Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 04:51 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Plus, what if we get in another drought? Original Schlitterbahn has the Comal river, where is the RR/CP one going to get its water? The same place we get our drinking water?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runemaster View Post
That's a good question. Any idea how many gallons a place like that uses a day? I know a lot of it is recycled, but I bet the number that evaporates is astronomical...
I wonder how much water it will use in comparison to homes if they used that land to put up a typical development instead. I have NO idea, I'm just wondering...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 07:56 PM

302 posts, read 690,645 times
I personally think it's a great idea. Same as I think a bike boulevard is a great idea.

It's the old malaise: NIMBY.

NIMBY or Nimby is an acronym for not in my back yard. The term (or the derivative Nimbyism) is used pejoratively to describe opposition by residents to a proposal for a new development close to them. Opposing residents themselves are sometimes called Nimbies. The new project being opposed is generally considered a benefit for many but has negative side-effects on many local residents who want it to be located elsewhere.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:07 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Um...yuck? All that water recirculating......

Old 02-22-2010, 08:09 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERiv View Post
I personally think it's a great idea. Same as I think a bike boulevard is a great idea.

It's the old malaise: NIMBY.

NIMBY or Nimby is an acronym for not in my back yard. The term (or the derivative Nimbyism) is used pejoratively to describe opposition by residents to a proposal for a new development close to them. Opposing residents themselves are sometimes called Nimbies. The new project being opposed is generally considered a benefit for many but has negative side-effects on many local residents who want it to be located elsewhere.
Or, they think it's a bad idea period.

In this case, however, it appears that Cedar Park has arranged for it to be not in THEIR back yard but in Round Rock's, while claiming credit for getting it in Cedar Park. At least, that's what people are seeing based on the location and the spin.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:50 AM

938 posts, read 1,230,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Um...yuck? All that water recirculating......
Pumps, filters, cholrine, problem solved. the water you drink is worse.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:58 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
That's not right. Did they call the company and let them know or was the company on the "right of way"?

I remember when a tree was cut down and there was nothing I could do about it because it was so many feet from the road and company property.

Before that I never understood that the property line to the home really didn't start at the road. I have since learned.

Well, either way they should restore it back to the way it was before. You know...spray some grass on it. Ok, just kidding. It just cracks me up though when they come through with the sprayer and spray grass on the ground.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:21 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
I wonder how much water it will use in comparison to homes if they used that land to put up a typical development instead. I have NO idea, I'm just wondering...
The propoganda website from Schlitterbahn indicated that they will use FAR LESS water than if the land had been developed for single family homes.

& as far as yards being torn up for pipes etc.....all lots have utility easements & this could happen at any time (for any & all type of development).

i know i'm starting to sound like a Schlitterbahn hack....but i think the only "concern" that has been raised that will be an issue, is the traffic & mobility challenges east of the park (on 1431) on Sat. & Sunday afternoons from May - Sept. (or on holiday weekends).

Old 02-23-2010, 10:31 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,875 times
Not only is it a victory for Cedar Park, but it's a victory for sprawl and oil-dependence. The losers will be Round Rock, and the environment.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:47 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Oil dependence?

Sprawl?

It will be located in an area that's ALREADY significantly developed. (no additional "sprawl")

& i'm not sure how oil dependence is increased. Fewer folks driving down to NB from Austin would mean LESS oil consumption. (& a water park uses LESS energy than 1000 track homes built in a track development).

Old 02-23-2010, 11:22 AM

629 posts, read 1,653,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
Pumps, filters, cholrine, problem solved. the water you drink is worse.
It's all potable so the difference is moot. But, you don't have people swimming in your treated drinking water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
That's not right. Did they call the company and let them know or was the company on the "right of way"?

I remember when a tree was cut down and there was nothing I could do about it because it was so many feet from the road and company property.

Before that I never understood that the property line to the home really didn't start at the road. I have since learned.

Well, either way they should restore it back to the way it was before. You know...spray some grass on it. Ok, just kidding. It just cracks me up though when they come through with the sprayer and spray grass on the ground.
Most people don't realize that you don't own or control the first 10 to 20 feet of your roadside property. There are utilities there, so the municipal and utility entities in that area have unfettered access to their ROW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Oil dependence?

Sprawl?

It will be located in an area that's ALREADY significantly developed. (no additional "sprawl")

& i'm not sure how oil dependence is increased. Fewer folks driving down to NB from Austin would mean LESS oil consumption. (& a water park uses LESS energy than 1000 track homes built in a track development).
You really don't think a theme park will increase development in the area?

Yes, there will be additional "sprawl" due to this theme park. There's no arguing that, no matter your opinion on sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin