Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 01:29 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by axorb View Post
I am comparing to this : https://www.redfin.com/TX/Round-Rock.../home/32747754, in round rock and in the $500-900k range i was talking about. Not a new build either. Cant imagine paying this price and driving an hour to work in downtown
Yes, there are people paying that price. They may or may not work downtown. You seem to think that everyone commutes downtown when many work in North Austin, Dell, or remote. There are many tech companies that are not located downtown.

Our home is valued close to 600k and it's 31 years old, on the far eastern portion of RR, and doesn't even feed into Westwood. I commuted downtown and yes, it took about an hour door to door - but I also rode on a bus and my transit costs were cheaper than criving.

And yes, people will pay that price for older homes an hour a way as a home just down the street from me sold for 605k.

Just because you have buyer's remorse and can't fathom why people would pay so much doesn't mean that others share your same views. It's obvious that you didn't scout the area out that you were purchasing in and failed to realize that if you want "nightlife", you wouldn't move to a true suburban family neighborhood, which probably doesn't want said "nightlife". Your area has low crime, easier commute into Austin, near shopping and such, and feeds into good schools. It wasn't a bad choice, it just didn't align with your expectations and that's on you. You obviously lust after Great Hills but can't afford to pay that price - so instead of feeling grumpy about it, learn to appreciate where you are at. It's only going to get better.

To me, the commute is worth it to get the house that I have, the large lot, the tranquility/atmosphere and the amenities. I have all manner of retail within a couple of miles from me, we lack for nothing. 12 minutes away is an express bus stop into Austin, along with lots of bars and nightlife. They've even opened up a wine tasting place near me. the restaurant in the neighborhood has live music on weekends. I don't want bars and clubs near my house, no way - call me an old fart.

BTW, that home you linked to is in a very high priced area that has gotten only more expensive as the years go by. We're talking acreage lots, custom homes, some on waterfront lots, with lots of mature trees. People will pay that because compared to a similar area in Austin, you'd pay in the millions. In all likelihood those homeowners don't commute anywhere. You clearly aren't familiar with that area because comparing some suburban new build on a postage stamp lot isn't a true comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 07:12 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
How are we comparing Leander and Round Rock to areas ranging between $500 - $900k?

A lot, if not most, of the new subdivisions in Leander are $500K+

Old 08-10-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
You seem to think that everyone commutes downtown when many work in North Austin, Dell, or remote. There are many tech companies that are not located downtown.
This. Pre pandemic, we used to venture downtown maybe 4 times a year, and that was almost always on weekends. I'm in Steiner. Been here for 15 years (long before the notorious Steiner traffic). My husband works off 183 and I used to work on 360 near the bridge. I now work almost exclusively from home, even when we aren't in a pandemic, and DH's schedule is crazy flexible. We rarely have to deal with the rush hour commute.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:40 AM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
A lot, if not most, of the new subdivisions in Leander are $500K+
I haven’t seen them. Most I’ve seen are in the upper $200k - upper $400k range. Right now the avg cost of a home in Leander is about $300k which is about $100k less than Austin proper.

Are they on the Ronald Reagan side of Leander?

Old 08-10-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I haven’t seen them. Most I’ve seen are in the upper $200k - upper $400k range. Right now the avg cost of a home in Leander is about $300k which is about $100k less than Austin proper.

Are they on the Ronald Reagan side of Leander?
Some are. The ones that come to mind are Reagan's Overlook, Marbella, and Bryson. Those are all on Ronald Reagan side. Then there's Travisso and Crystal Falls on the other side. The trend in those two subdivisions is towards higher-end homes.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:44 AM

109 posts, read 83,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yes, there are people paying that price. They may or may not work downtown. You seem to think that everyone commutes downtown when many work in North Austin, Dell, or remote. There are many tech companies that are not located downtown.

Our home is valued close to 600k and it's 31 years old, on the far eastern portion of RR, and doesn't even feed into Westwood. I commuted downtown and yes, it took about an hour door to door - but I also rode on a bus and my transit costs were cheaper than criving.

And yes, people will pay that price for older homes an hour a way as a home just down the street from me sold for 605k.

Just because you have buyer's remorse and can't fathom why people would pay so much doesn't mean that others share your same views. It's obvious that you didn't scout the area out that you were purchasing in and failed to realize that if you want "nightlife", you wouldn't move to a true suburban family neighborhood, which probably doesn't want said "nightlife". Your area has low crime, easier commute into Austin, near shopping and such, and feeds into good schools. It wasn't a bad choice, it just didn't align with your expectations and that's on you. You obviously lust after Great Hills but can't afford to pay that price - so instead of feeling grumpy about it, learn to appreciate where you are at. It's only going to get better.

To me, the commute is worth it to get the house that I have, the large lot, the tranquility/atmosphere and the amenities. I have all manner of retail within a couple of miles from me, we lack for nothing. 12 minutes away is an express bus stop into Austin, along with lots of bars and nightlife. They've even opened up a wine tasting place near me. the restaurant in the neighborhood has live music on weekends. I don't want bars and clubs near my house, no way - call me an old fart.

BTW, that home you linked to is in a very high priced area that has gotten only more expensive as the years go by. We're talking acreage lots, custom homes, some on waterfront lots, with lots of mature trees. People will pay that because compared to a similar area in Austin, you'd pay in the millions. In all likelihood those homeowners don't commute anywhere. You clearly aren't familiar with that area because comparing some suburban new build on a postage stamp lot isn't a true comparison.
I mean different strokes for different folks right. I dont know why you come in every thread and vehemently defend round rock's honor lol. And to say that i am the only one who complains about living here you have clearly haven't met dozens of my friends who have the same remorse who live in brushy creek or cedar park. I am one of those people who doesn't commute downtown for work (office is on 360) , but guess what still easier to do the reverse commute from downtown to dell or 360 than vice versa.

"All matter of retail", sure if shopping at IKEA, target and home depot is all someone cares about then yes its fantastic, but i go to ikea or home depot maybe once a year and i know plenty in the same boat.

And as for restaurants sure maybe i can get to salt lick bbq or moonshine or one or two breweries but thats about all there is in 10 mile radius ?

I have friends who work live in round rock who took a job at Dell or Ebay but then moved to better companies like google and facebook (both of which have offices in downtown and expanding rapidly) and absolutely loathe the commute and wish they could afford to buy something closer to town.

Custom homes ? Like maybe 50 houses in a sea of thousands of cookie cutter tract neighborhoods i see on west round rock which go for 700k+ ? Granted east round rock has better looking communities than west.

Point of crime is mute because i have always felt very safe when i lived in downtown (property crime here or there but you can find that in avery ranch as well, people make it seem as if downtown austin is detroit). Fact of the matter is , people live in leander, round rock or liberty hill because they care about new built houses with decent schools and thats where they can afford. Thats like 90% of people moving into these areas. A vast majority of whom are desi people coming from bay area who are inflating the houses in round rock/cedar park who care about how much they can flex on other desi people with their big house but secretly wish to live in the domain (paraphrasing a friend of mine). A lot of these folks would move into the city in a heartbeat if hypothetically all houses in eanes isd turn into $400k home.

I am glad you found what you were looking for and wish you all the luck. But your experience and wants are different from a vast majority of 100,000+ folks who are moving to austin -round rock-cedar park-leander metropolitan area every year

Old 08-11-2020, 11:21 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
I mean different strokes for different folks right. I dont know why you come in every thread and vehemently defend round rock's honor lol. And to say that i am the only one who complains about living here you have clearly haven't met dozens of my friends who have the same remorse who live in brushy creek or cedar park. I am one of those people who doesn't commute downtown for work (office is on 360) , but guess what still easier to do the reverse commute from downtown to dell or 360 than vice versa.

"All matter of retail", sure if shopping at IKEA, target and home depot is all someone cares about then yes its fantastic, but i go to ikea or home depot maybe once a year and i know plenty in the same boat.

And as for restaurants sure maybe i can get to salt lick bbq or moonshine or one or two breweries but thats about all there is in 10 mile radius ?

I have friends who work live in round rock who took a job at Dell or Ebay but then moved to better companies like google and facebook (both of which have offices in downtown and expanding rapidly) and absolutely loathe the commute and wish they could afford to buy something closer to town.

Custom homes ? Like maybe 50 houses in a sea of thousands of cookie cutter tract neighborhoods i see on west round rock which go for 700k+ ? Granted east round rock has better looking communities than west.

Point of crime is mute because i have always felt very safe when i lived in downtown (property crime here or there but you can find that in avery ranch as well, people make it seem as if downtown austin is detroit). Fact of the matter is , people live in leander, round rock or liberty hill because they care about new built houses with decent schools and thats where they can afford. Thats like 90% of people moving into these areas. A vast majority of whom are desi people coming from bay area who are inflating the houses in round rock/cedar park who care about how much they can flex on other desi people with their big house but secretly wish to live in the domain (paraphrasing a friend of mine). A lot of these folks would move into the city in a heartbeat if hypothetically all houses in eanes isd turn into $400k home.

I am glad you found what you were looking for and wish you all the luck. But your experience and wants are different from a vast majority of 100,000+ folks who are moving to austin -round rock-cedar park-leander metropolitan area every year
I don't defend "Round Rock's honor", but come on man, you clearly didn't do your research yet you like to post in threads discouraging people from choosing a perfectly good city to live in. I have lived in this area for a long time, so yes I will comment on it, as it is my right to do so.

Additionally, you clearly don't know much about the city if you state that the only retail is Ikea and Target. Tell me one major retailer that isn't in Round Rock or nearby Pflugerville. There are few. There are also many local shops. Round Rock is a city of over 100k people not some one stop light town. If a retailer is smart, it would expand into the northern suburbs where there is explosive growth. Additionally, the same can be said for many other areas outside of Round Rock - that the retail are chains. There are far more restaurants than Salt Lick and a couple of breweries. There's Cuban, Puerto Rican, Ethiopian, Indian, Japanese, Creole, soul food/southern comfort food...Go for a drive and explore, or pick up the Impact and see for yourself instead of complaining.

Your "dozens of friends" are still anecdotal tales, because there is constant growth in the northern suburban cities for a reason and it ain't just Indians. If there is any exodus due to a supposed lack of amenities, it is negligable. you don't know the reasons for why most people move where they move. You quote 90% of the reason why people move is because they care about new built houses, but how do you know that? Have you polled 90% of all homebuyers? If new construction is such a big deal, then tell me why is my "old" neighborhood selling homes at such a fast pace?

And those tract homes go for that price because of demand - whether it's Indians or whoever. It doesn't make sense to me in the least to buy into a place and then complain when you should have known what you were getting into. Part of due diligence is researching an area and if you're going to spend that much money for a home, you'd think you'd do that. As for your friends, it's absolutely silly to buy a large home to "flex" on your friends and then complain about the location and how it's sooooo far away. You want space and good schools but not pay a million dollars? Then you have to concede some..that's how it works. Many people understand that and are content with their purchases. For those who have unrealistic expectations and didn't do their homework, or take a job that takes them farther out, I say move....but then you won't be able to flex on your friends with your big house. Can't flex when you own a small 70s rancher and the schools may be garbage, right? To waste one's energy desiring something that you can't have is just that...a waste of energy. Your friends are probably not CEOs, directors, and such but probably rank and file tech workers, so they covet things that they can't have - large space with media rooms and the like and be in a close in location. Instead of wasting time on pointless regrets, use that energy to really explore where you live and make it work. There are pros and cons, but after living here for as long as I have, there's been more pros than cons. The ONLY con I can really think of is commute...can't argue with that...but the way I look at it, I'm from New York. We are used to hour long commutes. It's life, so commuting was never a big motivator for me. I didn't drive to work, so that my commuting life was easier than most and thanks to Covid, more jobs are becoming remote so commute may soon be not much of an issue.

As for wishing me luck, thanks, but as I said I've lived in the area for close to 16 years, so yeah...I guess you can say that it's working out. We sold our home at a profit and could have moved into Austin, no problem. But we instead moved eight minutes farther north, into an older home that was actually smaller, in an area that is exploding in all sorts of growth. I actually like where I live very much and have no desire to move until retirement. I have everything I could ask for within minutes and each year brings new things. Can I get what I have in Austin? (non tract home, large lot with trees, near a creek,etc.) Sure, but it'd cost a million dollars or more, easily. Do I care that I can't afford a million dollar house? No.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:05 PM

109 posts, read 83,567 times
I agree, i am not bitter just disappointed. I have no remorse, just a hiccup in a long winding road that is called life. Round rock is an excellent place for some folks. But for some city life is better

Last edited by axorb; 08-11-2020 at 01:53 PM..

Old 08-11-2020, 04:55 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
I agree, i am not bitter just disappointed. I have no remorse, just a hiccup in a long winding road that is called life. Round rock is an excellent place for some folks. But for some city life is better
I personally would live in whatever size house I needed to to have less than a 15 minute commute (even a mobile home). That is by far my top priority. But you cant optimize for just your commute today, you should also think about other companies you might work at and make sure those commutes would be ok as well. I have mainly stayed near spicewood springs/360 because Im in tech (with a year at rundberg and a few months at st johns)

After that I would make sure I had the largest lot possible so I could expand the (small) house when I could afford to. The great thing is everywhere in austin is appreciating so if you sell you wont lose money.

Per my thread, no place will be perfect in every way. Almost no places that have lake access are very walkable. very few places that are walkable have views. Most of the places that are walkable dont have good schools etc.

Right now you can buy between mopac and I35 in quail creek/mearns meadow by the new MLS stadium allthe way up to scofield farms for 300K. The further north, the larger the homes.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:38 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Will you need to be near the airport? Near any specific amenities? There was a poster a while beck who wanted to live in lakeway but was going to the airport like once or twice a week. Not sure where or if they landed in Austin.
What is wrong with just rating the suburbs? The point of this forum is to get insight. Are you offended that posters are rating via tiers? Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin