Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 02:15 PM

43 posts, read 213,371 times

Advertisements

How do Austinites feel about Yankees, in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 02:39 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,293,052 times
Indifferent.

Texas doesn't take part in the whole "North vs. South" thing... we're not a Southern state. Everyone is a Yankee for us

Old 01-22-2009, 02:43 PM

not a southern state? Please explain

Old 01-22-2009, 02:44 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,291,138 times
I think there are enough people from all over that most people don't care. A lot of Austinites don't like Californians for moving in after they did, and have a "once I'm in, shut the door" attitude toward them. But as far as having a deep seated resentment or prejudice against "Yankees," I really don't think it exists.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:49 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,293,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnulife View Post
not a southern state? Please explain
I'm not talking geography, I'm talking culture. Texas is not part of the "South" in any way (different dialect, different accent, different food, different history, etc.). I think we identify much more with the West in every single aspect. We're not stuck on who is on what side of the Mason Dixon line... we don't care. We don't share that common bond that the Southeastern states share... we have our own, unique identity. Like I said, everyone is a Yankee to us.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I'm not talking geography, I'm talking culture. Texas is not part of the "South" in any way (different dialect, different accent, different food, different history, etc.). I think we identify much more with the West in every single aspect. We're not stuck on who is on what side of the Mason Dixon line... we don't care. We don't share that common bond that the Southeastern states share... we have our own, unique identity. Like I said, everyone is a Yankee to us.
Interesting. Are you speaking for Texas, as a whole, or just the Austin area?

Old 01-22-2009, 02:58 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,291,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
Just a thought, but I think people in places like Vidor or Jasper may disagree with this. Even in the southern suburbs of Austin I have seen rebel flags flying.

9th Texas Infantry - Red River Battalion - Reenacting Unit

Old 01-22-2009, 03:09 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,575,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnulife View Post
How do Austinites feel about Yankees, in general?
People will recognize your accent and ask where you're from probably out of curiosity. Otherwise, Austin has so many people from other places that nobody seems to care where you're from. It feels like I've met more people from Mexico, Missouri, Wisconsin, Michigan, Florida, and California than actual Texans during my almost 3 years of living here.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:16 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times
As a "Yankee" myself, I can say that I have heard my fair share of not-so-nice comments about people from the Northeast. Austin is not as bad as other parts of the state, but there is still some of it there. I think the biggest difference about Austin is that people think they are "joking" and don't mean anything by the comments, but that doesn't make them any better. That's like telling a racial joke but not considering it offensive because, heck, it was just a joke.

And it's true that Texans generally don't consider themselves Southern, but most people from outside of Texas seem to notice the similarites. The example of seeing rebel flags everywhere is a good illustration.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:41 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
Well I consider myself to be a Yankee and an Austinite!

Yankee in that my family roots come down firmly on the side of the Union if you want to go back to the 1860s. But I'm midwestern by origin not New England. If by Yankee you mean New England, then I do think that there are some cultural differences that can bother the heck out of New Englanders when they come south.

Yes, I know that these are broad generalizations but there is an emphasis on speed and efficiency over friendliness and sociability in NE, Texans and southerners in general are almost always willing to stop and chat. As a midwesterner, I love that. I have known more than one person from the NE who finds our "excessive sociability" incredibly annoying, they don't want to talk to the cashier or the mailman, they just want to get out and get on with the next hundred things on their list.

Cities south of DC tend not to snap and buzz with a certain NE urban vibe no matter dense they get (yes, I mean Atlanta and Houston and Dallas and Phoenix and everywhere else, Chicago excepted). Some folks from the northeast miss that terribly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin