Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 AM

29 posts, read 111,604 times

Advertisements

Hello Austin residents

I was planning on taking a trip down to Austin this weekend with my bestfriend. For no reason...just to go bar hopping and a good time. Then realized that hotels were 300+ a night....to finally come to the conclusion that SXSW is this weekend. My question? We are only going to be there on Sat/Sun and we're ok to pay for the hotel on 6th st. However I noticed that 6th st is blocked off due to SXSW so does that mean that you can only go to the bars if you have a SXSW badge? If so can we get individual badges? I tried looking it up but its all so confusing!!! Please help with this madness...we just want a simple weekend with drinks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 12:09 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times
Nah, you won't need any of that. Just tell the Austin cops that you plan to get drunk and stoned on 6th street and they will be happy to let you through. SXSW is basically a large affair that glorifies Austin's main claim to fames! Drinking, smoking, and listening to live music. Outside of those things, you and high and dry my friend!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsconfused View Post
Hello Austin residents

I was planning on taking a trip down to Austin this weekend with my bestfriend. For no reason...just to go bar hopping and a good time. Then realized that hotels were 300+ a night....to finally come to the conclusion that SXSW is this weekend. My question? We are only going to be there on Sat/Sun and we're ok to pay for the hotel on 6th st. However I noticed that 6th st is blocked off due to SXSW so does that mean that you can only go to the bars if you have a SXSW badge? If so can we get individual badges? I tried looking it up but its all so confusing!!! Please help with this madness...we just want a simple weekend with drinks

Old 03-17-2010, 01:17 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
No need for SXSW badges/wristbands, there will be plenty of "side" music and parties that let you in. No club wants to miss out on the SXSW traffic, so if they aren't official, they are open anyway with plenty of free stuff to attract those folks without wristbands. You'll have no problem!

Check out some of the links on this thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ts-2010-a.html

Old 03-17-2010, 01:33 PM

246 posts, read 858,059 times
And even if there is an official show, you can still get in (most of the time) by paying a $10-$15 cover.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:22 PM

Awesome! Are most of the bars on 6th " offical" or just side bars?

Old 03-17-2010, 07:12 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,265,478 times
There are a large number of "free" shows on 6th and 4th, esp tonight (St Patricks). I don't think you will have a problem finding a fair number of places you can get into. Have fun with parking, most places seem to be charging around $10 and watch out for all the drunken St Patties revelers, there seem to be a lot more of them this year.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:20 PM

There will only be a handful of places where you truly can't get in (because they are the "hot" showcases)... some bars will have a showcase one night, but not the next.

Don't forget the free shows at Auditorium shores each night. Cheap Trick is playing Friday.

You should also venture down to S. Lamar or S. Congress at some point during your trip -- there will be lots going on there too, and the restaurants and coffee shops are plentiful.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:09 PM

We will just park at our hotel and walk over. We're staying on 4th st...I got a free night with my rewards so saved 398 a night. So i guess paying 10-15 bucks to get in somewhere will be more than fine. Thank you guys for your help. There's an app for the festival too...How cool!

We will mainly be there Saturday night if anyone has any suggestions on where to go let me know! Other wise we will be walking down 6th seeing where we can get in.

Thanks Austin! See you soon

Old 03-18-2010, 12:54 PM

680 posts, read 1,384,129 times
I suggest walking Red River St., as there will be some free shows. However, a few of the venues there are outdoors and the weather is going to be mighty brisk with the wind chill. Friday night will be a lot more conducive to casual wanderings.

It's easy to listen to the music coming out of clubs you cannot get into. I've done that on many occasions because I'm broke. I'll just wander the streets, stop and watch/listen from outside, then move on. There will be a lot of interesting side-shows along Sixth, good people-watching and fun surprises.

For a less hectic pace, head to the west side of Congress Ave. along 4th, 5th, and 6th. Venues are more scattered but chaos less likely in case you need a break. Once you get into town, you'll be pretty overwhelmed so just go with your gut if all else fails. You could end up wasting your trip trying to figure out where to go. Kind of like going to a restaurant with a menu the size of War and Peace.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:12 PM

Wow, $398 a night. That's Manhattan prices, or a very very nice room. It's amazing you could get it for points... I'd personally consider that a thrill (I love saving money).

You can use the money for pedicab rides, the "drivers" will typically know what good clubs/shows to go to are. They aren't like the regular cab drivers.

Let us know how it goes, so you can pass the tips on for the next SXSW non-badge holder who might be reading this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin