation
device, or global positioning or navigation software on a device, and
the device is affixed to the motor vehicle or bicycle;

Old 08-29-2014, 02:00 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,373 times
It is poorly worded. Given that the ordinance specifically links "use" with manipulation I think the cleanest way to read it is that you may only ADJUST a GPS device if it is in some kind of holder.

This is what happens when you are jamming things through before an election.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:39 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,866 times
I don't understand the fuss. If you want to use your phone's GPS, program it while your vehicle is legally stopped and set it to vocally give you directions, and secure it somewhere (idk a cupholder if you don't want to buy anything to mount it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin