Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:20 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

Yes most people will have a job lined up before they move. That is usually how it always works. Most people don't move to a new city without a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 01:52 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
well put cut. The unemployment rate will be 25% for relocatees, and 6-7% for everyone else (roughly). Local service/hospitality/landlords will benefit, but not any sector tied to the national economy. I agree that people need a job/spare cash before moving or they will need to be staying with friends/family.
Let's put it this way....those already situated in Austin, especially those working for state, city, and U of Texas, will be fine.....that accounts for a large chunk of workers.....there ARE hiring freezes across the board for the same, but sounds like those working NOW, and their pensions are quite safe for now.....there could be some job cuts in the public sector itself if times and coffers get tighter.....

Those in Tech have it worst....tech was trending down already, before this year......now it is quite bad locally, and, unfortunately, the higher incomes in Austin are largely in the tech sector.....other private sectors in Austin such as real estate, contruction, advertising, auto sales, high-end retail and dining, law..... even some medicine, such as dentistry, are going to be hit hard this year and much of next.....

Retail will slow......commercial real estate has halved from last year, so there will be little job growth in retail....and the retail/service jobs will
be struggling, as pockets tighten.....Austin IS blessed with many affordable eateries, and that is a godsend for those who still want to enjoy a nice night out for a decent price....that's why they are still doing well, and should continue to do so...

Relocatees will have a VERY hard time finding a job in most any field in Austin this year and much of next......hiring is largely frozen in place in all public and private sectors.......not to say it is impossible to land something, but it will take extreme legwork, very possibly more than it would take to find something in the city the relocatees are running from, as they at least have friends, family, and a social network in place there..........

Last edited by inthecut; 03-24-2009 at 02:01 PM..

Old 03-24-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
true. Good point Trainwreck.
I think that more the case for tech or medical........the mere fact that the unemployment rate has risen from 4.7 to 6.4 in the past year states that many people ARE coming here without jobs lined up.....either that, or that 1.7 jump was entirely experienced by locals.........Just as a quick read, it seems like most relocatees that post on here are hoping to find something here, and coming with nest eggs....

Good fodder for a future post....

Old 03-24-2009, 01:59 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Just as a quick read, it seems like most relocatees that post on here are hoping to find something here, and coming with nest eggs....
It may seem like people asking about Austin on these boards talk about just moving with some money saved. However, it seems that most people that actually moved here (at least that post on this board) have at least one member of the household with something lined up when they get here.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:06 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
It may seem like people asking about Austin on these boards talk about just moving with some money saved. However, it seems that most people that actually moved here (at least that post on this board) have at least one member of the household with something lined up when they get here.
I'm just one example, but both my wife and I moved here 3 years ago without any jobs lined up. We both found jobs within 2 months at a 40% pay cut from what we were making in California as we expected. If we had unrealistically tried to hold out for more money, it would have taken us much longer. After 3 years of hard work, we are just about back up to what we were making in California. Of course it will be more difficult today than it was 3 years ago, but it can be done.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:06 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
On the flip side, I have a co-worker whose husband was laid off from a hi-tech company. He is actually most likely to find work in CA (has to do with his expertise); anyway, if he gets a good job out there, then they will probably move (again, it all comes down to their particular economics). We will then have to find a replacement for her...one more job opening in Austin because someone got laid off....it is all so tangled .

Old 03-24-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
In that case, presuming they relied on two incomes in the past, that's still a chance to take.....unless one was a homemaker of course......

Again, I'll set up a post laster tonight for that, and it should be interesting getting back info from relo folks on the same...

Old 03-24-2009, 02:18 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Of course, the people that do already have jobs lined up are less likely to be hunting around C-D for job info

Old 03-24-2009, 02:19 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
It comes down to personality. If you're daring and spontaneous, you'll pack up and move with lots of hope and no plans. If you're like me, you won't move without selling your house, lots of savings and a job. Neither is right- it comes down to what works for you.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:33 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Relocatees have two sets of circumstances:

1. Decide to move to Austin - then find a job
2. Find a job in Austin - then decide to move.

More people fall into the first category from what I've experienced (talking from personal experience, and not from this forum). It's dyslexic thinking if you ask me. I was offered a job here, but had thought about moving beforehand, so I jumped at the chance. I could have just as easily been in that first group, but waited for my window instead.

one last point, even if 3 out of 4 people moving here have jobs lined up, that's still 25% unemployment for relocatees..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin