Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 04:09 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

So, before cell phones and texting, how many of you that are objecting to this read a book or the newspaper while driving down the road?

Old 08-29-2014, 05:18 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Yet another stupid austin law, to go hand in hand with the bag ban. Why not ban kids too since they're distractions

Old 08-29-2014, 05:34 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yet another stupid austin law, to go hand in hand with the bag ban. Why not ban kids too since they're distractions
Way ahead of you...never had kids and quit coaching juniors YEARS ago. (Although, to be fair, I quit coaching juniors because most of them had PARENTS )

Old 08-29-2014, 05:56 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
That slander isn't supported by the NAEP 2013 Report Card. Texas students perform at or above national averages in math, and only slightly below average in reading - which is pretty amazing given the limited English proficiency students we have here - courtesy of a government that refuses to enforce our immigration laws. We just take those kids in, and learn them up.

And get snide comments from other immigrants about how "stupid" we must be. Shameful.

Yes, I do believe you could say I was the pot calling the kettle black...if I really meant any of that post in seriousness. Afterall...I'm only the second generation born in the good ol USA.

Hey scm53...just to clarify...I don't use that saying..well, until I put it in a post. (not a good move me thinks) Furthermore, I've never heard that saying until I moved here. I hear it from people born and raised in Texas. The same as I see nasty bumper stickers against President Obama and things like "I want my country back". I do think it's just part of what goes on here just as in every state or part of the US...there might be a different slant to things. It's pretty obvious to me this is primarily a republican state with an edge toward Rush Limbaugh and Rushtype comments. Just an observation.

Also, the stats I was thinking about were from when we first moved here and I was looking for them. It looked to me back five years ago or so Texas didn't look too good compared to other states. Darned if I can remember what study I was reading. I'll tell yah what I should be ashamed of...spouting off about Texas education when I don't have the facts in hand. My bad. I do apologize for that.

Open mouth/insert foot. I really should know better but sometimes I just don't.

Anyway...how about passing a law to make parking spots bigger than a match box car? Or, how about passing a law where you are not allowed to enter the freeway in the same place someone else is exiting. Sorry, we spent half the day around Austin and I am completely burned out from the driving experience...among other things. Saw a nasty motorcycle accident on one of those exit/merge type deals. Yes, I know it can happen anywhere but witnessing an accident always puts me off kilter...more so than my normal off balance.

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 08-29-2014 at 06:08 PM..

Old 08-29-2014, 06:05 PM

554 posts, read 1,060,927 times
I can't believe anyone is against this. Drive your vehicle. You have a responsibility. This isn't a game of "how much can I multitask while driving?"

Old 08-29-2014, 06:14 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So, before cell phones and texting, how many of you that are objecting to this read a book or the newspaper while driving down the road?

I cannot think of any instance where it's ok to put someone elses life in danger. Or maybe I'm deluded.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:38 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,218,798 times
Nonsense laws like this is exactly why I left New York for Texas.

Now it pops back up again in Austin.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:50 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Interesting thing about this is how technology will so make this passé. My car right now links to my iPhone via BT. Which means I can call up Siri and send a text hands free. I travel and rent cars a lot, and this is becoming commonplace.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Interesting thing about this is how technology will so make this passé. My car right now links to my iPhone via BT. Which means I can call up Siri and send a text hands free. I travel and rent cars a lot, and this is becoming commonplace.
Motorola also has really neat driving features and hand free voice control. The Moto X automatically knows when you are driving and will ask you if you want to respond to texts and calls by voice. It also has always listening voice commands without touching the phone. No need to link the phone to a car or anything. Check it out.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 799 times
More Nanny-state garbage from the leftists running Austin who brought us the plastic bag ban. They don't want the State of Texas to "interfere" with Austin by passing a law protecting individual rights and choice, but they're all for interfering with my personal right to choose.

Holding a paper map is fine, tuning the radio is fine, but illegal to hold a cell phone. The only thing worse than the law is the scum who are gleeful about it. Funny, I never had a problem holding and looking at a paper map while driving, and I haven't had an accident since I started driving more than 25 years ago.

I hope the State does pass some preemption to throw this garbage out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin