Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 07:07 PM

282 posts, read 526,319 times

Advertisements

lol sorry I just have to laugh at some of these responses from such a simple question...if ya don't know the answer then don't respond geeeeesh. I swear I think some people are so bored that they come on city data JUST TO start arguments with people. I am sorry OP I wish I knew the area so I could tell you. The same type of thing happened to me when I posted a question in the Idaho forum.

BTW~~~"(& aren't some drug dealers pretty well off? Would they want their children to attend an exemplary school?)" Hound, I think your idea of upscale and the OP'S idea of upscale is waaaay different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 07:13 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
lol sorry I just have to laugh at some of these responses from such a simple question...if ya don't know the answer then don't respond geeeeesh. I swear I think some people are so bored that they come on city data JUST TO start arguments with people. I am sorry OP I wish I knew the area so I could tell you. The same type of thing happened to me when I posted a question in the Idaho forum.

BTW~~~"(& aren't some drug dealers pretty well off? Would they want their children to attend an exemplary school?)" Hound, I think your idea of upscale and the OP'S idea of upscale is waaaay different.
Well, I'd think it would depend on where on the drug dealer food chain said drug dealers were. As I understand it, those at the very top of said food chain would think that Senna Hills and its schools weren't good enough for them and their offspring.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:19 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
I live in central Austin, I purchased my home for less than 400K and I can throw a rock and hit low income, federally subsidized housing, go to zip skinny and look at 78704, you will find a completely different income profile than 78731 (NW Hills) or even 78757 (Allandale) much less 78746. I serve meals on wheels in this zip and volunteer in the schools, ride the bus, and shop for groceries in this zip and I can testify to real poverty here.

BUT I can also tell you of moments of kindness and grace from folks whose annual income is far below mine, of gestures of hospitality and humanity that cross language barriers, moments of solidarity that warm my heart with just the memory. I would not live in an area with a uniform income level if my life depended on it, in fact, I think that my life depends on seeing other people as people, not income levels. I talk to homeless people about their dogs, water the porch plants of folks in low income housing, and ride the bus just for the encounters. I feed feral cats with a group of people that includes folks in true mansions and city employees who live in old duplexes.

I have resources and skills to offer others, and my neighbors rich and poor enrich me with their thoughtfulness and kindness and specific support everyday.

OP, sorry for the snark but I wish you would chosen your words more carefully:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd View Post
is [it] a great neigborhood or can just anyone live there? Is it mainly higher end homes or is it mixed with condos and townhomes and lower priced homes? I am just trying to get an idea of what type of area it is.
shoot! that just burns me up! Mainly because in Austin Texas at your price range and your preferred school you don't have a real worry in the world! Well, maybe getting run over by power moms in their Escalades who are texting while taking their kids to school. Latchkey kids with too much money and not enough supervision can be trouble too. The web is full of tools (tax records, crime maps, school rankings, google maps street view, zillow, zipskinny, US census bureau) for you to get the information that you desire! You might get it here but not by suggesting that town homes, condos, and lower priced homes make an area undesirable or a threat to your safety or your real estate values!

Bah!

Old 02-15-2010, 07:28 PM
sjd sjd started this thread

57 posts, read 217,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Mainly because in Austin Texas at your price range and your preferred school you don't have a real worry in the world! Well, maybe getting run over by power moms in their Escalades who are texting while taking their kids to school. Latchkey kids with too much money and not enough supervision can be trouble too. The web is full of tools (tax records, crime maps, school rankings, google maps street view, zillow, zipskinny, US census bureau) for you to get the information that you desire!
Well, please don't suggest I don't work my butt off for the money I do have. And don't say that people who do have money have no real worries. That just tells me that you have never had money.

And, I do go to all those sites and get info, but none of those sites can tell me what I want to know like a person who lives and breathes life in the area I am interested in. And Just like Jennibc, I have lived poverty where I had no food to eat and no clothes to wear and I will never put my family through what I went through. I will do everything in my power to put my family in an area where they feel safe and have a high quality of life, because I never had that growing up. And I want to give them everything I never had, INCLUDING SUPERVISION!!

Old 02-15-2010, 07:33 PM

Here: never let it be said that I am not helpful!

//www.city-data.com/zips/78733.html

Our own zip code information from city data! It will tell you that in 2008 the median household income for 78733 was $123,000, compared to $50,000 for the state as a whole. Only 2.4 percent of all residents of this zip code have incomes below the poverty line. Compared to 15% of the state as a whole.

You asked about housing units,
Housing units in structures:
One, detached: 2,836
One, attached: 38
Two: 37
3 or 4: 10
10 to 19: 11
Mobile homes: 113

Read more: //www.city-data.com/zips/78733.html#ixzz0ff7aS2dL

Old 02-15-2010, 07:34 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
And the great American dream of equality of opportunity and the inherent value of all people regardless of their income level dies without a whimper!

This is why I could never live in a master-planned community, the forced insistence to live in a community created only through income-level gives me the shivers
Bah yourownself! Avery Ranch is a 'master planned community' that has homes ranging from a buck fifty up to $800k. Hardly lends itself to a single income level.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:37 PM

Oh please, safety and a high quality of life come from the quality of ones relationships and ties in the community, not the income level of the neighbors.

I hope you find what you are looking for, I also hope that it is what you really want.

peace!

ca

Stats for Avery Ranch 78717 can be found here!
//www.city-data.com/zips/78717.html

Old 02-15-2010, 07:39 PM
sjd sjd started this thread

57 posts, read 217,341 times
Central---Please go try to start an argument somewhere else. I am trying to get actual, useful information here. Thanks.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:02 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I don't know anything about Senna Hills, and I ain't here to start anything, but my neighborhood (middle classed, homes from 130s to 300s, not 'upscale') has low crime, recognized schools, and an overall great quality of life. Income level doesn't determine that you will not live side by side with not so desirable neighbors. It also doesn't guarantee low crime. Trust me, if people are going to break into cars, they pick the upscale neighborhoods because the pickings are good there. I know I sure would! According to local RR crime stats, for example, many of the upscale subdivisions had quite a large number of thefts, simply because they are more upscale and are not gated. I'm not going to delude you, property/car theft happens everywhere, my neighborhood included. But I would be remissed to let you think that moving into a neighborhood that is upscale is going to solve your problems. In NYC, where I came from, there really was no such thing as income segregation - just down the street from the swank condo development was a housing project.

Instead of looking at internet income stats, pick a neighborhood that you really seem to like and interview the people who live there. Ask the RE agents, that sort of thing. A stat can say, average income 110K but then you can find yourself right next to a radio blaring, uncouth neighbor who just happens to make that much money. And drug dealers, at least the ones who try to blend in with society, can live right next door too. Street level ones live in the hood. The distributors and the like tend to own big nice houses

Old 02-15-2010, 08:51 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
To answer the actual question, Senna Hills is a very nice, upper middle class community. There are many pre-owned homes for sale as well as brand new homes. It's in Eanes ISD which is the highest rated district in the area, and continuously appears on the state's top list of schools too.

If you want true, up to date stats on crime, call the local police station and don't rely on website info that could be outdated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin