Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 12:29 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runemaster View Post
Do you always let others craft your opinions for you? Read the book yourself, then make an informed decision. He's not a "religious lawyer" he's an attorney who set out to disprove God... just like the OP... Snark minus education = you looking a little silly.
When a book is described as: "...an attorney's reasoning to scrutinize the scientists' logic in defining the theory of evolution...", yes, I do let others give me a rundown of the goods. It saves me a lot of time...time that I am able to spend on things that really matter.

As for this particular book, I couldn't care less about what some pseudoscience spewing "born-again" Christian lawyer has to say about anything, let alone real scientific topics. When a real respected scientist characterizes the book as: "teaching little that is accurate about either the nature of science, or the topic of evolution. It is recommended neither by scientists nor educators." ...and time is at a premium in this hectic world of ours, yes, I'm going to defer to those whose life's work is to educate themselves on such topics. Not some retired intellectually dishonest lawyer who's out to push his "born again" religious agenda on this country's most important institutions.

And I'll look as silly as I want thankyouverymuch.

Last edited by thesonofgray; 12-26-2009 at 12:46 PM..

Old 12-26-2009, 12:43 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
I didn't think it was necessary to state the obvious.
Sometimes stating the obvious is necessary to bring clarity to the ambiguously ridiculous.

Let's put it this way: "I'm a law-abiding citizen. Except when I rob a bank. I follow society's laws except when it applies to robbing banks."

Same difference.

By the way, I searched through Austin's page on this very site and found this:

Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 46.17% ...with nearly half of those reporting to be Catholic, and Baptist coming in at 2nd. Oh those crazy Catholics. (Mom's side of the family is hard-core Catholic, so I am allowed to say that...in a good way, of course.)

I grew up going to a local Methodist church in Houston, and I was always told by various people that Baptists were mostly rich white people and Methodists were more "laid back", slightly more diverse, and less dogmatic about Christianity...and less rich, of course. Is that a somewhat fair stereotype? Just curious...

Last edited by thesonofgray; 12-26-2009 at 01:13 PM..

Old 12-26-2009, 05:15 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,589 times
I'd hit Plano/Frisco/McKinney areas in Dallas.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:10 AM

809 posts, read 1,862,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker_49 View Post
I am interested in making a film documentary disproving God and for that I would like to travel to Austin. What is the most popular religion there? Is there a big variety?
To disprove God is to disprove your own existence.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:05 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
To disprove God is to disprove your own existence.

Just when you think we have stopped this spammer thread, someone posts absolute nonsense.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:46 AM

809 posts, read 1,862,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Just when you think we have stopped this spammer thread, someone posts absolute nonsense.
the body cannot live without the mind - Morpheus (the Matrix)

the soul cannot live with God - God (the Bible)

you can try it. jab yourself in the heart with an ice poker and let's see if you can live without that heartpump for oh about 5 minutes after you bleed out. if you can, then I wil believe that YOU are God and the other God of the Bible is a spook. Because the God of the Bible jumpstarted your heart. you didn't do it yourself, neither did your mom who gave birth to you.

are you ready to prove me?

Old 12-30-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
the body cannot live without the mind - Morpheus (the Matrix)

the soul cannot live with God - God (the Bible)

you can try it. jab yourself in the heart with an ice poker and let's see if you can live without that heartpump for oh about 5 minutes after you bleed out. if you can, then I wil believe that YOU are God and the other God of the Bible is a spook. Because the God of the Bible jumpstarted your heart. you didn't do it yourself, neither did your mom who gave birth to you.

are you ready to prove me?

Typical theist response. So, the only way to prove that god exists is to stab yourself in the heart? Leaving me with only 2 choices, don't stab myself in which you say I don't have the courage of my convictions. Or stab myself and die, thereby "proving" you right? Didn't your kind have a similar test in Salem, in the 1600's? If she drowned she proved she was a christian, if she floated, you killed her as a witch? Either way, not so great for her. Guess you Christians get the upper hand in both of your little "tests"?

I guess it scares me that theists still have this opinion of everyone that doesn't believe in god. From 1692 to 2009, christians still have the same "solution" to everyone that doesn't agree with them. And Christians wonder why everyone dislikes them so much. You Christians usually hide this opinion in public, but I guess when protected by the anonymity of the internet, OneJackson is showing his true Christians colors. Join or die.

Good example OneJackson. I am sure all the other christians on this board are just oh so happy you have made them look so good.

On the other hand, I could tell OneJackson that Zeus started his brain thinking, and that if he shoots himself in the head, and survives, then I will stop believing in Zeus. But if he doesn't live, then Zeus must exist. It's the same argument, just using a different imaginary god. But hey, if that logic is all OneJackson needs, then I'll loan him my gun.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:20 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
With all due respect, Jay ... remember the conversation that you and I had yesterday about tolerance? You aren't showing very much right now. Your generalization that Christians are "disliked by everyone" is a good example.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
With all due respect, Jay ... remember the conversation that you and I had yesterday about tolerance? You aren't showing very much right now. Your generalization that Christians are "disliked by everyone" is a good example.
Once again though, I am treating a poster with the same amount of tolerance that he is treating others. I don't feel inclined to be nice and respectful to a christian who is telling me to kill myself. I notice you don't wag your finger at OneJackson for suggesting this? Which is worse, being impolite on the internet, or telling people that logically they must kill themselves or agree with your point?

It's interesting that the one thing that stuck out to you in the whole conversation is that I said christians are "disliked by everyone". Well, let me rephrase. Christians like OneJackson who are illogical and hateful are disliked by everyone. Does that make you feel better? I wouldn't want you to think someone is being intolerant towards christians, regardless of how intolerant that christian is.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:54 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Jay, he simply posted his own opinion of God. He wasn't asking you to tolerate anything. YOU then replied that his opinion was "absolute nonsense". This is what I'm referring to. Who was the hateful one in that exchange?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: