Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 08:03 AM

55 posts, read 224,919 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to get some feedback from some of you newbies to Austin.

Can you tell me what you like the best about Austin? Do you go to the live music venues often? Do you think Austin is over rated? What are you favorite recreational activities? What has disappointed you about living here?

I have been here for over 30 years and would like to hear what my new neighbors have to say about the lifestyle here. Since I have been here so long of course things look different to me.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 04:47 PM

92 posts, read 761,486 times
Default Feedback

I moved to Austin a couple of months ago. It is really not what I expected. I think it's changed over the last ten years from what I've heard. I have been exploring different places and blogging about them. If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it!
(broken link)

Last edited by Yac; 12-17-2006 at 01:45 PM..

Old 12-15-2006, 09:03 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,761 times
Default I"ll give my two cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaluck View Post
Can you tell me what you like the best about Austin? Do you go to the live music venues often? Do you think Austin is over rated? What are you favorite recreational activities? What has disappointed you about living here?

Thanks!
Well, we've been here for 3 months now. What I like best about Austin so far are the two things I found lacking in Phoenix: 1) the rolling topography of Hill Country - it's gorgeous and lush and the trees are to die for and 2) the vibrant downtown.

I would love to go to the live music venues, but with two little children, we don't get out at night much. I hope that when they're a bit older, we'll be able to engage more on the music front.

I think whether Austin is overrated really depends on where you're coming from, and what you're looking for. For us, it's not overrated.

Our favorite recreational activities are really doing a lot of walking, tennis, going to the parks. I'm in so much better shape for having moved here.

there are a couple of things that are not what I expected moving here. I wouldn't say they're disappointments, just more an instance of me needing to reset my expectations. First, the critters have been a bit tough for me to deal with. I did NOT expect them to be worse than Phoenix, and IMO, they are. I am dreading the return of mosquito season.

Second, I haven't been completely bowled over by the level of friendliness here. Before people get upset with my comment...I am not saying people are unfriendly by ANY means. In fact, I've encountered almost NO unfriendly people. but what I've encountered is a lot more indifference than I would have hoped for. (This forum is an exception - everyone here is incredibly nice, helpful and welcoming.) But after reading how friendly the town was, I haven't really found people jumping out of their skin to be nice to me - whether it's at Target, in a restaurant, or in the park. I'm a pretty friendly, outgoing person, so I don't think it's me. I am just not feeling the southern hospitality love.

One of the skycap guys at the airport the other day was chatting with me and he said, "Austin is such a friendly city, but with all of the out of towners moving here, you'll know right away who the Austin natives are and who aren't. The Austin natives will go out of their way for you and be extra friendly." I suspect this guy is spot on, but also hope to prove him wrong by being one of the extra nice people who isn't a native. I know there are a few here on this forum as well.

And that's my two cents!

Last edited by gigi927; 12-15-2006 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: forgot to answer part of question

Old 12-16-2006, 10:06 AM

Thanks GIGI I appreciate that. I do think anytime there is an influx of large amounts of people from different places there will be some tension. I am often frustrated with the hype because I think that it often sets people up for disappointment. I do think that the beauty that is Austin is being destroyed by too much development, not necessarily too may people. I am disappointed that smart growth is just not on the cities agenda. That I think causes lots of tension to new comers and people who have been here for a long time. I fear town lake will soom smell like the Trinity, and once it's gone,it's gone.

Old 12-16-2006, 05:57 PM

44 posts, read 169,997 times
Thumbs up I may be one of those transplants.

I have already accepted a job in San Antonio, but I have a company in Austin that's wooing me too (it's in the Arboretum area).

Funny that someone was blogging their experience, so am I...

<shameless plug>

http://danomite.wordpress.com

</shameless plug>

Old 12-17-2006, 10:40 AM

Thanks for your input and links to other blogs.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:51 PM

37 posts, read 161,239 times
We moved from CA and what I love about austin is
1. People are very friendly at least in my experience
2. Live music/culture is great
3. Hills, trees, lakes, etc
4. Weather is great, very easy transition from CA

What I would change?

Winter months...I don't like when things go dormat and turn brown

Old 12-26-2006, 08:55 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,724 times
what are the integrated areas around Austin that a small family would be comfortable in?

Old 12-27-2006, 12:20 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaluck View Post
...I do think that the beauty that is Austin is being destroyed by too much development, not necessarily too may people. I am disappointed that smart growth is just not on the cities agenda.
In fairness to the city, most of our local political leaders are committed to smart growth but they lack the legal authority to create it. The State of Texas is to blame for this lack of power. Texas hates Austin. We should kick the state government out of this city since the legislators from other areas are so beholden to special interests that they create specific laws just to prevent Austin from having a say in its own future.

Gee, can you tell this is a hot topic for me?

Old 12-28-2006, 04:02 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
Texas hates Austin.
You hit the nail on the head right there. That is SO true. Austin is a major pain in the a$$ for the state government and always has been. I've always thought it was ironic that the state offices are located here and those in power are forced to deal with us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin