Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 08:01 AM

316 posts, read 849,565 times

Advertisements

Let's use facts, not attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 08:16 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I have recently heard this claim that bond money is not subject to recapture, which if true would be a huge cost savings for AISD taxpayers. Still why did the mayor introduce a risky tax swap scheme if instead a simple bond would do the trick?
Wasn't this "risky tax swap scheme" also the one that would have affected the 20-30% of city of Austin residents who are NOT living in AISD? Had they swapped/used my taxes to pay for AISD expenses (when I'm already paying for another ISD), I would have gotten out the pitch fork.

But if this type of Bond only affects AISD residents.....sounds good (& logical for AISD) to me.

Question: Do the Bonds have to be 30 year? Why not a 10 year (or 5 year or 3 year?)

Old 11-03-2017, 08:19 AM

716 posts, read 539,606 times
lol thats all you can - you don't have anything to say

you can not deal with the facts so you attack like a typical liberal -the facts are the city as well as the district is using bonds to things that won't last for the life of the bonds- they are using bonds and the crybaby issues like its for the children with huge costs, they are using it for OM issues like sidewalk repairs, painting etc that should be in the original budget -

if you like paying these high property taxes i am happy for you - you will be the same crybaby that in a few years crying over the property tax rates - how you going o loose you house - you have to eat cat food for dinner

history is reaping itself and if you and other want to stick your head in the sand go ahead - but those of us who have lived through this have seen and felt the abuse of the use of bonds will not stand by and be silent

thats the facts -

Old 11-03-2017, 08:24 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
...they are using it for OM issues like sidewalk repairs, painting etc that should be in the original budget -

if you like paying these high property taxes i am happy for you ...

Do you simply not understand?

The "original budget" still comes from property taxes. It's not like the money in the operating budget magically appears. We're paying for it one way or another. But one way we not only pay for it, we pay double.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:44 AM

80 posts, read 100,624 times
The problem is that Austin is full of people who buy houses they can't afford, and rent places they can't afford. Pretending to be someone they aren't. Buying a modest house in a modest area and trying to improve that area is an unacceptable strategy to most people, and that is reinforced socially. Biggest example is the "stay east of 35!" BS that was used to sell real estate and benefit existing homeowners. Those that refused to buy where they could afford, are now paying the price and are being pushed out.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:50 AM

103 posts, read 113,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Wasn't this "risky tax swap scheme" also the one that would have affected the 20-30% of city of Austin residents who are NOT living in AISD? Had they swapped/used my taxes to pay for AISD expenses (when I'm already paying for another ISD), I would have gotten out the pitch fork.
No, the tax swap here refers to the district's M&O budget versus the I&S budget. The former is subject to recapture, the latter is not. Bonds go into the latter.

Edit: whoops, misread the flow of the conversation. Disregard!

Old 11-04-2017, 08:31 AM

716 posts, read 539,606 times
novacek understand it perfectly - what you don't seems to get is they are adding BONDS on top of the property tax for stupid things like painting - sidewalk etc

that over time will explode the total rate you pay - i guess you don't care if they BARROW today and pay 2-3-4-5 times more over the life of the bond to theses issues - buts math is math -you can not barrow yourself out of problems - try refinancing your house every year to paint it, put a new roof, replace the windows, repairs the slab, etc etc and where you are - simple you a heck of alot more than either your house is worth or you can't pay the bills

liberals use these tricks for those who don't understand basic math or are not paying attention -

all i am saying is any attention on what they are using bonds for - or i guarantee you austin will become just another broke california type city - history is repeating itself

you are going to see more and more of the budget go to payroll, benefits, etc and less available for required maintenance - just watch

Old 11-04-2017, 03:26 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
novacek understand it perfectly - what you don't seems to get is they are adding BONDS on top of the property tax for stupid things like painting - sidewalk etc

that over time will explode the total rate you pay - i guess you don't care if they BARROW today and pay 2-3-4-5 times more over the life of the bond to theses issues - buts math is math -you can not barrow yourself out of problems - try refinancing your house every year to paint it, put a new roof, replace the windows, repairs the slab, etc etc and where you are - simple you a heck of alot more than either your house is worth or you can't pay the bills

liberals use these tricks for those who don't understand basic math or are not paying attention -

all i am saying is any attention on what they are using bonds for - or i guarantee you austin will become just another broke california type city - history is repeating itself

you are going to see more and more of the budget go to payroll, benefits, etc and less available for required maintenance - just watch
maybe you dont understand how bonds work. When you borrow money with a bond you pay a fixed amount every month, there is no increasing rate. The total amount paid is known. When interest rates are at 3% you *want* to borrow money now if you expect inflation to occur. the reason is the money supply increases and actually reduces the cost of the bond.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:34 PM

420 posts, read 403,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantfixstupid View Post
My vote will be no. The simple fact is that they are biting off more then they can handle. Also, bonds are a terrible way to fund projects. Just because a known cost is established for a project that does not imply successful completion. Vendors can walk when it is convenient with very little penalty. I wish we could make bets on a bond's success or failure on meeting certain implementation milestones if passed. These are very predictable and commonly cost more than originally thought. Excuses become very abundant when supplies, staffing ect. are considered valid reasons for failure.
It’s called a credit default swap. You can bet on it.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:34 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,301 times
Quote:

Residents of Austin and AISD.

Our schools need support so that internet posters can correctly use grammar, spelling, punctuation, and basic math.

Please support our schools and vote for the bond. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin