Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 09:51 AM

11,804 posts, read 8,018,631 times

Advertisements

PEC doesn’t seem to encourage going solar. While they won’t condemn it. It probably makes more sense to do it under AE.

From what I have been told, the energy companies mandate that the solar systems stop generating during a power outage unless you have a battery backup incase there is work undergoing the utility lines so a worker doesn’t get zapped by someone’s solar system while he expects there to be no voltage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 10:48 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I went with solar, although for ulterior purposes than saving money on energy. I wanted redundancy and I installed battery backups as well. That stated, I will recognize that it is not a solution for everyone. Staying on the grid is cheaper in the short and mid-term.

Usually solar companies try to match your energy usage and bill but offset aprox 80 - 90% of your energy for what you pay for your normal usage month to month. Offsetting 100% + backups will cost considerably more than staying on the grid. Long-term it is hazy because there is no telling where the prices of utilities and energy will go. It will definitely rise, but rise enough to offset the cost of a Solar System for say 30 years? I'm unsure. My system will cost me in the ball-park of $80k for Solar + Battery Backups sufficient enough to remain off-grid for a decent period of time. I intend to pay that off within a year however and while it will set me back for a short time, it will not hinder me from selling if I decide to sell in the future...although I would be surprised if I reaped the entire ROI for the system upon selling if I chose to.

If however I was not in position to pay it off quickly, I wouldn't recommend doing it. The grid is cheaper, and the cost for redundancy is very steep. A Natural Gas Generator is much more affordable.
just be aware the solar panels decay by 1%/year. They are generally considered to have a 25 year lifespan.

Also batteries need to be replaced much more frequently.

You will lose about 50% of the cost of a solar system when you sell.

Old 09-29-2022, 10:56 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
in curious - what is the kWh for Austin these days (after the hike)?

We've been dealing with high electric bills (from .8 to .14 per kWh) and high gas bills (nat gas is now 1.24 per unit, up from .57 two years ago..yikes)

Old 09-29-2022, 11:06 AM

216 posts, read 179,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
just be aware the solar panels decay by 1%/year. They are generally considered to have a 25 year lifespan.

Also batteries need to be replaced much more frequently.
Newer LiFePo4 batteries have >3000 cycles empty to full and much more when not totally drained daily, expected life 10-20years. I do not think it is financially sensible to run 100% solar + batteries, but would be interested on setup that would be enough to cover blackouts of few days. Having one room with A/C (heatpump) and freezer/fridge with lights operational for 5days would give peace of mind.

Such system would not break a bank and would reduce bit electricity costs as well. Maybe 3kW solar array, with 20kW battery would achieve it with cost below 10k plus install.

Old 09-29-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpo1 View Post
Newer LiFePo4 batteries have >3000 cycles empty to full and much more when not totally drained daily, expected life 10-20years. I do not think it is financially sensible to run 100% solar + batteries, but would be interested on setup that would be enough to cover blackouts of few days. Having one room with A/C (heatpump) and freezer/fridge with lights operational for 5days would give peace of mind.

Such system would not break a bank and would reduce bit electricity costs as well. Maybe 3kW solar array, with 20kW battery would achieve it with cost below 10k plus install.
Even that is asking alot out of a solar system / battery setup. You would need multiple batteries to accomplish that. The single battery setup is good for sustaining you for a few hours, maybe 8 at the very most.. ..but to have days of power, definitely need more than one battery. You also have to have more panels than your current usage to charge them, which is why it gets very expensive.

Old 09-29-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:

the most cost efficient way is probably to buy a ford f150 electric truck with the max battery. The larger battery is about 130kwh, about 10 tesla powerwalls which are about 10K each.

Old 09-29-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:

you can get the same effect with 2kw gas generator that will cost about 1K or less. I ran my furnace, refrigerator and lights off my 2kw honda eu2000 during the snowpocalypse.

The thing sips gas.

After the snowpocalypse I added a 13kw propane generator that can power my house via a direct connection to the circuit breaker. box. The generator was about 1300 and the interlock install was about 1500 (should only cost 800).

Old 09-29-2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Even that is asking alot out of a solar system / battery setup. You would need multiple batteries to accomplish that. The single battery setup is good for sustaining you for a few hours, maybe 8 at the very most.. ..but to have days of power, definitely need more than one battery. You also have to have more panels than your current usage to charge them, which is why it gets very expensive.
Server rack batteries are 5.12kWh, need is four. Rack would take 6 in total, $1499 each.
https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-lifep...ery-48v-100ah/

Setup would be to avoid evacuation in hot summer without electricity and help with cooling to reduce bills a bit.

Old 09-29-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
you can get the same effect with 2kw gas generator that will cost about 1K or less. I ran my furnace, refrigerator and lights off my 2kw honda eu2000 during the snowpocalypse.

The thing sips gas.

After the snowpocalypse I added a 13kw propane generator that can power my house via a direct connection to the circuit breaker. box. The generator was about 1300 and the interlock install was about 1500 (should only cost 800).
That is correct, but makes noise and needs gas to store or keeping full tank in car. Propane/natural gas generator is probably best compromise

Old 09-29-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Server rack batteries are 5.12kWh, need is four. Rack would take 6 in total, $1499 each.
https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-lifep...ery-48v-100ah/

Setup would be to avoid evacuation in hot summer without electricity and help with cooling to reduce bills a bit.
I'm no electrical engineer but those batteries appear only to output approximately 51 volts and store 5.12kWh per battery.. ..A Tesla Powerwall can output up to 240 volts and stores about 13.5kWh of energy..

If its possible to connect those batteries in series to increase voltage to atleast 120V (which most household appliances, including your fridge require - Washer/Dryer/HVAC = 240V) then it would theoretically take about 3 batteries to match 1 Tesla Powerwall in terms of power availability.. which alone isn't enough to backup a home for several days. I could also be wrong about the power availability as hooking up in series doesn't seem to increase capacity, but only voltage.. If that is the case then energy storage would be less than half of a Powerwall.

Either way though I would be surprised if they were capable of keeping a HVAC system running for any meaningful length of time.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 09-29-2022 at 02:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin