Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Good location for a new Austin lake?
Yes 8 34.78%
No 11 47.83%
indifferent 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 01:40 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post

Again, why are you so insistent on destroying this neighborhood, the majority of which is outside the floodplain and isn't being bought out?
The neighborhood is already destroyed (flooded and being bought out), and btw I actually live in this area (and you don't) and I'm not trying to destroy it, I'm trying to IMPROVE it.

I think the issues here are bigger than a proposed lake. It brings up the same issues as the gentrification of East Riverside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Uh, better check your math again.

If topsoil in that area was that valuable, no one would have ever built a subdivision there in the first place, they just would have bought the land and scraped it for the soil.

?
The topsoil is valuable, but the location is too valuable to scrape the topsoil. Anywhere in Austin is too valuable to scrape the topsoil. If you scrape the topsoil, then land is worthless for anything except a lake, or a quarry.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:03 PM

240 posts, read 272,179 times
I walked the southside Onion Creek trail today. It was nice. I saw a few deer and a rabbit. Kind of muddy and some garbage but pretty normal other than that.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_ATX View Post
I walked the southside Onion Creek trail today. It was nice. I saw a few deer and a rabbit. Kind of muddy and some garbage but pretty normal other than that.
It is nice. I have hiked it with my children many times. I love McKinney Falls too - I renew my TPWD pass every year as well.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:18 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
The neighborhood is already destroyed (flooded and being bought out),
They are (offering to) buy out homes in the 100 year flood plain. There are still plenty of houses not in the 100 year flood plain.

http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...r_onion_ck.pdf

Look at the map. See all those houses in tan. That's the half of the neighborhood not in the new 100 year floodplain and not being bought out.

Quote:
and btw I actually live in this area (and you don't) and I'm not trying to destroy it, I'm trying to IMPROVE it.
You want a lake near you, and don't mind the houses of hundreds of other people being destroyed to get it.
Got it.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
The topsoil is valuable, but the location is too valuable to scrape the topsoil. Anywhere in Austin is too valuable to scrape the topsoil. If you scrape the topsoil, then land is worthless for anything except a lake, or a quarry.
You just claimed there's $60-100M (or more) in _just_ topsoil. That's more then the land is worth. That's on the same order as what the city is paying for the land (+ topsoil) + houses.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
They are (offering to) buy out homes in the 100 year flood plain. There are still plenty of houses not in the 100 year flood plain.

http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...r_onion_ck.pdf

Look at the map. See all those houses in tan. That's the half of the neighborhood not in the new 100 year floodplain and not being bought out.

You want a lake near you, and don't mind the houses of hundreds of other people being destroyed to get it.
Got it.
No one is talking about destroying houses outside the 100-year flood plain except you.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
No one is talking about destroying houses outside the 100-year flood plain except you.
1. You originally wanted to flood a lake up to the 500 year floodplain. Your picture still seems to do so.

2. All those houses would now be in the new 25 year floodplain, which would destroy their value to the owners.

Quote:
The neighborhood is already destroyed
And I'm showing you that it's not. There's all the houses in the "non destroyed" neighborhood. But you want to take away the roads that reach them.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
You just claimed there's $60-100M (or more) in _just_ topsoil. That's more then the land is worth. That's on the same order as what the city is paying for the land (+ topsoil) + houses.
The entire 100 year flood plain is larger than the neighborhood being bought out. The flood plain is about 3 square miles.

3 square miles = 1920 acres
1920 acres for $60mil = $30,000/acre of topsoil.

It makes economic sense if you took the top 12" off the land, and were able to sell for about $25/yard wholesale.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
1. You originally wanted to flood a lake up to the 500 year floodplain. Your picture still seems to do so.

2. All those houses would now be in the new 25 year floodplain, which would destroy their value to the owners.

And I'm showing you that it's not. There's all the houses in the "non destroyed" neighborhood. But you want to take away the roads that reach them.

The footprint of the 100 year is shown.

as for the roads, yes, keep them in the flood plain and let taxpayers repeatedly pay for repairs. Brilliant.

Last edited by sojourner77; 11-06-2015 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin