Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 482 times

Advertisements

I'm about to go solar. So many people in my neighborhood have so asked them why. Alot depends on the orientation of your haose and the amount of space you can put panels on. For me with and average usage cost at .15kwh the energy usage isnt terrible it's the damn delivery fee that's killer. Anyway my system will produce 108% at the minimum and up to 120% on the high end. My monthly is 220 so I'm super excited but it's not for everyone for sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2022, 04:18 PM

319 posts, read 347,476 times
Just a couple of things to consider.
You need power all 24 hours. Solar is part time.
The 108% to 120% is a silly statistic.
You still pay the 'killer delivery fee'.
Try to find someone with an engineering background to check your math.

Old 09-20-2022, 08:20 PM

307 posts, read 723,184 times
I too switched from gas to induction. The "negatives" you listed below are largely either A) silly or B) incorrect (or possibly based on outdated knowledge - I'm not sure).
The temperature granularity you have with induction is amazing. So easy to clean. your magnetic field theory is bogus and (coming from an electrical engineer) just plan wrong.
I'd take nuclear energy over fracking any day of the week - but that isn't why I chose induction. It's just a superior technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Here are the cons that you conveniently omitted:

https://www.consumerreports.org/elec...s-a5854942923/

tl;dr version:

1) You need the right cookware
Pots/pans need to be ferrous metal (magnet should stick to it). So that aluminum tamale pot or Costco's ceramic tagine is useless.

2) What’s that noise?
Complicated electronics and mechanical cooling fans (like for computer processors) introduce noise. (Ed. note: Also introduces more points for failure, making any repairs impossible or cost prohibitive.)

3) Dig out your dial thermometer
Unlike the Faraday cage cavity of microwaves, the magnetic field of induction cooktops is in the open air. Turns out that your digital meat thermometer might encounter interference (like static on the radio) and you will have to revert to the analog (LOL) version.

The winter storm last year have prompted many to unplug as many devices from the overloaded electric grid by switching (ideally) all major appliances to natural gas. Why give more money to ERCOT and the TX electric industry for that fake $9,000/MWh debt?

I don't have to worry anymore about adding demand on the grid during evening peak when I cook dinner on my natural gas cooktop, unlike my old electric coil one. The only time it uses electricity is the minuscule amount to light the burner (which could be further improved upon with a mechanical switch sparked by flint, like a BIC lighter). Once the burner is lit, there is no further (continuous) electricity demand on the grid.

Old 09-25-2022, 07:26 PM

1,108 posts, read 532,702 times
Agreed our induction cooktop save money, time and there is no hummm. Maybe the cheep ones do and also the kitchen is alot cooler as the heat goes directly into there pans. in addition our 15 seer heat pump heats the house just fine even when its 20 outside too.

Old 09-26-2022, 04:29 PM

19 posts, read 65,375 times
With battery+solar, the equation changes, specially when it comes to energy security. Having some number greater than say 50% will ensure extended functioning of the household during a long power outage. Before one goes "green" however, the first thing that needs to be done is an energy/efficiency audit to ensure that your new green energy is not being wasted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post

Old 09-29-2022, 07:13 AM

31,293 posts, read 20,790,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
Every time I do the math it is a very poor investment. DO NOT use the math the salesman gives you that shows a 3 - 5 year ROI.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:03 AM

15,278 posts, read 35,712,399 times
In the real world, it is usually a 10 year pay back.

As an investment, therefore, it pays in the 10% range.

It is not lost money, as it does add some value to a home when you sell it (while not being included in assessed value, by law).

Old 09-29-2022, 08:24 AM

11,868 posts, read 8,102,037 times
I went with solar, although for ulterior purposes than saving money on energy. I wanted redundancy and I installed battery backups as well. That stated, I will recognize that it is not a solution for everyone. Staying on the grid is cheaper in the short and mid-term.

Usually solar companies try to match your energy usage and bill but offset aprox 80 - 90% of your energy for what you pay for your normal usage month to month. Offsetting 100% + backups will cost considerably more than staying on the grid. Long-term it is hazy because there is no telling where the prices of utilities and energy will go. It will definitely rise, but rise enough to offset the cost of a Solar System for say 30 years? I'm unsure. My system will cost me in the ball-park of $80k for Solar + Battery Backups sufficient enough to remain off-grid for a decent period of time. I intend to pay that off within a year however and while it will set me back for a short time, it will not hinder me from selling if I decide to sell in the future...although I would be surprised if I reaped the entire ROI for the system upon selling if I chose to.

If however I was not in position to pay it off quickly, I wouldn't recommend doing it. The grid is cheaper, and the cost for redundancy is very steep. A Natural Gas Generator is much more affordable.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:18 AM

15,278 posts, read 35,712,399 times
There is a difference there, as well - the CoA (and Austin Energy) partially subsidizes solar and doesn't 'discourage' 100% offset. Their goal is not to maximize profits, though, as to minimize their operating costs. As such, AE is more interested in not having to build another power plant and/or putting off replacing generation capacity as long as possible. The payback on AE is probably notably quicker than private utility companies.

A co-worker over-sized his system to make sure he has 100% offset but did not put in batteries. It has been right around 10 years now and he has paid for his system and had power (intermittently) during the snowpocalypse a couple years ago.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:44 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,160,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Every time I do the math it is a very poor investment. DO NOT use the math the salesman gives you that shows a 3 - 5 year ROI.
solar people have always showed around a 12 year return (somewhat depends on your tax bracket)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin