Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:44 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,269,293 times

Advertisements

Yes I completely agree. And I don't know who calls the city of Austin "progressive"!! Progressive as compared to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Cap Metro also used steel railroad ties (instead of wood) for much of the line which is known to interfere with electronic signals. There is some speculation that this was the reason the crossing arms were malfunctioning, hence the ridiculous delay in getting the thing up and running. These are also significantly more expensive than wooden ones. In this case CM spent 4.5 million on them and then sold leftovers to another company, resulting in a 400K loss.

Cap Metro's steel rail ties cause problems

I'm a PT enthusiast but this Redline thing bums me out. Cap metro is just a poorly run organization. They should concentrate on improving their limited bus service before dabbling in rail. That's why I am putting my hopes on the urban rail project that the city is putting together independent of Cap Metro. It will not be on the ballot this November because they want more time to get all the details right (as opposed to the 2000 plan, which was fatally rushed to the ballot prematurely). In particular, the best solution for crossing the river to the south without having to close one of the bridges.

I agree with the other poster about this being embarrassing for a city that calls itself "progressive".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 12:14 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,135,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfry View Post
i would love to see mass tran here in austin. the red line is ridiculous. it cost a fortune and it goes no where. they expect some stupid thing like "2000" riders/day. but they are counting the round trip to leander as two trips, so it really is at best 1,000 riders/day. then it doesn't run at night or weekends, so that takes away any hope of the far northwest folk using it to "party' in town! and you are right, it takes just as long as to travel by private vehicle............government at it's best
I voted against it, but I am hoping they are successful. It isnt that they are a bunch of idiots, but that they had a lot of constraints. Think of it more as a prototype.

1) The value of rail is like a park, it creates an improved quality of life for the types of people that it attracts. Like a park it does NOT pay for itself and not everyone will use it. Like a park it will attract the creative class type of people who are educated intellectuals.

2) It isnt running during nights and weekends because of the freight schedule. Not because they are too dumb to figure out that those would be great times to run the rail

3) It is running on the freight lines because voters would not approve the "real" plan. The cost, in the millions, seems high but is incredibly cheap for a rail system. How much is zilker park worth if we sold it, how much revenue does it generate directly and how much does it cost to maintain? Same with the golf course.

4) Because it is running on freight lines there were only two choices, down mopac or the line they did use. They could not get the mopac line because that one is so heavily used for freight. so yes the service areas are weird. I fully expect areas around the stations to grow though.

I will always vote against any rail system, but I do understand the value that it brings and the constraints that they were operating under. Im excited to see it and will definitely try it out.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:20 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,022,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Like a park it will attract the creative class type of people who are educated intellectuals.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:20 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,624,526 times
The line down Mopac is being looked at for the commuter rail between Austin and San Antonio

Lone Star Rail District | Home

Old 03-24-2010, 12:31 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,887,517 times
FWIW, it looks like the Red Death Machine had a pretty good second day yesterday: News 8 Austin | 24 Hour Local News | TOP STORIES

And who says you need riders for rail to generate revenue?
MetroRail Day 2: 42 drivers ticketed | KXAN.com

Old 03-24-2010, 01:47 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,704,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Well, in Hutto they are revamping the rails here and it's lookin goood.

Personally I love the trains and I don't care how they start out with the projects because it's better than what was being done with trains before....nothing. And I can guess the new water park is going to bring in people on the trains.

We need to go full blown transit system with trains and get rid of all the cars. It would be awesome if we could catch the rail here in Hutto to go downtown for the day. Really awesome!
I really wish they would.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:33 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,325,114 times
It's a waste of money- money we don't have. Watch for the bond package coming for the orange, pink, purple and blue line in an election coming soon.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:35 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,901,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
It was at first soundly defeated by Austin voters about 10 years ago if I remember correctly.
Sorry Steve, that is incorrect - it was not soundly defeated. The city of Austin actually voted for it by a VERY slim margin:

While a majority – 50.6% – of voters within the City of Austin actually voted in favor of Capital Metro's light rail plan on 7 November 2000, the proposal was defeated by an extremely slim margin of about 2000 votes within the service area as a whole. That apparently reflected opposition from some residents in outlying suburban areas, who may in general exhibit less support for mass transit than inner-city residents.

The quote was from the following site (posted back in 2001, shortly after the vote)but is pretty well documented on others:

Campaign continues for Austin light rail

Also, the 2000 plan was vastly different, the most important distinction being that it was light rail (electric, lower speed good for denser urban areas) while the new redline is commuter (diesel, faster, bigger tracks, better for traveling longer distances).

Cap Metro was desperate to get any sort of rail up and running, so they put this plan together cheaply (i.e. using existing tracks) even though it doesn't hit any major areas of need.

While very expensive, the 2000 plan would be 100% superior to what we have now.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:31 AM

29 posts, read 84,933 times
I recently rode this train, CapMetro Rail. The Stadler trainsets are wonderful. Using diesel light rail cars was a smart decision. The Stadlers are much, much more silent than noisey freight locomotives pulling or pushing heavier bi-level commuter rail cars. Using current railroad track saved tons of money building new tracks and buying right of way. Simply put, this commuter rail setup is about as cheap a rail system that could be built....

Sure, I would like to see these Stadlers on newly built track. Unfortunately, that would cost at least another one billion dollars. Add another billion for a route south of the Colorado River. At least this railroad curves about running north to the suburbs.

However, I noticed this railroad doesn't run anywhere near heavy density, mostly single family homes and a few shopping centers. Hopefully, some new condos and apartments will be built near some of the stations. There is plenty of vacant real estate along this line. From what I saw of Austin, the heaviest density is downtown. Period.

And yes, some of the railroad crossings could have been avoided by building overpasses or underpasses. But that would cost hundreds of millions as well. Forget the MoPac line. UP will never allow any passenger commuter rail to run down that line. UP might allow CapMetro to build a new line adjacent to their line, but then again that would cost another half billion at least.

As I said before, using this line is the only cheap solution. Buying DMUs another wise cheap solution. Unfortunately, Austin railroads don't provide for a excellent rail system. Hopefully this starter line is a success, which will eventually lead to new lines being built in a better location. But Austin will have to grow considerably, with much higher density.

The only good thing about this commuter line, is that in the long run it will be cheaper to operate than more park and ride express buses. The problem with buses has always been they are stuck in the same traffic hickups as automobiles are. The best part of my train ride was seeing all of those cars parked in long lines waiting for my train to pass the crossings. Nothing like thumbing motorists... Hee!Hee!

Old 03-25-2010, 06:44 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,063,046 times
Quote:
Simply put, this commuter rail setup is about as cheap a rail system that could be built....
Define cheap. Against what measurement is "cheap" defined?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin