Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:32 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,038,319 times

Advertisements

Hi relocatees!

We have chatted on several posts about this topic, and I thought it merited its own thread.........The consensus is that most of the current crop of relocatees are coming to Austin with a job waiting for them....I personally disagree.....I think up to even last year, most relos came here simply for a change of lifestyle or transfer, and not for financial hardship. That being so, I feel that that has changed......Times are SO tough is SO many regions of the US, that I feel the majority of relos are NOW coming here for sheer economic nessessity, and have no job vouchsafed and waiting for them.......
So, have things changed? Are the majority of folks running away from poor regional economies now, and willing to take a chance with no job waiting for them?

Thank you for your comments, and good luck moving to Austin to all of you!

Last edited by inthecut; 03-25-2009 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 04:38 PM

322 posts, read 903,422 times
coming either way, not to say we aren't earnestly looking for jobs. For us, it is not an economic necessity - it is a psychological necessity. I can't stand another winter in Alaska, no matter how much money is involved.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:53 PM

34 posts, read 111,270 times
same here, coming either way.

i am the bread-winner and my job will transfer (60/40 split between work from home & travel), my wife was recently laid off due to massive job cuts here in the mid-west. as i said before in previous posts she is a LEED certified professional and regardless of austin's 6.4% (ours is double here btw) unemployment rate she will continue her career in austin (sooner or later)....not concerned.

however just as the previous poster mentioned, this is not a simple economical decision (moving to Austin). our move is born out of psychological, health, environment, culture, political and attitude necessity. believe me, if the move was strictly about cash....Austin would not be the 1st place we would move. other big cities pay more...we already know that.

we are choosing to make central Austin our home because it is the right place for us to be.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:14 PM

322 posts, read 903,422 times
I will say that long-term Austin is more economically feasible than Alaska. However, given the current economy, it would make more sense to stay here one more year doing what we do or to have already moved last year like I wanted. However, health trumps being economically sensible IMO and the long, dark winters in Alaska take such a toll on me that I'm miserable here. As for why Austin? I have family there and it is at least "as smart" as most other places I'd pick.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:22 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,062,834 times
My husband secured a job here before we moved.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:42 PM

428 posts, read 1,065,469 times
I'm a professional writer, I can work anywhere there's electricity and internet access. In fact, my publishers might not even notice I've moved except they'll have to mail the checks to a new address.

We're not relocating due to the economy (although that did catalyze the desire to get a change of scenery), but simply because we're tired of living in the desert and feel drawn to the Austin/San An area.

Our life has changed a lot over the last year with the birth of our son, which changed our priorities as well. We'd prefer he have a yard to play in ready to give him grass stained knees, instead of gravel covered postage stamp prepared to inflict 3rd degree burns.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:49 PM

98 posts, read 295,307 times
I am moving for two reasons, economy and to be closer to family. I will have a job before we move. But, my husband most likely will not. We can live on one salary, so we are not really worried.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:06 PM

76 posts, read 146,925 times
I am trying to get a job before I move (if I do), but if I can't get one in the next few months I just may have to move with out one. That will suck, but so be it.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:08 PM

6 posts, read 17,856 times
I won't move until I have a job. I can't see myself making such a big move with no job lined up. I am not in a dire rush but my family and I are planning to get out of CA within the next year or so. I am trying my best to educate myself and all the pros and cons of moving.

I will be in Austin this May with my husband and our 2 little boys checking things out.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:19 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,061,638 times
Quote:
I will be in Austin this May with my husband and our 2 little boys checking things out.
One suggestion, just based on seeing a lot of people do what you are describing. If you have grandma, or a niece or uncle, etc. who can come with you and provide relief from the kids now and then while you do some serious scouting and driving around, you'll be glad you did.

I see a lot of people on scouting trips trying to bring the kids along on excursions, trying to make a vacation of it too. After a few days, it can get really, really tiresome for everybody and the plans start changing. "We're going to have to cancel today. We're wiped out after yesterday".

If you want to make a quick and dirty, hard core scouting trip of it, come without the kids and arrive on a Thursday afternoon, leave Sunday, and you can pack a lot in. A lot.

Next best option is bringing childcare with you. Third best is make short half day outings, or just one adult go and the other hang back with the kids and do fun things.

Good luck. You'll love Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: