Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:45 AM

485 posts, read 1,959,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckellyb View Post
Easy.

"Go ahead, jump. Someone will pay the clean-up bill..."
Or maybe "...we'll bill your mother for the clean-up..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 12:03 PM

673 posts, read 2,717,254 times
The officer failed to serve the public. If the driver was "too emotional to drive", then the officer should have helped him get his pet to the hospital. SMPD will fail to serve the public if it doesn't take responsibility and corrective actions.

Last edited by aaauger; 08-18-2008 at 12:12 PM..

Old 08-18-2008, 12:13 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,617,438 times
Very cute tea-cup poodle, which we have one also (miniture poodle). After looking at this video, look how freaky the driver was, I understand he's (driver) was in shock, but 100 mph?!?!?! Middle of the night, full-moon, bright stars, who cares..... still considered wreckless driving. I admit the cop was angry, but he has all right to be and armed due to his freak'ish actions.

What kind of people do you think majority of the time cops deal with (drunk driver, drug dealers ect..) at night?

RIP - MISSY

Old 08-18-2008, 12:40 PM

Police deal with a lot of troubled people. They get lied to. They get mistreated. And yes, the incidence of drunk drivers rises during the early morning hours.

But regardless of how angry the officer was, it doesn't justify him withholding medical treatment from a living being or saying something cruel to the driver.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:42 PM

368 posts, read 1,785,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
I understand he's (driver) was in shock, but 100 mph?!?!?!
It was likely low-90's. In reality, with light traffic, regardless of time-of-day, this isn't all that fast for a modern vehicle.

A 'modern' driver, OTOH....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
What kind of people do you think majority of the time cops deal with (drunk driver, drug dealers ect..) at night?
When law enforcement, regardless of level, naturally assumes every person they encounter is armed, a meth-head, a narcotics dealer, or someone amped-up from running guns under their noses, we, as a society have a problem far more dangerous than any of those actual people the officer 'fears' he may be encountering.

At this point, we have Chinese government. Everyone is guilty until proven otherwise. FWIW, not guilty does not equal 'innocent'.

The test will be a water tub. Those who sink, and subsequently die, are innocent, those who float, and live, are guilty.

I can fully dig on the cop being more than a little wary in this case, but c'mon...the guy had his 4-way flashers on, and actually shut them off to signal moving over to the shoulder. This is ultra-uncommon. In a panic situation, even I, embarrassedly hard-core gearhead that I am, may not remember independent turn signals do not function if the 4-ways are on.

Then again, I'm not going to use my 4-ways at high-speed, either. That's what high-beam flashers are for.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:08 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Dear officer:

"It's just a career and reputation. You can get another one".

Insincerely yours,
The Public

Old 08-18-2008, 01:19 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,750 times
and the horn.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:21 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I agree the cop should have helped him get the animal to the vet. People drive 90 around here all the time and only now someone is complaining about it? There are numerous threads here about people loving to drive 80+. Don't you think that the 911 operator would just tell the guy to drive the animal to the nearest clinic anyway if he had done that? 911 is for human emergencies, and as far as I know EMT's aren't trained in emergency animal care.

I LOVE your comment above, twange

Old 08-18-2008, 02:38 PM

Twange's comment belongs on a petition, protest signs, bumper stickers and SPCA letterhead.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:06 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I agree the cop should have helped him get the animal to the vet. People drive 90 around here all the time and only now someone is complaining about it? There are numerous threads here about people loving to drive 80+. Don't you think that the 911 operator would just tell the guy to drive the animal to the nearest clinic anyway if he had done that? 911 is for human emergencies, and as far as I know EMT's aren't trained in emergency animal care.

I LOVE your comment above, twange
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
Twange's comment belongs on a petition, protest signs, bumper stickers and SPCA letterhead.
Good idea

Although, I'm not sure I would want that on the back of my car

Talk about being a target
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin