Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:59 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times

Advertisements

What artsy guy means is, if you can get a date without having to live in a gayborhood, then you'll be happy here. If you can't figure out how to get a date without living in a community that is exclusively gay, you won't. Based on his past postings.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:24 AM

819 posts, read 1,744,343 times
that sounds about right.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:25 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,983,409 times
Something I like about Austin is: We Are Everywhere. Just drive down Lamar and see one car after another with rainbow pride stickers or campaign for human rights emblems on the rear windscreen or back bumper. In that sense, Austin is actually a lot like London, where gay people are an integrated part of life everywhere (and although London has Soho, only a teeny tiny fraction of a fraction of a percentage point actually live there or even spend time there). You don't need a gayborhood if you have an integral presence Everywhere.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:28 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
Yes, it is such a nonissue here to be gay, straight or whatever. To be honest, no one really cares.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:39 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,400,510 times
Someone in our neighborhood recently advertised that they would like to start a gay potluck. I guess gay people like other groups like to find their tribes even if they are in an accepting place like Austin.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:13 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,058,820 times
Austin isn't the only city that's Gay. Somehow I found myself buying a house and living in a neighborhood here in Round Rock that has a lot of lesbians living here (with me now included! ).

And shopping over at the HEB on Greenlawn, I've seen quite a few there also.

Round Rock is definitely a "rainbow" city...

Old 07-18-2009, 07:36 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
For some reason I do not believe you. Round Rock is the more conservative part of Austin. But then again most lesbians look totally normal and blend in perfectly with society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Austin isn't the only city that's Gay. Somehow I found myself buying a house and living in a neighborhood here in Round Rock that has a lot of lesbians living here (with me now included! ).

And shopping over at the HEB on Greenlawn, I've seen quite a few there also.

Round Rock is definitely a "rainbow" city...

Old 07-18-2009, 07:46 PM

artsyguy, the fact that YOU couldn't get a date in Austin during the time that you were either living here or attending school here or visiting your cousin (depending on which version du jour one decides to go by today) does not mean that the city is not gay friendly. And, for the record, gays and lesbians BOTH look totally normal and blend in perfectly with society, because they are part of society. I think what you may have run into, based on things you've said, had nothing to do with your sexuality and everything to do with your approach. That happens to people of whatever persuasion sometimes and, that, too, has nothing to do with the city where they happen to be.

But if it makes you feel better to pretend that it's the city (the reports of many other gay and lesbian members of the community whose experiences do not reflect your own notwithstanding) and to develop an obsessive dislike of the city as a result instead of moving on in whatever place you feel more comfortable, I guess you're free to live your life that way.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:02 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
- Well there have been reports of other gay people not liking Austin or being disappointed with some aspects of the city. They have DMed me about it. It's not like they want to argue and debate the matter on the forum.

-Dating is crucial to some gay people. If they aren't getting that then there is going to be a huge problem. Think about not getting any action for months on end. That would be very frustrating huh.

-Some gay men and women do look, talk, and act differently than the norm. Not all of them are "straight behaving/conforming".

-Last you really cannot say either way if any negativity had to do with my approach or not. I'm as progressive, open minded, and fun loving as it comes, there is no reason for anybody to not like me unless they have some prejudices or biases. Yes I did meet liberals that were uncomfortable with the "gay lifestyle" that is how they phrased it. Pretty stupid right? That is their problem and issue not mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
artsyguy, the fact that YOU couldn't get a date in Austin during the time that you were either living here or attending school here or visiting your cousin (depending on which version du jour one decides to go by today) does not mean that the city is not gay friendly. And, for the record, gays and lesbians BOTH look totally normal and blend in perfectly with society, because they are part of society. I think what you may have run into, based on things you've said, had nothing to do with your sexuality and everything to do with your approach. That happens to people of whatever persuasion sometimes and, that, too, has nothing to do with the city where they happen to be.

But if it makes you feel better to pretend that it's the city (the reports of many other gay and lesbian members of the community whose experiences do not reflect your own notwithstanding) and to develop an obsessive dislike of the city as a result instead of moving on in whatever place you feel more comfortable, I guess you're free to live your life that way.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:13 PM

I didn't say that gay people in general can't get dates - given that many here (and many that I know in real life) have indicated that they are doing just fine in that regard, that's clearly not true - I said that you, yourself, said that you couldn't get a date in Austin because there's no gayborhood but gays are accepted into the community as a whole as normal people just like anyone else, something that several people on here have said that they are quite happy for (and have been working for for some time, come to that).

Your approach appears to be (and understand that I'm going strictly on what you post here) to be to insist that anyone who doesn't care for you, personally, must be prejudiced against gays, to be "flamboyant" to use a word that I believe I'm quoting accurately, which can put off people not because of your sexuality but because of the flamboyance in and of itself, to obsess about a city that you were not comfortable in to the point that, when you no longer live here (if you ever did), you frequent forums in order to badmouth it, and to tell differing stories about whatever time you might have spent here and your experiences here. Now, take all of that and, if it's your approach in real life, it might make people less than enthused about dating you/spending time with you in person.

Is that more clear? That it's possible that it's NOT the fact that you're gay, or the city, or the lack of a gayborhood, but the way you come across (and, based entirely on your postings here as I have absolutely nothing else to go on and for all we really know, you might be an 80 year old woman in Alaska in real life), that might be the reason you couldn't get a date here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin