Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:35 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,552 times

Advertisements

... and so do I! (especially the basement where they keep the bikes, though )

She's here over a weekend & a Mon & Tues. Any suggestions on getting there from Austin? Driving, train? What's a better day to go in regards to crowds & traffic? Sat, Sun, Mon, or Tues?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 12:06 PM

874 posts, read 2,893,081 times
Drive it. Here's a link to the directions page from the Alamo website: The Alamo visitor info
(http://www.thealamo.org/overview.html#a - broken link).

Traffic would be better Mon/Tues after rush hour. When is the visit? Most area schools have Spring Break the week of March 9, so there might be a few more crowds in the downtown area, but probably not at the Alamo itself. We took our classes on a field trip there last year in late March and it was not overly crowded.

I think only special people get to go to the basement.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the info, Buffy! You kick ass

My mom & sis are visiting March 6-11 (fri - wed). So I have to pick one of those days.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:17 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,679 times
Don't worry about traffic except on Fridays leaving SA. I commute down to SA everyday (and work 2 blocks from the Alamo) and the traffic is so much lighter than Austin...it's amazing how much 2 loops help.

You will have to pay for parking. All garages tend to be $8-10 for the entire day.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:23 PM

Awesome, thanks! I realize I'm probably on the wrong board with this, but what should we do other than the Alamo? I know there's a river walk....

Old 02-27-2009, 04:03 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,919,279 times
If you in a hurry to get there, I-35 is the most direct route, but if you want to take your time and see some beautiful scenery, you can take 290 West to 165 to 281 and 281 will take you right downtown. It's a very scenic drive.

Parking is a pain. Print out a detailed map of the downtown streets and you should be able to find one of those pay-to-park lots within a few blocks of the Alamo. The Riverwalk is right across the street from the Alamo. Take one of the tour boats and you'll get a nice little ride and learn some history.

Also right across from the Alamo is a vistor information center where you can pick up a free map of the downtown area.

Wear comfortable shoes!

Old 02-27-2009, 05:23 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
Take the mission trail and see the other missions (particularly if you like architecture, history, etc). Check out the Riverwalk, it is a short jaunt to the San Antonio Zoo and Witte Museum.

San Antonio Missions National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)

San Antonio Zoo and Aquarium - Where you experience Real. Wild. Life.

Welcome To The Witte Museum

Welcome to the McNay

San Antonio is a lot of fun! And it is a quick drive.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:13 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
San Antonio Botanical Garden

Old 02-27-2009, 06:34 PM

426 posts, read 1,673,345 times
I grew up in SA and took many a trips to the Alamo. The best/easiest parking is the lot right next to the Crockett Hotel immediately behind (east) of the Alamo. This lot is almost always empty. From 37, Exit Commerce, turn right... take the right immediately after RiverCenter (Alamo Plaza), take the first right that kinda drives you behind the Alamo (Blum/Crockett), veer to the left at the water fountain - turns into Bonham. The lot is on the right... (Just a suggestion but it's tough to get to if no one tells you directions).

As for going, San Antonio spring break is the week after Austin this year (for most of the schools). The weekdays are nice for going, but you could run into large groups of school children on their field trips. That could be good or bad - you could always tag along behind the groups and listen to their tours.

Easiest, most central access point to the Riverwalk is through the Hyatt hotel directly across the street from Alamo Plaza. Go down the stairs, through the lower hotel "lobby" (not a main lobby) and there are doors to access the Riverwalk right past the elevator.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:25 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,368,809 times
Keep in mind that the Alamo closes daily at 5 pm. So make that your priority. Like another poster said--not sure if you can get into the basement of the Alamo. If you are there at night time--there is a skinny older guard who guards the Alamo. If you speak to him, ask him about the rumored hauntings of the Alamo. Very interesting.

Visit the Menger hotel beside the Alamo--rumored to be haunted. It's a beautiful hotel.

The Riverwalk--stroll along the riverwalk--eat lunch at Boudros--can be pricey but you can do a lunch there. If you like guacamole--they make the best guac at tableside--YUMMY! They also have fantastic prickly pear margaritas! You can do a riverwalk cruise--learning the history of the Riverwalk and the buildings around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin