Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 01:23 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,038,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
What exactly is your agenda here? Why are you repeating yourself over and over again? I think you've made your point several times over now that you are gravely concerned that vast numbers of 'outsiders' are showing up and stealing the few jobs that you believe Austin has left. Futhermore, you've insinuated several times now that anyone moving here is 'economically displaced' from whatever location they are moving from. That's ... a little presumptuous of you.

If you are truly so fearful for Austin's future, my gentle suggestion is to become more involved in Austin's future then simply fearmongering on an internet forum.

As of the moment, I can't say but a small handful of folks on here have attempted to answer such issues, which is why I keep bringing them up.....as you know, times are VERY tough all over, hence your move from California for better opportunities.......nothing wrong at all in discussiing such crucial issues, so crucial that people are baling out enmasse from economically struggling states across the nation.......

I still maintain that running away from our respective states is no ULTIMATE solution to the problem....and until it is dealt with on a national basis, we will ALL suffer though this......with no magical refuge anywhere...

Frankly no one wants to hear it......the national solution to the economic problem, rather than dealing with the outsourcing and offshoring and financial fraud that caused the same, is just to encourage people to move away from their troubled states....to whatever the "du jour" refuge state is......now it's Texas..tomorrow it could be somewhere else........

The general line i read here is "I used to live in this awful, economically depressed state, moved to Texas, and now everythings great!"......

Is our country in such screwed up shape that we have no choice but to "run away"? And that evidentally from a lot of places, namely California, Nevada, Oregon, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio, etc..........is our nation as a whole in "put a fork in it, it's done" stage?

Last edited by inthecut; 03-27-2009 at 01:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 01:34 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,022,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
As of the moment, I can't say but a small handful of folks on here have attempted to answer such issues, which is why I keep bringing them up.....as you know, times are VERY tough all over, hence your move from California for better opportunities.......nothing wrong at all in discussiing such crucial issues, so crucial that people are baling out enmasse from economically struggling states across the nation.......

I still maintain that running away from our respective states is no ULTIMATE solution to the problem....and until it is dealt with on a national basis, we will ALL suffer though this......with no magical refuge anywhere...

Frankly no one wants to hear it......the national solution to the economic problem, rather than dealing with the outsourcing and offshoring and financial fraud that caused the same, is just to encourage people to move away from their troubled states....to whatever the "du jour" refuge state is......now it's Texas..tomorrow it could be somewhere else........

The general line i read here is "I used to live in this awful, economically depressed state, moved to Texas, and now everythings great!"......

Is our country in such screwed up shape that we have no choice but to run away from it? And that evidentally from a lot of places, namely California, Nevada, Oregon,
Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio, etc..........is our nation as a whole is "put a fork in it, it's done" stage?
"that's it, I'm moving to Canada"

Old 03-27-2009, 01:44 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,038,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
"that's it, I'm moving to Canada"
Make sure you have a passport!

Old 03-27-2009, 01:52 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post

Is our country in such screwed up shape that we have no choice but to "run away"? And that evidentally from a lot of places, namely California, Nevada, Oregon, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio, etc..........is our nation as a whole in "put a fork in it, it's done" stage?
I don't believe that you have addressed any one issue that has a clearcut answer. Perhaps the lack of a definitive reply is why you continue to start thread after thread more or less asking the same question? What I see are no questions being asked, but you merely repeating the same thoughts over and over again.

You go on to presumptively (there's that word once again) assume that I relocated to Texas for a better opportunity. Why would you do that? You know no more about my own personal situation than I do yours. Your assumptions of why people have moved here is feeding your own hysteria.

For the record, I relocated here with my husband, whom is a native Austinite, who was sent by his company to California for a longterm assignment. We met & married over the course of that assignment and when it ended, I came back with him. For every assumption you've made of families packing up and moving to Austin like The Joad Family from Grapes of Wrath, there's bound to be an almost-equal number of stories of relocation just like mine.

My point to all of this is that you've flooded this forum with your hysteria over this issue but instead of sticking with facts, figures, and actual data you've relied on a lot of hyperbole to get your still-questionable ideas across.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:41 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,756 times
And let's not forget that people are also LEAVING Texas and going elsewhere, because I know people are also still moving to Phoenix like crazy even though we're one of the hardest hit places.

People are relocating all over the place; they're not just moving to Texas.

That being said, the warmer climate states are generally going to have more people relocating than the cold climate states, no matter what the economic climate looks like.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
people are also still moving to Phoenix like crazy even though we're one of the hardest hit places.
as Lumberg would say: "rrriiiiiiight"

They are most likely moving there to replace the people that left.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:59 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Actually, when my husband was working in his company's California office he met a good number of former Texans who had moved to the SF Bay Area when the company presented them opportunity to do so. He became quite popular as the resident welcome wagon for his fellow Texans who had become California n00bs.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:07 PM

428 posts, read 1,065,469 times
I'm certainly convinced now. No one should move again until milk and honey rain from the sky.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
as Lumberg would say: "rrriiiiiiight"

They are most likely moving there to replace the people that left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
people are also still moving to Phoenix like crazy even though we're one of the hardest hit places
Phoenix may be losing people

this is one of many articles I have found that claim the 2010 census will show pop. decline in metro Phoenix

Old 03-27-2009, 03:24 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,756 times
Quote:
Phoenix may be losing people

this is one of many articles I have found that claim the 2010 census will show pop. decline in metro Phoenix
That wouldn't surprise me, to be honest, but I can tell you that people are still relocating here constantly.

I work in the real estate industry and I am seeing lots of people from out of state buying homes and they're coming from all over. Just this month, I've seen homes close where the people are moving from Ohio, Virginia, Michigan, Minnesota, Oregon and Idaho, just with our little team of 3 buyer's agents.

Of course, that doesn't mean that even more people aren't leaving and the population may decrease, but at least in the area I'm in, I still see them coming like crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: