Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:34 PM

314 posts, read 1,230,594 times

Advertisements

I love P.Terry's fries and lemonade - both are fresh. The veggie burger is also good.The regular hamburgers are not as good in my opinion - too thin and the meat is gristily (not sure I spelled that right).

As for Whataburger - yuk, yuk, yuk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 06:32 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,827 times
I loved Whataburger when they served fajitas about 8 or so years ago. Their burgers are okay, but I prefer Sonic to Whataburger.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:37 PM

385 posts, read 1,248,633 times
P.Terry's is the absolute yummiest that I've tasted thus far. Whataburger was actually THE worst tasting crap I've ever had. Sorry.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:02 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyr13 View Post
Huh, didn't realize DD was "foo foo". Giggling about that, since in RI, we make fun of Starbucks as trying to be the "elite" place while DD is what everyone loves. At any rate, I do buy the ground DD coffee at Target, but it's just not the same. sigh.
sigh, I love Dunkin' Donuts. Krispy Kreme doesn't have anything on DD. Coming from a blue collar family - DD was never foo foo or shi shi, just plain greasy goodness! yum!

Old 06-09-2008, 08:09 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
sigh, I love Dunkin' Donuts. Krispy Kreme doesn't have anything on DD. Coming from a blue collar family - DD was never foo foo or shi shi, just plain greasy goodness! yum!
TOTALLY agree with you! The funny thing is, I'm not even a big donut person. It's the coffee. And it's definitely not "elite" coffee (STILL giggling that DD could ever be considered anything other than for the masses), but it was just part of the culture in Rhode Island. We even have a DD ornament for our Christmas tree!

I do miss their bagels though - I tried one of the bagels from the DD here, and I swear, it was NOT a DD bagel. It was too heavy and yeasty, not the light but chewy bagels I used to get up North. The closest I have been able to get to a "proper" bagel is Einstein Bros...but it's still not quite right.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:20 AM

15 posts, read 68,212 times
I like Whataburger, but IMO, it doesn't compare with In N Out in Cali.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:32 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
Quote:
The closest I have been able to get to a "proper" bagel is Einstein Bros...but it's still not quite right.
Einstein is the same as Noah's Bagels - which you will find on the east coast and elsewhere... they aren't bad, but have changed a bit over the years. They used to keep a kosher kitchen!

Old 06-13-2008, 11:03 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,795 times
Love it...Sonic is also good!

Old 06-13-2008, 12:17 PM

264 posts, read 1,001,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
I like Whataburger, but IMO, it doesn't compare with In N Out in Cali.
That's funny, my sister-in-law's family came to Austin and it got late one night so we took them to Whataburger for a quick bite and they absolutely loved it! They compared it to this "In n Out" out in California, but said Whataburger was much better and that In n Out was overrated. I've never had it so I don't know, but they've lived in California their whole life so they probably had a good perspective. Also, there was an "In n Out" opened down in the Rio Grande Valley (McAllen) about a year ago, which went out of business! Texans love them their Whataburger and it just couldn't compete. It's thriving all over Florida and Georgia now so it would probably do well in California as well. Hmmmmm.....goood investment opportunity?

Old 06-13-2008, 01:30 PM

485 posts, read 1,959,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
Also, there was an "In n Out" opened down in the Rio Grande Valley (McAllen) about a year ago, which went out of business! Texans love them their Whataburger and it just couldn't compete.
I don't think it was the same company. IN N Out is family-run and keeps the stores close to California. They are just starting to fan out...6 stores in Nevada, 1 in extreme SW Utah, there are about 18 in AZ, but didn't used to be until recently, and then their gazillion stores all over Cali. I think they are moving East, but very slowly. I wrote an email a couple of years ago about how how many California transplants were in Austin and how many people commented when I wore my In N Out tshirt and that they should put a store here...but the response was that they didn't have plans to open in Texas at that time...so I don't think the McAllen restaurant was the same. Probably someone hoping to capitalize off the name.

There is a "Chuy's" in Phoenix, but it's terrible and nothing like the Chuy's here...apparently something about a disgruntled employee from here going to AZ to open his own restaurant. After years of legal wranglings over the name, I guess they settled or something. But the Chuy's in Phx definitely gives the Chuy's here a bad name. We had some friends come from Phx and we said we were going to take them to Chuy's...and the looks on their faces were sort of blank...later I mentioned that the two restaurants are wholly unrelated. They said, "good...we were thinking that you had really bad taste in food!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin