Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 07:18 PM

286 posts, read 295,288 times

Advertisements

I have been doing a lot of research on cities I would like to relocate to and Austin has came up a few times .

Things I am looking to have answered .

Can you still find cheap rent in a nice looking place in a safe area or has Austin turned into la , Denver , Portland ?
What are the cheap suburbs or areas to live in ?
I was told and read Austin overall is a very healthy city , people love to run , bike work out and there are healthy food places galore, is this true ?

Some info on me , I'm 24 I would have a job waiting for me as a laterally transfer only making 14 an hour currently but have a chance f overtime and extra shifts and I receive a 2 dollar raise once a year .
I have about 25k in savings , no debt and I would have a roommate with me thah will be unemployed at the start , where should I begin an apartment search based on my income and I need to be in a short commute to the Austin airport . Thank you .

I would say rent would need to be max of 1200
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 07:51 PM

117 posts, read 129,846 times
The challenge would be qualifying for an apartment. Based on your income, you'd only be able to swing about $700/mo, since most of the nicer places will want 3x rent in income, or a guarantor.

Apart from that, it's about where your job is located.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:02 PM

Pretty much all the places would deny me because of my current income ? How do people that come there in debt with no job or work at McDonald's make it .

My employment would be the airport

Old 03-19-2016, 08:28 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Many people get co/signers with a income. For a 1209 apartment that would be about 3600 a month which amounts to a salary in the low 40s. If my math is right HYena is right to say that's going to be hard. you might get lucky with something but otherwise I am going to reccomend that your roommate find a job before moving here unless you have someone who can co-sign with the income.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:12 AM

I'm just not understanding ( apologies ) this city is that booming that you can't even move there and find an affordable apartment outside of downtown without making at least 40k a year or a consigner? I have not heard of such a thing in places like Denver and Portland that are booming

Old 03-20-2016, 06:48 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriss92 View Post
I'm just not understanding ( apologies ) this city is that booming that you can't even move there and find an affordable apartment outside of downtown without making at least 40k a year or a consigner? I have not heard of such a thing in places like Denver and Portland that are booming
For a two bedroom, yes. But, to be honest, I would not be able to find a nice two bedroom in San Antonio, either. I have a one bedroom for under $800 north of dowtown. However, the apartment would be horrid for two people.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:12 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
Austin is experiencing a severe rental shortage and landlords can be particular and only select the most qualified applicants. As of February 2016, one bedroom apartments in Austin rent for $1203 a month on average and two bedroom apartment rent on average for $1575. They can be found for less, but there will be compromises on location, condition etc. Austin is not a city for the financially struggling to move here and expect to live easily or comfortably.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:40 AM

I am not financially struggling have about 25k in savings and no debt , I'm just starting out in my career path so my pay is relatively low at the start but it gets better . Few more years I'll be in the 20-30 an hour range but I wanna move to a city that has everything I look for while i am still young .

I'll never understand how people with dead end jobs or nothing set up and just wing a move go to a new city and just party and live reckless

Old 03-20-2016, 07:46 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,697 times
When I was younger and starting out and wanted all those things, I got roommates. Denver and Portland are the same. If you make $14/hr you can either spend a huge amount of money on rent and get a cosigner or find ways to reduce rent. If you're working at the airport, one option here would be to live East of Austin down 71 out toward Bastrop, but then you're not 'having it all.'

I wouldn't say you're financially struggling, but your expectations need to be in line with your financial situation. Almost anybody can live anywhere if you're willing to live with other people!

Old 03-20-2016, 08:15 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
I am not financially struggling have about 25k in savings and no debt , I'm just starting out in my career path so my pay is relatively low at the start but it gets better . Few more years I'll be in the 20-30 an hour range but I wanna move to a city that has everything I look for while i am still young .

I'll never understand how people with dead end jobs or nothing set up and just wing a move go to a new city and just party and live reckless
You're the one who brought up McDonalds employees.

$14 per hour is financially struggling in Austin. That's less than $30K a year. A $25K nest egg, while admirable for someone your age, can be gone before you know it. From a landlord perspective (and I am one), you and an unemployed roommate are a much higher risk than the new engineering grad with a $90K salary lined up. Does that make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin