Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 01:20 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,293,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
You can't be serious. You realize that Hays High School just recently (like within the last 3 years or so) stopped flying the Confederate flag in front of the school. And the fight song is "Dixie."
Not saying that they don't have them here, just saying that I have never seen one... especially not in Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 02:27 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,376,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
That's an interesting statement as I just returned from delivering two days of seminars in MA area. I was jokingly antagonized about Texans, former President Bush and people who live in mobile homes. Did I enjoy it? No, but I wasn't offended (I was irritated but I would never let them feel like they were irritating me).

A racial attack against a person is far more egregious and harmful than statements about my Southern culture or heritage.

At the end of the day I invited everyone to visit Austin and our state. That's the way I was raised and overall, it was a productive trip.

Some people wear their hearts on their sleeves and others don’t. In the end I really couldn’t care if you are from New Hampshire, New York or New London, Texas. Treat me with the same level of respect and dignity that you desire and we’ll get along fine. You want to joke about my culture – fine, just don’t become upset because my jokes are better. Just don’t make it personal or against my family or ethnicity.

And Sir, you are a gentleman--after being harrassed about Pres. Bush and Texans, you turn around and invite them to visit your state.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:05 PM

17 posts, read 46,975 times
As far as Confederate flags, I haven't seen one since moving to Austin in August. I saw them on a daily basis while living in Atlanta. I lived close-in to both cities too..South Austin & downtown Atlanta.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:36 PM

447 posts, read 1,850,318 times
I moved here after 32 years in New England (MA and RI) nearly 3 years ago, and get good natured ribbing about being a Yankee, but it's truly good natured. I absolutely agree with the pp that a Texan would receive FAR more jibes in New England than a New Englander in Texas.

I'm proud of being a Yankee, and frankly, most of the jokes I hear are fair (we talk faster, we're very liberal, we're crankier, lol) so I usually laugh and nod and say "yup!" It's all good. I think Californians have a MUCH worse rap around here than us Yankees.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:51 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,234,910 times
My friends and family totally give me crap about moving to "Houston!" It doesn't seem to matter how many times I say "I moved to Austin," either. They ask me about cowboys, cows, country-western dancing, etc... ALL THE TIME!

Old 01-23-2009, 06:06 PM

43 posts, read 213,396 times
Pardon me for interrupting, but why all the animosity towards Californians? And thanks for all the responses by the way.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:24 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,616,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Texas fought for the Confederates but did not host many battles on its soil and was not considered a "Cotton State" (not to the extent as say the Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi etc.). Although the last battle of the Civil Wat was fought in Texas, after Robert E. Lee surrendered. Texas was known as mainly as "supply state"(soldiers for calvary). And there was a significant majority of the people (25%) not in favor of sucession. In fact, the largest population of "anti-sucession" sentiment was with the large German population in the Texas Hill Country. Eventually, they got on board and joined the confederacy. That must be where Austin got some of its anti-establishment roots
Actually it was considered a "cotton state". Texas was one of the 7 original charter members of the Confederacy. Only in South Carolina was the vote for secession higher than in Texas. The "anti-secessionist" sentiment in Texas -- not to be confused with northern sympathy -- was no different than that of the other states of the Lower South. Northern Alabama and Georgia, southern Louisiana, parts of Misssippi all had areas which were opposed to secession as an original question. Bottom line is that Texas -- in the day -- was very much a "fire-eating" state of the "Cotton South."

It was in the Upper South states where Unionist sentiment was most extensive. All rejected secession until they were forced to chose sides...

Last edited by TexasReb; 01-23-2009 at 07:54 PM..

Old 01-23-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I'm not talking geography, I'm talking culture. Texas is not part of the "South" in any way (different dialect, different accent, different food, different history, etc.). I think we identify much more with the West in every single aspect. We're not stuck on who is on what side of the Mason Dixon line... we don't care. We don't share that common bond that the Southeastern states share... we have our own, unique identity. Like I said, everyone is a Yankee to us.
Although I agree (and am proud of) Texas has its own unique identity. Why do you say Texans identify more with the West than the South? I certainly don't. And every sociological survey I have ever seen disputes this so far as to how most Texans feel.

And no, Texans don't consider anyone not from Texas a "yankee"...even if you might. Our definition of "yankee" (which is NOT a bad thing, nor disparaging) is pretty much that of most other Southern states (my own kids are half-yankee, by the way! LOL).

Also, what is this "different dialact" you speak of? What is spoken in Texas simply reflects settlement patterns. West Texas is more "twangy". East Texas is more "drawly"...but ALL are part of what is broadly classified -- linguistically speaking -- as Southern American English.

Anyway, I am not trying to get into this old "is Texas Southern, or Western or Southwestern" thing, exactly. I happen to think it is Southern. Obviously some agree, some don't. The only reason I am going with it tonight is that Austin IS the state capitol, so gotta get in my two cents worth! LOL

Last edited by TexasReb; 01-23-2009 at 07:11 PM..

Old 01-23-2009, 08:04 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,325,114 times
Texas is a southwestern state, not a southern state. We have influences from Mexico and further south that the southern states do not have. We were also once our own country- and that spirit of uniqueness lives on. We are private, but also caring of our community. We don't like show offs or braggarts, that might account for some of the antagonism toward some members of other states who have moved here lately. Anyway, Texans are welcoming and friendly for the most part.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Texas is a southwestern state, not a southern state. We have influences from Mexico and further south that the southern states do not have.
And I say Texas is a Southern state, not a Southwestern state. LOL

Not trying to be a smart-aleck...but by the same token of that we have some Mexican influences? Louisiana has a lot of French influences!

Leaving that one alone for a minute...when you say it is "Southwestern"...do you mean it is "Western South" (blends of South and western frontier) or "southern West" (as like NM or AZ...and dominated by Hispanic and Indian culture)? Southwest can mean different things...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin