Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 10:45 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times

Advertisements

I like Art Acevedo and hated to see him leave Austin but it sounds like Austin has left a bitter taste in his mouth. I thought he left here on good terms. I don't agree with him that Austin is only diverse east of I-35.

Austin east of 35 is alot more diverse today than it was when Art Acevedo was living here and it's becoming more diverse each and everyday. Most middle class people can no longer afford to live in East Austin on one income. There have been quite a few folks from East Austin that sold their property and moved to Pflugerville in the past 10 years. For a suburb, Pflugerville has quite a diverse middle class population. I honestly don't know why people say Austin is not diverse. I haven't seen the most recent demographic percentages, but I do believe Austin is about 50% non-hispanic white. In 2010, Austin was about 68% non-hispanic white. I do know that every section of Austin I go to, I see people of all races. The aporoximate 10 block section of 78745 in far South Austin that I live in, I am guessing it to be about 75% Hispanic, 15% white, 7% black and 3% Asian. On the street I live, the person across the street, my next door neighbor and myself are the only ones who are not Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 11:13 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzle Stick View Post
Diversity of INTERESTS, not people. MLK advocated for COMMON INTERESTS between black and white people such as common rights and well-being, but most importantly he endorsed the imporantance of INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY, which is the foundation of the Republican platform. MLK never told anyone to tear down a statue or remove "offensive" books from libraries like a facist.

BLM does not advocate for MLKs ideals. BLM advocates Reparations, Affirmative Action, welfare, government provided housing, education, and healthcare. The destruction of history, public apologies from white people, violence and overall preferential treatment above all others Brown, Asian or Native American.

MLK wanted walls removed so peopel were free, BLM wants a "fast-pass" to the front of the line in front of all other ethnic groups, and they are using white guilt to get that.
There is nothing wrong with the original tenets of affirmative action. Years ago it wasn't a level playing field for minorities (not just Blacks) and women and to dispute that is putting blinders over your eyes. Whether AA may be overreaching now is another debate entirely. It's a double edged sword because there are many smart, qualified Black applicants who constantly have to deal with people assuming they're enrolled in a university or hired due to affirmative action when that may not be the case. I was admitted to NYU due to merit, not because I was the "token" minority.

As for the "destruction of history", those figures were largely blights on US History and is not representative of today's US. Slavery and the force relocation of Native Americans are two most disgusting things I had the displeasure of having to read in US History. The US is not homogenous and never was. There's always been a native population and slaves were imported around the same time as settlement as well. Those historical figures represented pain for a lot of people and it is not unreasonable to want their effigies removed. And blacks don't have a corner on that, Native Americans wanted the removal of mascots if i can recall.

I don't affiliate myself with anything and agree that MLK wanted empowerment for Blacks - which welfare and government support doesn't do IMO - but there's nothing wrong with wanting quality education and healthcare, regardless of what race you are. If you're poor and receiving public aid, chances are you aren't receiving a great education or good healthcare. That is why COVID 19 is absolutely higher amongst Blacks and Hispanics.

I don't subscribe to White guilt either. But you can be cognizant of things without having to the self flog.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:33 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzle Stick View Post
Diversity of INTERESTS, not people.
Hmm, interesting, normally it's the libertarian types that think they're unique while anyone left of the GOP is a sheep.

Quote:
MLK advocated for COMMON INTERESTS between black and white people such as common rights and well-being
That's why these protests have struck a chord with so many. Everyone knows all a cop has to do is say "I was scared" to justify murdering anyone they please.

Quote:
but most importantly he endorsed the imporantance of INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY, which is the foundation of the Republican platform.
Lol, are you just pulling stuff out of your @ss and hoping I don't check it? He shuts you down with nuance, so I'll let his words do it:
Quote:
Here again those who project total responsibility for their actions on hereditary circumstances fail to see that numerous individuals rise above such circumstances... I must hasten to say that the above assertions do not mean to imply that heredity and environment are not important. I happen to be a firm believer in what is called the “social gospel.” Indeed, no one can intelligently care for personal life without caring about genetics and social reform. Moreover, the above assertions do not mean to imply that our actions are not somewhat conditioned by external influences. When one considers the cosmic setting of our lives, our absolute dependence on the maintenance of the earth's heat and moisture, the determining effect on each individual of the race's biological evolution, the momentous consequences of heredity, and the conditioning effect of environment, one cannot lightly talk about being the master of one's fate and the captain of one's soul.
Quote:
MLK never told anyone to tear down a statue or remove "offensive" books from libraries like a facist.
Never seen anyone advocate for removing books from libraries, though you might be able to find a fringe example. People being passionate about not glorifying their ancestors' torturers is understandable.

Quote:
BLM does not advocate for MLKs ideals. BLM advocates Reparations, Affirmative Action, welfare, government provided housing, education, and healthcare. The destruction of history, public apologies from white people, violence and overall preferential treatment above all others Brown, Asian or Native American.

MLK wanted walls removed so peopel were free, BLM wants a "fast-pass" to the front of the line in front of all other ethnic groups, and they are using white guilt to get that.
I'm pretty sure it's because they've been taught for generations to "yes massa" to police under threat of death and are tired of that. Cell phone cameras for the past decade have confirmed that their fears about invincible police with a bias against darker skin tones are justified. You don't know jack squat about MLK or history, which is maybe why you might forget it without a statue erected as a petty reaction to the Civil Rights Movement in the main square.

Last edited by Westerner92; 06-10-2020 at 02:54 PM..

Old 06-12-2020, 01:43 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
While Atlanta is pushing it's Black citizens out of it's core it's not even in the same sentence as Austin when it comes to the Black experience by and large. And I for one don't really buy into the Black Mecca title of Atlanta because I simply don't think a true Black mecca exist in America. But Austin and Atlanta are 2 different beast.

Me being Black myself I get what Above is saying. I personally like Austin myself and so do most Black people I know. But Austin feels the lest inclusive out of all Texas Big cities and that can have an effect on your overall experience while in Austin.

In Austin's core there's not as many Black spaces or evenly diverse spaces in the core in comparison to Houston or Dallas. That's not to say there isn't any. Trust me I have family that lives in Austin, I've been going to Austin since the early 00's countless times. I know Austin enough to know how it feels to the general Black public no matter their background or their beliefs. And it's always a "Austin is cool but...".

And it's that lack of Black and diverse spaces that make Black people feel uncomfortable over a period of time in Austin. And it's not hostile or overt on average. Most major and even minor cities don't have hostile racism unless you hit a predominately White residential area tucked away from the core for a reason.

Case and point: I've lived in Houston going on 10 years and some change now. I've had one overt racist incident since I've been living here. And that came from a Gas Station manager of Arab descent. Now just like any other place in this country I've encountered subtle racism or covert racial bias on some level. Every Black person or POC goes through that no matter what part of America you live in. That just comes with the territory of being Black in America. Same situation in DFW. Never really had any overt racist incidents just some covert racial bias on some level.

But Austin? I can count 3 occasions where I experienced some overt racism in the liberal playground of Texas. One, was a Female cyclist who called me the N Word because I accidently drove in her lane. The 2nd incident wasn't directed at me but ANOTHER Female cyclist was riding on the sidewalk and told a homeless Black Man to "Get out the way N word". The 3rd incident came from some drunk white guy on 6th street. Almost had to joyfully beat the breaks off of him. Now I've heard incidents happening like this to my cousins and other associates and friends who've lived in Austin before.

When my Cousin was single and dating in Austin he use to tell me how crazy the dating scene was there. He would either get the "I would love to experience a Black guy" types or the " Sorry I don't date Black guys" types. Now i'm not saying that this doesn't happen in Houston. I just think those incidents are less likely to happen because White people have more interaction with people of color in Houston. I also feel Dallas has more of those spaces than Austin does. There's consequences when you speak out of pocket like that when there's other people around that look like me and you.

So that plus feeling like the token has a lot of Black people putting a pause on completely embracing Austin. Ironically enough, when it comes to Texas Houston is to eccentric, quirky, "progressive" Black and Brown people what Austin is to eccentric, quirky, "progressive" White people.
Anecdotal stuff. Not sure how old you are but remember former Oiler DE Sean Jones? They asked him if he had any reservations playing in a place like Green Bay. His response "I haven't experienced anything in Green Bay, not anything racist, but please, I played in Houston....."

Old 06-13-2020, 08:36 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Anecdotal stuff. Not sure how old you are but remember former Oiler DE Sean Jones? They asked him if he had any reservations playing in a place like Green Bay. His response "I haven't experienced anything in Green Bay, not anything racist, but please, I played in Houston....."
He played for the Oilers from 88-93. That was 27 years ago. Never said Houston doesn't have it's fair share of racial issues but at least try to use a more recent example of racism in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin