Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 02:59 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times

Advertisements

Gosh dang police chief speaking false platitudes. Lost a lot of respect for him.

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/c...ston-protests/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 03:22 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Well the part about diversity and segregation in Austin vs. Houston is 100% accurate.

Perhaps the part he mentioned about people from Austin coming to Houston was based on arrest? I dont know if that part was just him talking or not.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Well the part about diversity and segregation in Austin vs. Houston is 100% accurate.

Perhaps the part he mentioned about people from Austin coming to Houston was based on arrest? I dont know if that part was just him talking or not.
It's very unbecoming, even if that were true. He's been trying to unite Houston, and I guess propping up Austin as the enemy, like some people are apt to do, is a part of his strategery.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It's very unbecoming, even if that were true. He's been trying to unite Houston, and I guess propping up Austin as the enemy, like some people are apt to do, is a part of his strategery.
No one should take any issue with the part about Austin being ok with diversity if its east of 35 compared with Houston and how it embraces diversity much more. There is nothing false about that part of his statement.

You gotta remember too who he was speaking with at that time: black protesters. The opinion of Austin is very low among African Americans. Thats especially true for those who have a strong identity with their race. He was in part pandering to them even if what he said was factually correct.

The part about people from Austin f-ing with the wrong city part could have been left out. That was a little too antagonizing.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:38 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Boy. Talk about trying to burn bridges.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:46 PM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Well apparently not only is this country divided but now so is this state.

Austin is definitely nothing close to Houston in terms of diversity, however; gentrification is pushing AA's out of the core areas of several major cities. That specifically isn't exclusive to Austin. In Dallas the majority of AA's live in S.Dallas (although that is an issue long pre-dating the gentrification of core area), Same for Atlanta (outside of Atlanta proper where it is aprox 50% AA's and 40% Whites -- where AA's are slowing being priced out of the core).. Now I will say, it probably isn't anywhere near as brutal as per what happened east of I-35 in Austin.

I see many factors as to why Austin isn't as inviting as places such as Houston or DFW, and I don't believe they're all racial reasons either.

Houston is an international city, also a port city. The energy industry draws employee basis of several ethnicity world wide. It has a much larger employer market than Austin has. Austin's employer market is very select (Gov't, IT and maybe Real Estate). Outside of Bergstram, Austin is very disconnected from the rest of the country. It is not a strong player in the logistics market as seen in DFW, Houston, and San Antonio. It is basically a limited scope tailored toward white collar work and competing for more diverse work force would be competing against DFW, Houston, San Antonio of which are all far more logistically sound metro's. Add to the higher cost of living in Austin with a relatively limited workforce, it won't be easy for Austin to grow diversity. For many outside of tech or govt, there is just no justification to choose it over Houston or Dallas.

As for the rioters coming from Austin, maybe some did - but it is not a unique situation in the aspect that rioters came from just about everywhere to the cities they targeted.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 06-04-2020 at 04:11 PM..

Old 06-04-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
No one should take any issue with the part about Austin being ok with diversity if its east of 35 compared with Houston and how it embraces diversity much more. There is nothing false about that part of his statement.

You gotta remember too who he was speaking with at that time: black protesters. The opinion of Austin is very low among African Americans. Thats especially true for those who have a strong identity with their race. He was in part pandering to them even if what he said was factually correct.

The part about people from Austin f-ing with the wrong city part could have been left out. That was a little too antagonizing.
I mean what do you want Austin to do? Move minorities into the ARboretum?

Old 06-04-2020, 05:35 PM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
And the thing is, Austin actually does have minorities, they're just not AA's. Austin has a pretty sizable Hispanic population.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
No, Austin should ask itself why they don’t find it appealing. The answer isn’t hard to figure out.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:25 AM

242 posts, read 206,780 times
Quote:
Austin is a popular enemy in Texas. It's more expensive, more educated, has higher income per capita, has more natural beauty, has better schools, has better jobs, and is generally more highly sought after than the other cities in Texas.

Austin lives its life the way it wants, and ignores the rest of Texas, while the rest of Texas is fixated on Austin for some reason. A perfect example is how San Antonio keeps latching itself onto us as the "San Antonio-Austin Metro" while Austin wants nothing to do with them. San Antonio wants us to start a pro sports team and create an international airport between us, because they want things they can't afford or financially support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin